Psyclone PSC-47 HDMI switcher display - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-15-2017, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Psyclone PSC-47 HDMI switcher display

Picked one of these up off the 'bay to finish my horrible lashup of a vintage "home theater" system that still plays quad LPs. It looks great under my Oppo BDP-103. What I'm doing is this:

Cable box -> Psyclone
Roku -> Psyclone
Psyclone -> Oppo rear HDMI input

Oppo downmixes 5.1 or 7.1 to 4.0. Oppo analog out -> aux in of Sansui QRX-7001

Here's the problem. The Psyclone works great but the display fades out after a few seconds, making renaming sources irritating as snot. Looks like Psyclone Gaming has been out of business for a few years. Anyone have any hints as to where to look inside this thing? I'd love to have it working 100%. I'm going to program a Harmony remote to control the whole mess so it's all transparent save for working the controls on the QRX.

Yeah, I know, an AVR would be a better choice, but I like playing with old stuff and the Sui both looks and sounds great. No room in bedroom for a center channel or sub anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-15-2017, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 26
More info: I have determined that this ONLY happens on inputs that have a HDMI source connected to them.

e.g. right now I have a cable box on 3 and Roku on 4.

If I switch to Input 1 or Input 2 the display stays legible until the backlight times out. Even then, you can still read the words on the display.

If I select Input 3 or Input 4, the display is bright for a moment after switching to it, and then the words become faint, even before the backlight times out.

I just tried unplugging the HDMI cable from the cable box while watching cable, and the display immediately became legible again.

I haven't a clue what this means but I'd like to fix it. This little box is functionally and aesthetically just what I need, and they don't seem to show up very often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page