Whole-house audio in a new home - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By jautor

post #1 of 2 Old 09-04-2017, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Question Whole-house audio in a new home

My in-laws are anything but tech savvy and while they're not on a tight budget, I'd like to ensure they're not taken for a ride by their AV installer. They're building a new home this year, which is to be pre-wired for speakers in most rooms, but they're either being given confusing information or simply misunderstanding the info.

They currently have a 5.1 setup with a fairly open floor plan, so centrally located music has been satisfying for them. The new home is significantly larger and they wish to have the music (they do not care about home theater / surround sound) playable in the living room, most/all bedrooms or studies, as well as the backyard. Is this possible on just a single receiver located in the living room? I was ready to tell them to use Sonos instead of a full array of speakers in various rooms, but only because of how straightforward it could be for them to use. They are, however, a bit resistant to Sonos because the home builder is running wires for in-wall / in-ceiling applications, so I think they're likening Sonos to not being fancy enough?

My main concern is that they don't get more equipment than is necessary, and that the final product leaves them with something they're capable of controlling without issues. They tend to play music the entire time they're home, unless they turn on the TV in which case it simply switches to their cable box rather than satellite radio. Pretty straightforward use, until they try controlling multiple zones (like all-off except bedroom, or all-on except patio, etc) where they may have some trouble.

Sorry for such a vague, open-ended question of a post - if there are any excellent articles to refer me to for me to review & pass along to them, that's also quite helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-04-2017, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked: 855
Short answer is no, an AVR will not suffice by itself. As for Sonos, you probably didn't look at the right products - look at the Connect:AMP, which is meant for WHA usage with wired speakers...

Given your description, you should looo at the Denon hEOS products, which are similar to the Sonos, but Denon offers several AVR models with HEOS built in, which makes it easy to find integrate with the WHA zones...

Jeff
ahard and CrabRangoon like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page