AV Rack in Garage Closet - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-12-2017, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
AV Rack in Garage Closet

I have a closet off of my garage that is about 4ft x 12ft. It's insulated on 3 sides. Could this be a suitable location for an AV rack? I had thought about running an 6-8" hvac drop to keep the room somewhat conditioned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-13-2017, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw4u View Post
I have a closet off of my garage that is about 4ft x 12ft. It's insulated on 3 sides. Could this be a suitable location for an AV rack? I had thought about running an 6-8" hvac drop to keep the room somewhat conditioned.
You cannot mix air between the garage and the house. Against code because of CO risk. Dropping an HVAC duct wouldn't help anyway, as it would only cool the closet when the system is actually running (and for only some of the year).

You may be able to just circulate air between the closet and the garage with some 24/7 fans and enough vent panels to allow "fresh" air into the closet. But unconditioned spaces like garages are not recommended for expensive electronic gear - the dust, humidity, etc. are not good for longevity.

Now, if you can seal up the room, and provide both HVAC drop and a return, so that it becomes part of the conditioned space of the house (and not part of the garage air), that would work. You'd put an exhaust fan in the HVAC return (and likely one in reverse on the supply) to circulate air through the HVAC ductwork, effectively dumping the warm but conditioned air into the house. I would not do this without consulting someone to ensure it's up to code and safe (because of the garage).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page