Monoprice HDMI Matrix (5704) Audio Issue Directv - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-14-2017, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Monoprice HDMI Matrix (5704) Audio Issue Directv

Ive had this HDMI matrix for a while and can't imagine that the Directv box has always has this issue. But my audio is only outputting at 2 channel. if i run the DTV HR44 directly to my pre/pro, 5.1 as expected. Additionally, my Xbox One goes thru the MP 5704 to my pre/pro in the same fashion and input is 7.1 as expected.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-14-2017, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 2788
if any displays connected to the matrix are 2 ch audio, then you will be limited to 2 channel on all outputs

you could use an optical cable from the stb to your processor, and set audio in the menu to dolby digital: but then the other TV's connected to the switch will not pass HDMI audio

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess this is a red flag issue
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
Test Reports HDMI Cables that support 18GBPS&HDMI 2.0b
post #3 of 6 Old 09-14-2017, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesne View Post
Ive had this HDMI matrix for a while and can't imagine that the Directv box has always has this issue. But my audio is only outputting at 2 channel. if i run the DTV HR44 directly to my pre/pro, 5.1 as expected. Additionally, my Xbox One goes thru the MP 5704 to my pre/pro in the same fashion and input is 7.1 as expected.

Any ideas?
have you looked at the manual for your hdmi matrix? I also have a monoprice matrix, and while they offer great value, they have pretty terrible documentation/customization.

I was frustrated that my matrix was only outputting 4K30Hz, despite supporting 4K60Hz, and after a few weeks of trying to change out cables/etc, I decided to look at the manual on the CD that came with my matrix, and found that the the outputs have a configurable EDID, and the default EDID was set to 4K30Hz. I was able to use the web interface to change the EDID to 4K60Hz w/ 7.1 ch audio, and then all was well.

Check your documentation to see if it's a EDID limitation. Chances are you may need to configure some settings in your switch to get exactly what you want.

post #4 of 6 Old 09-14-2017, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
if any displays connected to the matrix are 2 ch audio, then you will be limited to 2 channel on all outputs

you could use an optical cable from the stb to your processor, and set audio in the menu to dolby digital: but then the other TV's connected to the switch will not pass HDMI audio

I have 3 other TVs connected with 2 channel audio only and Xbox outputs 7.1 fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 Old 09-14-2017, 11:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesne View Post
I have 3 other TVs connected with 2 channel audio only and Xbox outputs 7.1 fine.
Perhaps, until you view the Xbox output on one of those 3 other TVs at the same time, then the HDMI audio will either downshift to 2-channel PCM or you'll get no audio on those displays. If you're lucky, your source(s) will switch back to 5.1/7.1 when the 2-channel displays are switched to other sources on the matrix, but that depends on the implementation...

This is how HDMI audio works - it's not the fault of the matrix, and the only way around the limitation is to upgrade all of the displays to either new units that support 5.1 audio, or add HDMI soundbars to accomplish the same thing.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix it.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-15-2017, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Perhaps, until you view the Xbox output on one of those 3 other TVs at the same time, then the HDMI audio will either downshift to 2-channel PCM or you'll get no audio on those displays. If you're lucky, your source(s) will switch back to 5.1/7.1 when the 2-channel displays are switched to other sources on the matrix, but that depends on the implementation...

This is how HDMI audio works - it's not the fault of the matrix, and the only way around the limitation is to upgrade all of the displays to either new units that support 5.1 audio, or add HDMI soundbars to accomplish the same thing.

Jeff
I will attempt to unplug all outputs but the pre/pro and see what happens this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page