Can I run video distribution over CAT-6 through my patch? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Joe Fernand

post #1 of 8 Old 09-05-2017, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Can I run video distribution over CAT-6 through my patch?

Hopefully that title made sense. I'm finishing up a remodel where I ran a lot of CAT-6 for future proofing. A lot of that CAT-6 will be for POE, video distribution, audio control pads, etc. My question is, can I punch that CAT-6 down in my patch or should I terminate the ends and plug them directly into whatever device I'm using at that time? I'd much prefer to punch everything down but am I going to have problems with this approach? Or is it a case where it will be fine for POE and audio control pads but won't work with a Just Add Power matrix? Just trying to figure out what I should and shouldn't do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-05-2017, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 2
For the sake of a clean install, you can finish it all into Patch Panels. The one thing to consider though is, if you are planning to do any HDBaseT video distribution, it might be better to have a straight run through to the devices. Are you using shielded CAT6A for the video distribution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 Old 09-06-2017, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon2915 View Post
Are you using shielded CAT6A for the video distribution?
Sadly, my installer didn't follow my instructions. I had existing UTP twisted on hand that I had wanted to use for lower priority wiring and had purchased solid STP that I wanted for more critical wiring including video distribution. The installer installed whatever was at hand at that moment and I didn't notice until the walls were up. At this point it's dumb luck what I have at any drop.

post #4 of 8 Old 09-06-2017, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Heavner View Post
Hopefully that title made sense. I'm finishing up a remodel where I ran a lot of CAT-6 for future proofing. A lot of that CAT-6 will be for POE, video distribution, audio control pads, etc. My question is, can I punch that CAT-6 down in my patch or should I terminate the ends and plug them directly into whatever device I'm using at that time? I'd much prefer to punch everything down but am I going to have problems with this approach? Or is it a case where it will be fine for POE and audio control pads but won't work with a Just Add Power matrix? Just trying to figure out what I should and shouldn't do.
I used an Octava product for my HDMI over unshielded Cat6, punched down to a patch panel. I've got one Cat5e as a temp run while I'm running the Cat6 overhead, and it is working fine.

The Octava rep here said it is best to run direct, but should be ok on a patch. Works great for me, but I've only got two TV's up and running now. So far so good.

To Hell with Georgia...
post #5 of 8 Old 09-06-2017, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
I used an Octava product for my HDMI over unshielded Cat6, punched down to a patch panel. I've got one Cat5e as a temp run while I'm running the Cat6 overhead, and it is working fine.

The Octava rep here said it is best to run direct, but should be ok on a patch. Works great for me, but I've only got two TV's up and running now. So far so good.
Ya know, that's a good idea. I've got multiple drops at every location and most locations have a dedicated ethernet drop that will be punched down that I could use to test.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-06-2017, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 225
'ideally' we install solid core, non-CCA CAT6 terminated with RJ45 on each end and no breaks in the signal path - as Yellow Jacket points out we don't always get the ideal scenario so our Extender kit has to be pretty 'robust'

Joe
bluewaves likes this.

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

Ruipro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial system Design, Consultancy, Installation, Supply and Integration.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-06-2017, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Heavner View Post
Ya know, that's a good idea. I've got multiple drops at every location and most locations have a dedicated ethernet drop that will be punched down that I could use to test.
Let me clarify...I've got Cat6 run everywhere I intend to place TV's. One I have up and running is on the Cat6 and doing fine. One other that I'm running Cat6 from above I'm running a Cat5e long patch until I can get the Cat6 in and terminated.

So far, everything is running great, and I'm thrilled. My connections are punched down to a patch panel.

I've got some other locations already wired where I can bring a small TV and the Octave 'magic box' and test it out, which I'll do when the new wears off and I get motivated to get off the couch - no hurry though. Losing to the filthy, horrid rocky-top rednecks set me back, so this weekend will likely include no additional motivation.

I bought a $99 monoprice extender kit that I'll trade you for a case of beer if you're interested. The Octava product is significantly more expensive, but in my opinion, well worth the investment.

YJ

To Hell with Georgia...
post #8 of 8 Old 09-07-2017, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Let me clarify...I've got Cat6 run everywhere I intend to place TV's. One I have up and running is on the Cat6 and doing fine. One other that I'm running Cat6 from above I'm running a Cat5e long patch until I can get the Cat6 in and terminated.

So far, everything is running great, and I'm thrilled. My connections are punched down to a patch panel.

I've got some other locations already wired where I can bring a small TV and the Octave 'magic box' and test it out, which I'll do when the new wears off and I get motivated to get off the couch - no hurry though. Losing to the filthy, horrid rocky-top rednecks set me back, so this weekend will likely include no additional motivation.

I bought a $99 monoprice extender kit that I'll trade you for a case of beer if you're interested. The Octava product is significantly more expensive, but in my opinion, well worth the investment.

YJ
No, I get what you're saying and it makes sense. My thought was that if twisted UTP works punched down and I have a solid core piece of CAT-6 beside it that I was trying to decide if I wanted to punch down then that would be a pretty good indicator of success. My problem is that tech is changing so quickly in the space that what may work today for 4K@30fps might not work for 4k@60fps that also supports the latest in <insert whatever here>. But I'm assuming that will probably be more a practical limitation of CAT6 and not termination hygiene.

A good friend that works on the regulatory side of a very large tech/media company believes that wireless will soon replace physical infrastructure inside the home. I think he's dreaming (and wishing I'd run fiber).

I have some previous generation HMDI over CAT5 products from Monoprice along with an older 4x4 matrix. I'm pretty early days in planning and budgeting for that because I have a lot of equipment to buy before I get to that point. I've looked briefly at a couple solutions but I'm not familiar with Octava. I'll have to check it out.

I understand bad losses. We were beaten by the Hokies in a game I thought we should win. UT did kinda back into the win over GT from what I saw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page