Extron Matrix 6400 for RGBs switching - questions about setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-27-2017, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Extron Matrix 6400 for RGBs switching - questions about setup

I’m looking to switch older RGBs video signals + stereo audio. I’m currently using an Extron Crosspoint Ultra 128 HVA. I’m looking to upgrade to an Extron Matrix 6400 or 3200 switcher (need more outputs, and like the ability to use a AMX or Crestron controller with LCD screen). Is anybody familiar with the Matrix 6400 and can answer a couple questions about what exact components I would need to get started? Information online is EXTREMELY sparse on these – here’s what I’m unsure about:

1.) Can you confirm I’ll need two BME’s (that’s what they call each rack-mountable case) to run Video and Audio? One BME for each? I was hoping I could switch audio and video from one single BME’s (like I do on my Extron Crosspoint) since those 64-in/64-out BNC connectors on a Matrix 6400 would be enough for me, but I don’t think that’s the case.

2.) Stereo audio BME’s were sold, correct? I’m not seeing any of those for sale online (may have to stalk eBay for a little longer). OR, were people always using the Mono versions, then just grouping Left + Right audio channels per input/output in the software?

3.) Is the only connection between BME’s through RJ-11 (telephone) cord? And that will let the Video BME talk to the Audio BME telling it to pair the video with the audio of the same channel (I know this needs to be setup in the software).

4.) Any problem running the now-ancient Extron software on modern Windows computers? I think these came out around the time of Windows XP… I could never get my Extron Crosspoint connected to my network so I was never able to test out the PC software for that one (I have the ability to run Windows 7, most mostly run Windows 10 now).

5.) What’s the difference between the “video switcher” and the “wideband video/sync switcher”? The manual says: “a system may NOT include both Wideband video and Low Resolution video modules”. Can someone expand upon that? I will be running mostly RGBs 480i content. But will also run some YPbPr (Component) up to 1080i - along with the random Y/C S-Video and maybe even a Composite signal or two.

6.) I see BME’s exclusively dedicated to Sync. My RGBs signal has a separate sync signal (in addition to Red, Green, and Blue BNC connections). I can run RGB + Sync on a single video BME, correct? (that’s how I always did it on my Crosspoint - which had horizontal and vertical sync in/outs - but I just used one of them for the combined sync RGBs uses).

Anything else I’ll have any issues with? The most complicated thing might just be the initial setup. I usually run things like: One single Video w/ Audio to 4-8 monitors at once. Maybe 4 different sources to 4 different monitors. Usually only use one audio source (i.e. stereo receiver) at a time. The most complicated thing I did on my Extron Crosspoint would be to output a RGBs signal to a RGBs to YPbPr converter, then loop the signal from that converter (now in YPbPr format) back into the Crosspoint so I could throw it out to some select CRT monitors/TV’s which couldn’t accept a RGBs signal.

Other than that I’m simply worried about how rare these are with little to no information online…so if I ever have a problem where do I go to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-01-2017, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all, I know, I know, annoying new user...I've been researching ever since I posted and still can't get an answer to these basic questions about this product. Any help? Even have a couple emails into Extron (the local sales person isn't familiar with these older models either).

OR, if anybody knows of a different forum, chat room, Facebook group, whatever, where I could get some help please feel free to let me know! It would be very much appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page