Projector won't display or "May all HDMI switchers go to hell" - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-23-2017, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Projector won't display or "May all HDMI switchers go to hell"

Just installed a Denon AVR-S920W with 6 of the 7 HDMI outputs spoken for. This unit has two HDMI outputs. The second output has a Rocketfish HDMI splitter feeding a Panasonic plasma and a small cheap Sansui HD TV.

The disturbing problem I'm experiencing is that a Panasonic projector ("isolated" on the main HDMI output") simply repetitively flashes to its input page rather than, say, the cable signal. Sometimes, not usually, a hocus-pocus combination of button pushing will finally get me the correct signal. Stranger, the projector turns on perfectly if the other two monitors, on the second HDMI output, especially the Panasonic, are turned on simultaneously. Likewise the small Sansui TV will show signal only if the Panasonic is on. Though, again, I can get the Sansui going solo through pushing a (seemingly) random set of component resets.

I expect all this is the dastardly work of that splitter as it affects HCPC. In past I set up a system with plenty of (expensive) HDMI splitters and switchers only to pull all of them because of unpredictable video. Is it now too much to ask for one little split on that second HDMI out? Apparently so.

So I have just purchased an HDMI SWITCHER that needs a button push to change outputs. The thinking is that as long as all the machinery sees only one machine at a time maybe it will behave.

Any thoughts?

Rob

Oh, and I see at the top of my AVSForum page the message: "Welcome, Rob BG. You last visited: 12-31-1969." I think this proof positive that I had a computer before any of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-23-2017, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I assume you're using the HDMI zone 2 output so you can use the AVR as a matrix switch?

Crazy thinking, but do you still have some of those splitters you took out? It sounds to me like an HDCP issue somewhere in the chain, and it is sounding like it might be between the AVR and the projector since the other TVs are working. I'd try a second splitter on that main HDMI out of the AVR, since those splitters (by design if not advertising) have to defeat HDCP. Worth a shot if you have the parts around.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-23-2017, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the reply. "Matrix Switch" sounds a little above my pay grade but I'm not needing the zone 2 audio for any purpose. (Sounds like there is a secret use for it though?)

Lots of splitters and switches stuffed in an old box somewhere. Note the small Sansui TV also would not work unless the Panasonic TV was running - similar to projector. I'll try a 4-splitter instead of the Rocketfish 2-split. But I'm pegging my success on a tiny new HDMI switch I just purchased to selectively block out one of the TVs. My original intention was to keep the projector on its own pure HDMI output.

In another room I have similar semi-unpredictable results of a splitter feeding the cable signal to two TVs (bar and main family room TV). Even though I have a separate receiver for each set, I can remotely turn off and on the main TV and this action will sometimes affect the bar TV. I have some suspicion that the TV feature that allows TVs to turn on and off when they receive a signal from the receiver could be at play here too.

Title meant to read: "May all splitters go to hell." We'll soon see about switchers.

RBG

post #4 of 4 Old 09-24-2017, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 225
The ‘turning off/on’ is possibly a clue to your issue - ensure you have HDMI CEC Control disabled on all devices which use HDMI cables.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

Ruipro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial system Design, Consultancy, Installation, Supply and Integration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page