Can I use On Q system for internet through house? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-24-2017, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can I use On Q system for internet through house?

I have this box in a closet. There is power there. In several of the rooms, there are plates with three jacks. I would like to be able to have wired internet in the rooms that already have jacks. I don't know how to tell the difference between one that is just phone vs. could be used for an ethernet jack. Both fit into the jacks. Below this box is the phone line that has the DSL, so I could put the modem/router in here. Is there anywhere that will explain what these do or if it's possible to do what I want to do? I'm trying to save money by trying to figure it out myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wire1.JPG (151.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg wire2.JPG (163.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg wire3.JPG (102.8 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-24-2017, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked: 855
You're in decent shape, the easiest way to finish this is to buy an OnQ Network Module so you can move wires from the existing Telco module you have. Then connect from the Network Module to your switch/router (and modem you can put here too) with some short RJ45 "ethernet" patch cables and you're done.

This is what you need - you can probably find it cheaper: https://www.amazon.com/Q-363486-01-8...ds=onq+network

And the best thread to read is this one:

How does pre-wired ethernet work?

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
ethernet , onq

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page