confusion on impedance matching volume control, help please - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-16-2017, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
confusion on impedance matching volume control, help please

Hello first post,

I'm trying to setup audio in two rooms of our home. I have a pioneer elite vsx-47tx receiver and for speaker a pair of bose 201 series III and a pair of monitor audio silver 5i bookshelf. From the documentation the speakers are both rated at 8 ohm. I have one pair on the A channel and the other on the B channel.

The issue or confusion I'm having is the volume control jumper settings. The documentation I have on the ON Q volume controls part number 364769-01 indicates for one speaker pair the jumpers should be on the 1x position as in attached photo. This is for both input and output. When I set the system up like this the receiver will self protect and shut down if the volume is turned up to the higher end. The time it takes to shutdown varies. The volume on the receiver itself. I measured the output and input sides with my fluke for ohm. The output side is only .2 ohm at 1x, if i put the jumper to 8x the ohm go up to 1. Should the output be 8 ohm no matter what? How do these jumpers need to be set? the input side ohm jump around anywhere from 5 to 11 ohm while playing audio.

What am I doing wrong? Do I have the wrong volume controls for my application?

Any help would be appreciated thank you

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3384.JPG (508.5 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-17-2017, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw63 View Post
I'm trying to setup audio in two rooms of our home. I have a pioneer elite vsx-47tx receiver and for speaker a pair of bose 201 series III and a pair of monitor audio silver 5i bookshelf. From the documentation the speakers are both rated at 8 ohm. I have one pair on the A channel and the other on the B channel.
The AVR allows for a pair of 8ohm speakers to be attached to both the "A" and "B" terminals, so you don't need any additional impedance matching... But since your volume control has it - just set them to "1X".

Quote:
The issue or confusion I'm having is the volume control jumper settings. The documentation I have on the ON Q volume controls part number 364769-01 indicates for one speaker pair the jumpers should be on the 1x position as in attached photo. This is for both input and output.
Actually that's for the "left" and "right" channels (both are inputs). But yes, 1X is the position you should use.

Quote:
When I set the system up like this the receiver will self protect and shut down if the volume is turned up to the higher end. The time it takes to shutdown varies. The volume on the receiver itself.
This may be due to a stray speaker wire between terminals, either on the AVR end, speaker end, or at the volume control. Check all your connections for a potential short - you may be chasing that instead of an issue with the volume controls.

Best thing to do is isolate the problem - take the VC out of the equation and just connect the speakers directly (temporarily wire nuts) and make sure that works.

Quote:
I measured the output and input sides with my fluke for ohm. The output side is only .2 ohm at 1x, if i put the jumper to 8x the ohm go up to 1. Should the output be 8 ohm no matter what? How do these jumpers need to be set? the input side ohm jump around anywhere from 5 to 11 ohm while playing audio.
It's impedance, not simple resistance... Your ohmmeter won't help here.

Are you just installing the volume control on the "B" speakers? Again, do the "B" speakers work fine without the volume control installed? Do you get the same behavior with the "A" speakers (with one or both pairs)?

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix it.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-17-2017, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply!

Everything works with the volume controls removed. What I have done. I connected the 2 runs coming from each room in to 1. I moved the input jumper to 2x and left the output at 1x. So now I have all of the speakers and controls on the A channel. I've made a 1 source 2 zone setup. So far everything is running without any shutdowns.

Andy

post #4 of 11 Old 09-17-2017, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

So if the jumpers are for left and right channels. And indicate number of speaker attached to each side. I have configured it wrong. I will need to put the jumper back to 1x, or should I put the other side to 2x? If set to 2x on both side indicating 4 speakers total on the A channel?
post #5 of 11 Old 09-17-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Everything works with the volume controls removed. What I have done. I connected the 2 runs coming from each room in to 1.
Huh? Not following that. Do you have one volume control, or two? Are you attempting to insert a volume control for both pairs of speakers?

Quote:
I moved the input jumper to 2x and left the output at 1x. So now I have all of the speakers and controls on the A channel. I've made a 1 source 2 zone setup. So far everything is running without any shutdowns.
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Do you want a wall-mounted control for both rooms, or just one?

Those aren't "input and output" settings - it's left and right channel. They should be set to the same value for essentially any setup...

Quote:
So if the jumpers are for left and right channels. And indicate number of speaker attached to each side. I have configured it wrong. I will need to put the jumper back to 1x, or should I put the other side to 2x? If set to 2x on both side indicating 4 speakers total on the A channel?
You're going to have to give us a diagram or an explanation of what you're attempting to do, where the speakers are in relation to the volume control(s) and where the wiring goes.

You really don't want to attach multiple pairs of speakers behind a single volume control - although with 2 pairs it can work, but really defeats the purpose of the volume control when the speakers are in different rooms. If you're trying to move volume control to each zone, put a volume control in each room.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix it.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-18-2017, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for taking the time to help. I have attached a diagram or my current running setup. The system is running great no shutdowns. I did remove the vol controls from the system and tested without. While the volume controls where removed from the system. I had each room on a separate channel A/B. The system ran great. Only problem is volume could only be adjusted from the receiver. Now the system is as the diagram shows. Do I still have the jumpers setup wrong? my receiver is good for 4-8 ohm.

Thank you

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg room audio.jpg (249.2 KB, 6 views)
post #7 of 11 Old 09-18-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to help. I have attached a diagram or my current running setup.
That helps a lot...

Quote:
Do I still have the jumpers setup wrong? my receiver is good for 4-8 ohm.
If the AVR is rated for 4-ohm loads (which I don't believe it is - the manual says 6-16 ohm), hooking the two 8-ohm pairs in parallel would be fine.

But regardless of the AVR's ratings, I'd set both volume controls to their "2X" setting.

Jeff

post #8 of 11 Old 09-18-2017, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you I will leave it as is.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-18-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Thank you I will leave it as is.
If you don't have both jumpers set to the same value, you'll get different volume levels from the left and right speakers - make sure both channel jumpers match (2X preferred).

post #10 of 11 Old 09-18-2017, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

They are, its setup just like the diagram.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-18-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
They are, its setup just like the diagram.
Ok, good, I didn't catch that detail in the diagram...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page