Whole House Audio - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-11-2017, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Whole House Audio

I saw someone else post about this recently, but the answers didn't do much for me other than point me at a Monoprice multi-zone device, which did look pretty neat... I used to be into home audio when I was in high school, before all this cool streaming stuff, whole-house, etc... I was looking for information on suggestions on how to hook up home audio systems that would allow for streaming/control from my family's i-devices. SONOS comes up most frequently and I saw it at someone's house recently, which was pretty cool. However, my wants are for up to 4-5 bedrooms, dining room, den, great room/kitchen and basement to have ceiling/wall speakers and be able to control it from my phone/i-device. I have yet to find any good sites that suggest the best solutions (and compare!) them. The SONOS site doesn't seem to be able to explain a lot of it to me and vendors all seem to push their favorites, but no comparisons.

In any event, does anyone have any links to setups like this where there are pro's and con's? I will probably eventually end up heading to an AV shop or two, but I want to have an idea of what I should look at and what questions to ask before I do so.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-11-2017, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Lots of threads here with this info...

But basically, for using architectural (in-wall/ceiling) speakers, which is normal for WHA systems, you just use a stack of the "zone streamer/amplifier" units from whatever system/vendor you choose. The stack goes in a central location where all the wiring comes (assuming it exists), just like a traditional multichannel system would.

Some of the vendors with streamer products offer multi-zone boxes (essentially 2-4 zones in one, typically rack-mountable, box) which make it cheaper/cleaner for a large number of zones, but the results in terms of functions and usability is the same. Denon HEOS, Russound and NuVo all have those multi-zone boxes. Sonos doesn't, so you just use X Sonos Connect:AMP boxes. And of course, you only buy as many zones as you need (which is a big advantage of these modular systems, no wasted components).

As far as comparison, all of these systems will do the job, and at least in the mainstream feature set, all do basically the same thing. The difference will be in the more specialized features, pricing, and DIY vs installer/dealer availability.

I will point out one advantage for Denon HEOS and Yamaha MusicCast - both companies offer AVRs with their streamers built-in, which makes it very simple and easy to integrate zones that need surround capabilities - which you probably have at least one or two of those! The other systems you'd use the pre-amp streamer product (Sonos Connect, NuVo P300, etc.) attached as a source to any AVR...

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix it.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-12-2017, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 225
SONOS is pretty straightforward - you choose the style of Zone Player which works best for each Zone in your home.

Where you want to go with 'installed' loudspeakers you have one 'CONNECT:AMP' Zone Player per Zone - as Jeff says you can either 'home run' all of your speaker cables to a central cabinet and put all of the Zone Players in that space or you can have them dotted around the house.

A CONNECT:AMP can power two or four speakers without any additional hardware - handy if you have a Zone + a Sub Zone.

Key to trouble free operation is good Wi-Fi cover around your home.

The SONOS User Interface is one area many folk like and find easy to learn.

You can use each Zone stand alone from the other Zones or very quickly 'group' and ungroup Zones where you want the same audio across multiple Zones.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

Ruipro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial system Design, Consultancy, Installation, Supply and Integration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page