HDMI matrix switch recommendation - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jautor

post #1 of 16 Old 09-23-2017, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HDMI matrix switch recommendation

I have been looking for an HDMI matrix switch (4K and HDCP 2.2) to connect two 4K devices to my two televisions (one is 4K and one is 1080p). Does anyone have a suggestion? Thank you very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-23-2017, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by haninger View Post
I have been looking for an HDMI matrix switch (4K and HDCP 2.2) to connect two 4K devices to my two televisions (one is 4K and one is 1080p). Does anyone have a suggestion? Thank you very much.
You do know that if you connect the 1080p display to these, you'll only get 1080p from those sources (on both displays), correct? Getting 4K on the one display may require power cycling or restarting the sources (it will depend on both the sources' behavior and the matrix)...

With only two sources and two displays, do you really need to share the sources? Dedicate 4K sources to the 4K display unless you're trying to do simultaneous viewing.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix it.
post #3 of 16 Old 09-23-2017, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

The 1080p TV is in my bedroom on the opposite side of the wall as the 4K TV in my living room. The HDMI cable from 1080p TV runs through to the wall to the same sources which is why I wanted to share them. I don't use both TVs at the same time though.

post #4 of 16 Old 09-23-2017, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

That said, I do want to watch the 4K content on my 4K TV. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
post #5 of 16 Old 09-23-2017, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
You do know that if you connect the 1080p display to these, you'll only get 1080p from those sources (on both displays), correct? Getting 4K on the one display may require power cycling or restarting the sources (it will depend on both the sources' behavior and the matrix)...

With only two sources and two displays, do you really need to share the sources? Dedicate 4K sources to the 4K display unless you're trying to do simultaneous viewing.
This is simply not true. I have personal experience with this subject. My cheap monoprice blackbird matrix switch has built-in EDID selection. What it does is allow you to pre-set the output of your source based on a user-selectable EDID. With this approach you can have one 4K TV and one 1080p TV on the same matrix switch and both can output at whatever you set the EDID to.
post #6 of 16 Old 09-23-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post
This is simply not true.
Yes, it is... But perhaps you took my statement a step further than intended...

Quote:
My cheap monoprice blackbird matrix switch has built-in EDID selection. What it does is allow you to pre-set the output of your source based on a user-selectable EDID. With this approach you can have one 4K TV and one 1080p TV on the same matrix switch and both can output at whatever you set the EDID to.
Yes, and if you're viewing the same source on both displays, it will be 1080p on both (not 1080p on one, and 4K on the other). Either that, or you get 4K on one, and a black screen on the 1080p.

EDID management can help improve the matrix experience by allowing you to select the preferred behavior - but none of these devices will allow viewing of different resolutions from a single source.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix it.
post #7 of 16 Old 09-23-2017, 10:51 AM

Oh, and if it were me, I'd seriously consider upgrading the 1080p display to a 4K model and then using a pair of simple HDMI (4K-capable) splitters. You could either repurpose the 1080p display or sell it to offset the cost. And with splitters instead of a matrix, you avoid the need to provide remote control of that component (select TV sources using existing remotes instead of dealing with another device).

Unless you're expecting that 2x2 to grow to add more displays over time...

post #8 of 16 Old 09-23-2017, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, it is... But perhaps you took my statement a step further than intended...

Yes, and if you're viewing the same source on both displays, it will be 1080p on both (not 1080p on one, and 4K on the other). Either that, or you get 4K on one, and a black screen on the 1080p.

EDID management can help improve the matrix experience by allowing you to select the preferred behavior - but none of these devices will allow viewing of different resolutions from a single source.

Jeff
Ahh yes, you are correct on that. If you're trying to split a single source to 2 outputs then yes, this is a limitation. I suppose I misunderstood your post as though you can't mix TVs with different resolutions on a single switch, which isn't the case. It's when you try to split an input to multiple outputs where you have obvious limitations.
post #9 of 16 Old 09-23-2017, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Oh, and if it were me, I'd seriously consider upgrading the 1080p display to a 4K model and then using a pair of simple HDMI (4K-capable) splitters. You could either repurpose the 1080p display or sell it to offset the cost. And with splitters instead of a matrix, you avoid the need to provide remote control of that component (select TV sources using existing remotes instead of dealing with another device).

Unless you're expecting that 2x2 to grow to add more displays over time...
indeed. even cheap matrix 4K matrix switches go for $500 or more. You can get a cheap 4K display at that price. Unless it's a fancy 1080p like an old panny plasma or kuro, I wouldn't even go through the trouble.
post #10 of 16 Old 09-23-2017, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked: 2791
it also depends what sources you want to split

for example I tried to split the output of a DirecTV C61K 4K box: it worked fine on ch 104, but ch 106 was problematic

splitting 4K (especially HDR) can be problematic: suggest you test any solution first

this is the splitter I tried: https://atlona.com/product/at-ron-442/

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess this is a red flag issue
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
Test Reports HDMI Cables that support 18GBPS&HDMI 2.0b

Last edited by markrubin; 09-23-2017 at 11:16 AM.
post #11 of 16 Old 09-23-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
The 1080p TV is in my bedroom on the opposite side of the wall as the 4K TV in my living room. The HDMI cable from 1080p TV runs through to the wall to the same sources which is why I wanted to share them. I don't use both TVs at the same time though.
Quote:
That said, I do want to watch the 4K content on my 4K TV. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
What are the sources? Given your usage a pair of splitters may be the cheapest and easiest path, but could still be problematic depending on how everything ends up working together. As Mark suggested, try one and get it from a retailer with good return policies in case it doesn't work.

Certainly understand wanting to share the sources when everything is close by!

EDIT: Two of these may be your best bet - it claims HDCP 2.2 support which you'll need in the future if not now...

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15258

Last edited by jautor; 09-23-2017 at 11:26 AM.
post #12 of 16 Old 09-23-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post
I suppose I misunderstood your post as though you can't mix TVs with different resolutions on a single switch, which isn't the case. It's when you try to split an input to multiple outputs where you have obvious limitations.
Mixing resolutions (or more completely, mixing AV "capabilities") on the outputs is where we run into problems with HDMI matrix solutions. We were getting close to a decent point as displays are mostly 1080p (not 720p), and many (most?) accept DD5.1 - so at least the common denominator was something with surround sound and full resolution. But now 4K comes along and raises the bar again!
Hisma likes this.

post #13 of 16 Old 09-23-2017, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

The sources are the new 4K Apple TV, a 4K DVD player, and a computer that I need to see now and then on the 4K TV. It's a pain to run more HDMI cables through the walls. I never need to use both TVs at once. Thanks again!
post #14 of 16 Old 09-24-2017, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 225
You can achieve what you require now by combining the HDFury Integral with the HDFury Linker - later this year the Vertex will combine most of the functionality of those two devices into a single unit which will do what you require.

As others have suggested replacing the HD Display may be a better option for you.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

Ruipro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial system Design, Consultancy, Installation, Supply and Integration.
post #15 of 16 Old 09-25-2017, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Given the added cost of the new matrix I'll just replace my 1080p as recommended. However, I'll still need a 2+ input 2 output 4K splitter that supports HDCP 2.2, right? Any suggestions for those? I would probably prefer 3 inputs. Thabks again for all of the expert advice.
post #16 of 16 Old 09-27-2017, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 225
HDF Integral will work if both Displays support the same range of signals.

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page