Whole house system-----Elan?? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 11 Unread 04-17-2017, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Whole house system-----Elan??

Hello everyone. First off.....I am a newbie, so please excuse the dumb questions....

Didn't know whether I should post here or in the Home Automation, but I am sure someone will let me know if I am posting in the wrong forum.

I am considering putting together a system mainly to view CCTV and play audio on speakers I already have in my rooms. My house is wired already for a key pad.

I was considering the Elan VIA since I like the touch screens and can watch the CCTV on this pad. I would also include the Elan S12. I consider purchasing the hardware and software from eBay to program the VIA. Is there any thing else I need to build the system with the Elan components I mentioned? Should I consider another system?

I am not looking for top-of-the line systems, but I am looking for a system as I mentioned.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Unread 04-18-2017, 05:25 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Elan is my preferred WHA/HA system. I don't think you can beat it in terms of price, ease of use, etc.

Elan VIA! is very old, discontinued, no longer updated, gone. Do not buy this. It has been replaced by Elan g!. At minimum you'd need an Elan g1 or gSC2 depending on how many cameras you have an what zone controllers you're using for WHA. I think the S12 was a 6x12 unit? Now, you'll look towards the S86P, S86A, Niles MRC-6430, Speakercraft MRA-664, or an Autonomic E-Series amp to control your zones.

The software is readily available on the internet, although you will likely need some help. The Elan software is powerful and predictable, but not always intuitive. When choosing cameras, something with 3 onvif profiles is best if you're looking to record. If not recording, the standard two profiles is sufficient.

James Babin - System designer (http://www.myeasytek.com).
Like us on facebook!
post #3 of 11 Unread 04-19-2017, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response.

I wired my house 8 years ago and I ran 2 cat 5's, 2 RG 6's and speaker wires to the controller locations. I was originally looking at the Elan and Niles systems at that time, but the costs were outside my budget, so never finished that job.

Would I need more wires with these new systems? Other than the VIA being old, would the discontinued software affect the performance of the software?

I started looking at the VIA with S12, D1650, and Z-660.

Can I use the VIA software to program the newer systems?

post #4 of 11 Unread 04-21-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panman12 View Post
Thanks for the response.

I wired my house 8 years ago and I ran 2 cat 5's, 2 RG 6's and speaker wires to the controller locations. I was originally looking at the Elan and Niles systems at that time, but the costs were outside my budget, so never finished that job.

Would I need more wires with these new systems? Other than the VIA being old, would the discontinued software affect the performance of the software?

I started looking at the VIA with S12, D1650, and Z-660.

Can I use the VIA software to program the newer systems?
At this point, you only need 1 Cat5 to each touchpanel location. You can choose from the gTP4, gTP7, gTP12 or even gKP7. You would not need new wires, but the VIA software has been unsupported for so long that you would be missing out on all of the drivers for equipment that was released after it was discontinued, which was many years ago.

Your bill of materials would look more like g1 w/ 2x MRC-640. There's no composite video switching like there was on the S12. You may not need two MRC-6430 (or Elan S86A). You may be able to get by with one depending on your system.

There is still the Niles Auriel system available to you, which would still work. You should read these two posts I made:

g1 Write Up
MRC Write Up (Standalone, I was suggesting slave if using Elan)
Elan Overview

The Elan g! overview is from the older looking interface, but all the principals are the same.

Please note that with your prewire, you're not tied to any specific brand. Nowadays, you are completely over pulled, which is good, you could pretty much use anything.

Also, no you cannot use VIA software to program g!. The VIA software is archaic, I honestly have a hard time with it when I go to service old systems.

Like us on facebook!
post #5 of 11 Unread 04-25-2017, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

The write-up was very helpful.

The Niles system seems pretty easy to configure; however, it does not have the video connections like the Elan S86A. So I am leaning towards the S86A since I could use the VIA Quad to view camera inputs and it has quite a few video connections.

I assume I can use the gTP4, gTP7, gTP12 or gKP7 control panels where I can view the videos/cameras on these panels.
post #6 of 11 Unread 04-26-2017, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panman12 View Post
The write-up was very helpful.

The Niles system seems pretty easy to configure; however, it does not have the video connections like the Elan S86A. So I am leaning towards the S86A since I could use the VIA Quad to view camera inputs and it has quite a few video connections.

I assume I can use the gTP4, gTP7, gTP12 or gKP7 control panels where I can view the videos/cameras on these panels.
The S86A will work with the new g! system controllors. The gTP panels can view cameras, but it's done over IP not composite video. There's really no need for composite video switching, anything it used to do is still done it's just done differently. The gTP panels will not work with VIA, I'm not sure if that's what you were expecting or not.

Just so you know the S86A kind of has a weaker amp output. Fine for general background music, not really find if you have an outdoor zone. The S86P though will work with any amp.

Also, you can now use encoders to put any kind of stream onto the gTP panels. I haven't done this yet, usually it's just cameras, but from what I understand you can even take a live TV feed and pipe it through.

Like us on facebook!
post #7 of 11 Unread 04-26-2017, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Babin View Post
The S86A will work with the new g! system controllors. The gTP panels can view cameras, but it's done over IP not composite video. There's really no need for composite video switching, anything it used to do is still done it's just done differently. The gTP panels will not work with VIA, I'm not sure if that's what you were expecting or not.

Just so you know the S86A kind of has a weaker amp output. Fine for general background music, not really find if you have an outdoor zone. The S86P though will work with any amp.

Also, you can now use encoders to put any kind of stream onto the gTP panels. I haven't done this yet, usually it's just cameras, but from what I understand you can even take a live TV feed and pipe it through.
I read some where that The S86A/P needs to be programmed. Is this true? What hardware/software would I need to program it?

Do the gTP panels also need to be programmed?

Are any of the systems available out there plug and play or do they all need some level of programming?

Also read that the S86A/P is discontinued?
post #8 of 11 Unread Yesterday, 06:32 AM

Thte S86A/P is discontinued, but still relevant because it's really just an amp/audio controller. This is an example of a discontinued product that you could still use. The unit itself doesn't really need to be programmed, but the Elan unit that controls it would be.

The gTP's take their programming from the Elan controller.

Nothing Elan is plug and play. The Niles Auriel system is as close as you can get, it has panel programming.

Like us on facebook!
post #9 of 11 Unread Yesterday, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Your responses have been a huge help to me, so I really appreciate them.

So, since I already have amplifiers, now I am looking at purchasing the S86P along with gTP control panels. Do the gTP panels come with the software? If I plug the gTP panels into the S86P, would they work or do I still need to program the control panels?

What do I need to program the control panels if I need to program them?
post #10 of 11 Unread Yesterday, 04:57 PM

The gTP touch panels will not work if plugged into the S86. They are network devices and plug into the network. They require an Elan system controller in order to function. Elan software is dealer only, but it's really not hard to find.

You would need:

Elan g1/gSC2
Elan gTP4/7/12 touchpanels
Elan s86P
Network switch w/ POE, or POE Injectors

Honestly, I would advise you to consult an Elan dealer. It's a very complex system and wasn't really made to be DIY. That being said, it's incredibly powerful. It's definitely my system of choice, but with no design help and no access to the documentation I think that you should rethink or seek out a pro.

The Niles MRC-6430 was made to be DIY, requires no special software, has amp outputs, and doesn't require a system control (g1). If you wish to expand later, it can become slave to a g system. It's really not a lot more than an S86P. This might be a good route for you.

Like us on facebook!
post #11 of 11 Unread Today, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

The main reason I chose the S86 over the MRC-6430 is that the MRC-6430 has no video support and I need to view camera outputs on the display panels. If the MRC-6430 had video inputs then I would use it, but it would still have to be programmed, I believe....

Incidentally, folks are advertising that the gTP panels are plug and play into the S85 controllers.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
touchscreen