HDMI Switch to support Dolby Vision - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 09-29-2017, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HDMI Switch to support Dolby Vision

Hi AVS experts, I?ve been trying to find a good way to get my family room a/v setup. I currently have a 65? LG OLED (B7) wall mounted and an LG SJ9 Soundbar mounted below it. I have run 4 HDMI cables into the wall behind the TV, down through the wall, under the floor (in a dry crawl space), up into a closet on the other side of the room. The closet houses my DirecTV 4K box, my Oppo BDP-203 Blu-ray, a Mac Mini, and a new Apple TV 4K. The challenge I have run into is that the Apple TV 4K has no problem running Dolby Vision (or HDR10 at 4:2:2 Chroma) when plugged into the TV with a short HDMI cable. As soon as I try to use the 25? cable that runs under the house, it no longer works. I certainly can?t to Dolby Vision and even 4:2:2 chroma won?t work, I?ve got to use 4:2:0. Don?t get me wrong, it looks nice, but what?s the point of having a beautiful OLED that supports the best in video standards if you can?t use it, right?

One more thing... while I know it?s not a TRUE Atmos setup, the sound bar (along with 2 surround speakers) does support Dolby Atmos, and sounds pretty amazing (for a sound bar) when Atmos is sent through HDMI, so I?d like that to work, too.

With all that said, my ideal setup would be to have a single 25? cable run from the closet into the sound bar, then let the sound bar pass-through Dolby Vision to a single HDMI input on the TV. That way, I get Dolby Vision and Atmos from all devices that can output it (right now my Oppo BDO-203 sends audio and video over separate HDMI cables, using 2 of the 4 that run under the house).

So, my thought was the get an HDMI switch, run all 4 devices into the switch in the closet, then have a single long (25?) cable under the house to the sound bar. I bought a Sewell SwitchDeck 5x1 which is supposed to support 18Gb but it doesn?t seem to work. Even with short cables, the setup like this did not pass Dolby Vision properly:

Apple TV 4K >>> 3? HDMI >>> SwitchDeck >>> 3? HDMI >>> SJ9 HDMI In >>> SJ9 HDMI Out >>> 3? HDMI >>> LG OLED HDMI In

Keep in mind, Apple TV 4K to LG OLED worked fine. All the stuff in between didn?t work. Add in the 25? cable and it?s a definite no-go.

So, anybody think they can help? Can I put an amplifier on the HDMI Out and boost the signal over the 25? run? Maybe an amp in the middle, with 2 x 15? cables and an amp under my house?

I?ve also looked at this, but it doesn?t seem much different than the SwitchDeck:

Genentech: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ra_hd_600.html

Any advice on how to get this setup to work? Advice is greatly appreciated, and sorry for the long post.

-Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page