Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 09-04-2017, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Confused about WHA options

Hi all,

I'm in the design process of a new house and am looking to put in a home automation system as well as whole house AV. I've poked around enough to have figured out how to do the automation stuff and I see a few different ways to do the whole house Audio. The video part seems more of a problem and I'm confused about how it might work. Here's what I'm thinking of doing, I would greatly appreciate anyone who can fill in the gaps or explain where I'm missing something.

There will be 5 zones in the house. 3 of those will have TVs the other 2 just music. 2 of the TV locations will be full 5.1 systems. All speakers will be wired into the ceilings and the plan is to control as much as possible from a central closet. I need to get cable/dvr to the 3 TV's as well as standard streaming services and a blu ray player (one that could go to any of them is fine). Then I also want to be able to do music to all streamed from standard services as well as off of my hard drive.

1. I have a Denon AVR that I think can handle the two 5.1 systems, at least for processing. I think I'll need more amps. That's fine. Will get all the amps necessary.

2. TIVO Bolt for cable and DVR. It can also do video streaming. Then 2 TIVO mini's for other TVs? Only concern is how to route sound from the devices into the AVR. Do they need to be co-located with the TV's or can they be in the closet? Do I even need the mini's?

3. I would want at least one Blu ray player in there that could be played to the TV's. One at a time would be fine.

4. I was thinking of getting a Wink Hub 2 for automation (controlling locks, thermostat and garage door). Then I was also seeing that the Elan system seems to do most of the same things and would also serve as a front end for the AV system. Would the Wink be needed if I got an Elan controller? I've been looking for a while and can't figure out exactly what Elan hardware I would need or what each device does. I like the idea of a controller like the Elan as my wife insists that the system be very easy to control. That one seems cost effective and easy to operate (once it is installed). Also seems like if the TIVO units are all in the closet, they could be controlled through the Elan system, thus no need for co-locating. I could then control everything through phones and tablets.

Any thoughts on if this plan will work or suggestions for better ones are appreciated. Also if anyone knows about the Elan products and could point me to which controller I would need, also appreciated. I will likely eventually have a pro installer put it all together, but I would prefer to have an idea what to ask for rather than just have them put in a lot of things I don't need. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page