Problems switching formats - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-20-2017, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Problems switching formats

It's not exactly for home theater, but the section still applies, I think. I'm trying to send wireless video to create a remote security system monitor in a building where hard wiring is near impossible.

Edit: the site won't let me put links in here so I'm going to have to put the item name and search on Amazon to see what I'm using.
My components:
From the DVR: HDMI to Component A/V
Wonlyus HDMI to AV Converter,1080p HDMI to 3RCA CVBS AV Composite Video Audio Adapter

A/V Component Wireless Transmitter/Receiver:
Signstek Pat-530 5.8GHz Wireless AV Sender Transmitter 2 Receivers IR Remote Audio Video *Blue*

Component A/V to VGA for Monitor:
SLLEA RCA Composite AV S-Video to VGA Converter Box

Even when I take out the wireless system and plug the HDMI to component converter into the component to VGA converter, I'm not getting anything but a blue screen. It's not the DVR because I plugged a monitor directly into the DVR to check the video signal.
Can anybody tell me what's going on here?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-20-2017, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
That's a lot of conversion going on. Have you ruled out an HDMI handshake issue?
post #3 of 5 Old 09-20-2017, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have no idea what you mean.

post #4 of 5 Old 09-20-2017, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 225
If you need a wireless remote security system there is a whole Industry dedicated to that task with off the shelf solutions you can self install.

Converting HDMI to/from something else can be tricky - cascading a bunch of Converters you will have to know exactly what each device does to the signal and what format your end point supports.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

Ruipro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial system Design, Consultancy, Installation, Supply and Integration.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-21-2017, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
What Joe said.

HDMI handshake refers to the two HDMI devices being able to see and speak with each other. When you turn one on, it reaches out and gets some basic info from the other. This is called the handshake. This is critical for digitally protected streams (like from a bluray). But anything in the middle between your HDMI sender (camera system) and receiver (monitor) can muck that handshake up.

Converting multiple times seems like a bad idea. Each one is a point of failure. Generally speaking, converting the analog signals will be easier than the digital, or at least less error prone. Component and VGA don't have handshaking. However, the HDMI over Cat5/6 devices work pretty damn good now. There's no way to run a single drop between the two locations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page