• 1 Post By Falcon2915
  • 1 Post By jautor

post #1 of 4 Old 08-30-2017, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Will a switch work here?

My ISP feed comes into a metal box in the laundry room. They expect me to install my router in that box but I don’t want to because the metal box is not located for optimal WiFi coverage (and IT’S METAL! that can't be good...). Also, I want to put the router on a shelf in the (more centrally located) pantry where I have several NAS drives and a printer. There are three Cat6 Ethernet cables in the metal box going to the pantry, the master bedroom, and the living room. If I put a switch in front of my router will the Satellite TV box, the master bedroom Ethernet outlet, and the router all work as expected?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot311.jpg (16.1 KB, 38 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-30-2017, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crick616 View Post
My ISP feed comes into a metal box in the laundry room. They expect me to install my router in that box but I don’t want to because the metal box is not located for optimal WiFi coverage (and IT’S METAL! that can't be good...). Also, I want to put the router on a shelf in the (more centrally located) pantry where I have several NAS drives and a printer. There are three Cat6 Ethernet cables in the metal box going to the pantry, the master bedroom, and the living room. If I put a switch in front of my router will the Satellite TV box, the master bedroom Ethernet outlet, and the router all work as expected?
From looking at your diagram, you have the network switch and router backwards.

The input from your ISP has to go into your router first to negotiate packets, then forward to the network switch.

You could get round the problem by installing the router in the box where the ISP has dropped your incoming line (turn off it's WiFi radio), then run a separate access point from your better located switch outlet.
dan4081 likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-30-2017, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon2915 View Post
From looking at your diagram, you have the network switch and router backwards.

The input from your ISP has to go into your router first to negotiate packets, then forward to the network switch.

You could get round the problem by installing the router in the box where the ISP has dropped your incoming line (turn off it's WiFi radio), then run a separate access point from your better located switch outlet.
Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately I don't want to put the WiF router in a remotely located metal box. Its radio signal won't cover the desired area.

post #4 of 4 Old 08-31-2017, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by crick616 View Post
I don't want to put the WiF router in a remotely located metal box. Its radio signal won't cover the desired area.
Put the router there and turn off the WiFi (like Falcon suggested)... Then put one or more WiFi access points wherever makes sense in the house.
dan4081 likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page