Multi-Room System? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-02-2017, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Multi-Room System?

I have a home that has multiple speakers in ceiling throughout the house connected to a receiver, currently some cheaper Sony AV. Is it possible to setup a Multi-Room system like HEOS or something of the sort with wired speakers? Main goal is to play the same song in every room or any combination of rooms chosen, including a different song in every room. I see HEOS link might do the trick here but not sure if that just allows to change it into one area but not play on diff speakers how id like. Also think that requires having a denon receiver or now
merantz receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-02-2017, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 45
yes, you are asking for a whole house audio system.
Russound mca-88 should do the trick. That will amplify 6 stereo zones, plus two more non amplified (use a separate amp like for outdoors)
You will need a control system and a streaming server. myServer fits the bill here.

You will be able to use any modern browser device (ipad / iphone / android phones and tablets / desktop PC etc) to view the list of channels to listen to.
The control system will tell the russound which source goes to which speaker (s).

Heos and Sonos are good if you don't have wires and can't add them. If you have or can wire - even better.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-02-2017, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So how would heos work in a wired setup in my case? I assume if I wanted to just use my existing receiver which has 3 zones I could use a heos link and wire it up to the receiver and have 3 zones to use through the heos link or would I need a link per zone? The MCA-88 seems a little pricey for what I would want to do but I guess thats probably the case since it depends on how many zones I want eh?

post #4 of 4 Old 10-02-2017, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 45
You can blend a Heos system and a Russound wired system together via the myServer controller.
If you can, it would be better to wire additional zones and use the balance of the Russound outputs.
If you go beyond the 8 zones, you can add another Russound.

There are quite a few ways to implement this, but key is to ensure that the end result is user friendly.
If no one can figure out how to use it, then the cheap solution has no value.
Blending the two system together starts to make things less friendly to use / configure. The good news is that myServer's control capability helps to minimize the end user's need to know what the hardware is. Just pick a zone where you want to listen, pick what "device" (like Pandora or Google Music), and then what genre or channel to listen to. Adjust the volume to your liking and you're enjoying your tunes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page