Amazon Echo now supports whole home audio - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-30-2017, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Amazon Echo now supports whole home audio

Thought this would get some interest here since posters are always looking for different options for whole house audio.
Starting yesterday Amazon released an update allowing their Echos, Dots and Show to be used as a whole house audio system.
Echo Dots hooked to external speakers via the audio out sprinkled throughout the house makes for a very economical set up.

https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-lau...ack-for-alexa/

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-31-2017, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Did they fix the internal vs external audio "limitation"? Previously if you connected a cable to the audio output jack on the Dot, it muted the internal speaker always. So you couldn't use it very well, because if the audio amp/system wasn't turned on (or was auto on/off), you wouldn't hear Alexa voice responses.

They need to allow Alexa's voice control/response to remain on the internal speaker, and ONLY music (audio output) goes to the external jack/systems/speakers. And then, they'll have something cool for WHA. Oh, and they need to give the units individual locations/names, so you don't have to address them by room. "Alexa, turn on the lights", not "Alexa, turn on the <room name> lights" for every command... The latter is not natural, nor necessary, once you have multiple control points.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: I am fixing photo links in my theater thread - if you find dead photo links elsewhere, please PM me and I will fix it.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-31-2017, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Did they fix the internal vs external audio "limitation"? Previously if you connected a cable to the audio output jack on the Dot, it muted the internal speaker always. So you couldn't use it very well, because if the audio amp/system wasn't turned on (or was auto on/off), you wouldn't hear Alexa voice responses.

They need to allow Alexa's voice control/response to remain on the internal speaker, and ONLY music (audio output) goes to the external jack/systems/speakers. And then, they'll have something cool for WHA. Oh, and they need to give the units individual locations/names, so you don't have to address them by room. "Alexa, turn on the lights", not "Alexa, turn on the <room name> lights" for every command... The latter is not natural, nor necessary, once you have multiple control points.
They did not fix the internal vs external audio limitation.

I do like how I can now tell each echo to play music based on the echo name or group name so that is a big improvement. Not so good is that each echo can only go into one group which they need to improve.

Haven't tried it but I think the solution do the internal vs external audio limitation could be to disable the microphone on the dot with the external output and name it whole home echo. Then can say play music on whole home echo from any other echo.

Music stays in sync and works just fine. The most annoying thing is they closed the loophole where you could play multiple streams of prime or unlimited music from any echo at the same time. Before they prevented the fire tv and tablets from doing multiple streams but now you can't from the echo as well. So I will need to upgrade to unlimited family plan if I want to continue this.

post #4 of 4 Old 09-02-2017, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndvizio View Post
They did not fix the internal vs external audio limitation.

I do like how I can now tell each echo to play music based on the echo name or group name so that is a big improvement. Not so good is that each echo can only go into one group which they need to improve.

Haven't tried it but I think the solution do the internal vs external audio limitation could be to disable the microphone on the dot with the external output and name it whole home echo. Then can say play music on whole home echo from any other echo.

Music stays in sync and works just fine. The most annoying thing is they closed the loophole where you could play multiple streams of prime or unlimited music from any echo at the same time. Before they prevented the fire tv and tablets from doing multiple streams but now you can't from the echo as well. So I will need to upgrade to unlimited family plan if I want to continue this.
I just discovered this function after reading the "What's new with Alexa" email and immediately set up a group for everywhere. I've been waiting for this. You say each echo can only go in one group? So after I put all of them into "everywhere," I'm done? That doesn't make any sense. I hope that is not right or they fix it asap. Now I would like a playback only Dot that I can connect to each zone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page