Forum Jump: 

post #421 of 447 Old 01-29-2008, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mike,

use something like MediaMonkey and convert to .wav. You will thank me in the end. I know you know my feelings on this issue.

I don't use Vista since there are many issues still outstanding with that version and this is coming from a person that is a Microsoft Partner.

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 447 Old 02-28-2008, 08:01 AM

So with the ViewLinx and SpeakerLinx products I could minimize my pre-wiring by placing switches in the attic and basement and running a single patch cable between, and the do Cat5 drops from the attic to all the locations upstairs correct?

If bandwidth maybe is an issue, I could always run fiber between the switches.

With the Panorma however, the Video ports are static, so they need to be wired to the basement to a patch panel right?

Thanks,
Byron
post #423 of 447 Old 02-28-2008, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by byron70 View Post

So with the ViewLinx and SpeakerLinx products I could minimize my pre-wiring by placing switches in the attic and basement and running a single patch cable between, and the do Cat5 drops from the attic to all the locations upstairs correct?

If bandwidth maybe is an issue, I could always run fiber between the switches.

With the Panorma however, the Video ports are static, so they need to be wired to the basement to a patch panel right?

Thanks,
Byron

If you are going to be using multiple switches, particularly for IP video, our field systems engineering team should look over the plans before you commit.
Panorama is not IP based, although it uses CAT5e. So you cannot runs the signal through network switches.

Buzz Goddard
GoddardGroup

post #424 of 447 Old 02-28-2008, 08:24 AM
imt

Also the switches need to be switchlynx's not any old switch.

Also, the video would run on a separate gigabit switchlynx while the audio would run on the regular switchlynx. Best practices are not to put the audio on the same gigabit switch as the video. Basically dedicated switches tied together with a single cat5e.
post #425 of 447 Old 03-09-2008, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
"However NetStreams plans to release future HDMI-capable models in the second half of 2008 that will support HDCP, be fully 1.3 compliant, support 1080p, and pass all next-gen audio formats."

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/aud...-ip-video.html

Very nice!
post #426 of 447 Old 11-29-2008, 07:27 PM

So when you sell an SMM, you assume that the consumer is lazy or brain-dead, and would rather pay you something like $100 an hour to clean his MP3 files? Since I'm ripping and maintaining files for, let's say an Ipod (heaven forbid!), why can't I 'fix' the files so that the SMM will function? BTW, you may be the only dealer who knows how to 'fix' this, as I've worked with 3 that have no clue. So, yes, I've paid for Netstreams approved dealers to learn on the job, and thus, I'm the fool, and Netstreams could not care less that I'm dissatisfied. The number of times my 'authorized' Netstreams dealer has been unable to figure out what's wrong is beyond my ability to count (randomly rebooting Touchlinx, mis-firing Speakerlinx, etc.)and Netstreams won't even list local dealers, only AVAD as a distributor! So now that I know that the installers don't know anything, I get stonewalled by Netstreams themselves. Great customer service/technical support.
post #427 of 447 Old 11-30-2008, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Sonso,

I am not sure if you are reffering to me but will take a shot at this. I have helpled others on this thread.

Yes, I am a Netstreams dealer. Yes, there have been issues with the smm 100 but most seem to be fixed now. Also there is an expansive upgrade coming out in the next month or so to add enhancements to the way you use the smm 100 and how it fuctions. This is a very good thing.

I am sorry that you had to go through 3 dealers and I am sure that Buzz and Netstreams is listening. Netstreams really does care about your experience and as a growing company things are getting better and training is very good now.

But each dealer had the opportunity to call and talk with tech support (very good now and for at least the last year) and or talk with enginerring if needed. Most area's have field techs that can come out also.

I just had a meeting with Kevin Renis CEO here in Chicago and yes there are some exciting things/ improvements coming down the pike!!!!

I will tell you what I do for my customers and go from there. When I install it is a package deal. I am not cheap either but most find it worth it in the end.

I personally go through all your music ahead of time and give you the choice to put it in the correct format that I need it in (basic burning format) or if large files I have it sent out to one of the known burining companies and yes they can take your ipod and reformat it.

All goes on to a computer server and run the smm 100 from there including your ipod music. I convert all to wav not mp3 but give you two folders on this server one for backup of your mp3 for future use ( I don't expect you to have wav on your ipod) and one for your house music.

Music folder-album-artist-song-folder.jpg. Only mp3 or .wav not acc.

You would not believe how many times I see the folder.jpg in the middle of this scheme

Following me here??

BTW- you could use your ipod in an Iport and/ or go usb from ipod to smm100 usb in the back of the unit??? This is how I start a house project before I have a sever of some type.

When I go through peoples music there is usually something wrong. Like the format or the .jpg folders. There was one person on this thread, and he can add in if still interested later, that after he sent me some screen shots was very evident that his file structure was messed up. He changed the structure and was good. I don't know why the other dealers he was dealing with did not know this. It is in the training manuals. I also make my clients (usually tech savy and want to do this) add in the jpg folders. Either using a computer or touch panel it is cool seeing the album art, period.

Now I really don't know what your problem is???

If you want to pm me I can attempt at help or get you go the correct person or suggest things to your current installer.

You want to make sure that the dns and gateway have your ip address of your router in the smm setup. Ask your dealer about this. This gets very overlooked and very simple to fix.

Also drm music will not play like from the Apple store. You want drm free music.

Do you have all the latest update on your netstreams system??? Do you know the update number that you have???

Are all the pieces (hardware) in your system updated??? Sometimes a speakerlinx might not be updated and cause havoc.

If you can give an idea of your configuration that might help also. Like is this a 4 zone system 20 zone system.Do you have touchpanels, etc.

Is everything else in your system working???

Let me know I am more then happy to help or get you to the correct person to do that.

Larry
post #428 of 447 Old 12-01-2008, 02:24 PM

Unpowered subwoofer- on Netstreams

Does it make sense to use a SpeakerLinx to power a subwoofer?
post #429 of 447 Old 12-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

NO.

Not enough power to do so.

Hmm....there is a Netstreams 200 watt 2 channel amp....never thought of using it???

Take your amp to a audio port from your sub is the way I would go.

Larry
post #430 of 447 Old 12-07-2008, 07:53 PM

One thing I would note is that my SMM does not have a problem with playing MP3 files or displaying the album art on the Touchlinx. I am quite happy with the sound quality (using mostly Triads, but also some Polk in-ceiling speakers). What is strange is that when I have created playlists using MediaMonkey and placed them in Shared_Drive\\Music\\Playlists in M3U format, only one of them has ever appeared in the interface. On top of that there is a phantom list "Jazz" that was never there to begin with. My installer used a program (I forget the name) that was supposed to force a re-index but did not, and while tech support suggested NOT rebooting the unit, that was the only thing that actually got the first playlist to appear. Tried it again, but that did not work.

I am pleased to hear that there is an upgrade coming for the SMM. All-in-all the modular approach of the Netstreams (Digilinx) I think is good. There may still be some doubt as to mounting the Speakerlinx in individual rooms, as I have stated to them that I think that opening up the walls to service a Speakerlinx is highly undesireable (imagine the extra cost of new drywall, plus finding the original paint afterwards!). My original installer put everything in the basement (cooler and easier for workmen to access). It does require having a walkie-talkie and two people sometimes, but it is much easier from a construction point of view.
post #431 of 447 Old 12-08-2008, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Good to hear that things are working out Sonso.

I think you might not understand something. Why would any speakerlinx be put "into" a wall and drywalled over. This is not to any code that I know of. You can put it in the speaker well and have to take out the speaker later to service it????

Yes, if prewired for it putting the speakerlinx in a homerun room or in a closet, lets say all of them go into a hall closet for all the rooms of the second floor, will make it easier to service later.Or the bedroom closets for each room if that is to far away. Originally Netstreams wanted it as close to the speaker as possible but from a service standpoint sometimes that is just not feasible.

Not sure about your smm but there are some tags that are not used right now and the "jazz" could be one of them. I think you will see a vast improvement when the update comes out. I am waiting also........

All the best,

Larry
post #432 of 447 Old 12-08-2008, 09:26 AM

I'm with Larry on this one. Putting all of the SpeakerLinx's in the basement or home location and running speaker wire everywhere sort of defeats the purpose of the NetStreams solution. You might as well have a multi-channel amp in the basement.

Also, if you are going to mount the speakerLinx's in the wall you would use a NetStreams 2-gang sized wall plate so that you can get access to it later.

Larry is right about the practicality of putting the SpeakerLinx close to the speaker. Although I generally agree, I had to compromise on my install because it was going to be too hard to do that in some rooms due to the existing prewire job.
post #433 of 447 Old 12-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Pmillin,

Let me know if you have an update to your internet software program- BTW. Glad to hear things are good for you.

Yes, NS does make a wall plate, I forgot to state that but if you can would rather get them close to the room but again this is not practical on all installs. I have a over 8 ,000 install and all are homerunned in the basement except the third floor since to me that was to far of a run.

Larry
post #434 of 447 Old 12-08-2008, 10:35 AM

Larry,

I might have an update. Not sure what version you got. Probably just some tweaks. Have you even used it yet?
post #435 of 447 Old 12-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

If you could e-mail it to my lkosova@yahoo.com that would be great. I would have to look up what version and have played around with it but others are enjoying it and we could talk offline about it at my e-mail address.

Larry
post #436 of 447 Old 12-13-2008, 05:12 PM

Any word on an HDMI Viewlinx box?
post #437 of 447 Old 12-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

I am not sure on this one but the Consumer Electronic Show Is around the first week of January and that and Cedia are the two big "announcement" shows for most manufactors.........

Larry
post #438 of 447 Old 12-16-2008, 07:41 AM

My setup is in a 'vertical' townhouse, so that the longest run from the cellar to the top floor speakers is not more than 80 feet. Since the speakers are in the ceiling, and I am not sitting in the immediate stereo center, I don't really notice and sound quality difference between the speakerlinx that is closest to the cellar (20 feet).

As to the in-wall mounting of the speakerlinx, I had the house pre-wired before there was a decision on the system. Given that there were 2-years between wiring spec and system installation, we did not get equipment until the in-wall mounting was no longer feasible. I note that you mention 'in-closet' mounting (essentially surface mounting); I shy away from this as I know someone will knock it. The 2-gang mounting idea isn't bad, but still complicates the drywall situation when building (though not too much).

When I do my little hotel project (8000 square feet), I may consider the in-wall approach, though I'm not sure that Netstreams would be the way to go. I may start a separate thread on that.
post #439 of 447 Old 12-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Just so you know for larger projects Netstreams has teams of professionals to help you plan out (really working with your dealer) a system that would work for you. Hotels is the way some are going and again there are products for the commercial market that we are not even touching on here.

I am sure that they could get someone onsite to make your plans work and become a reality.

Larry
post #440 of 447 Old 12-17-2008, 02:01 PM

Larry,
I sent you an email to the yahoo address listed above.
post #441 of 447 Old 02-08-2009, 08:57 AM

Why would anyone go and get a Vudu XL, which prides itself as being 1080i capable, only to ****** it with a Netstreams attachment that only allows 480?

Are we ever going to get HDMI support? Its starting to get tough, not having it.
post #442 of 447 Old 02-08-2009, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

The Vudu XL is capable of 1080i via component output.

Buzz Goddard
GoddardGroup

post #443 of 447 Old 12-13-2009, 02:00 PM

Liked: 17
Thought I'd resurrect this thread from the dead.

Is anything new going on with Netstreams, and possible replacement for their discontinued and terribly flawed SMM 100?

Certainly by the lack of NS talk on the forums it seems that no one contemplating whole house audio/automation even considers the various systems of this company. Could be due to the economy as well right now since it is a very expensive endeavor, or can it be due to other factors as well, i.e. performance, dependability,etc.

Having the Digilinx system I can attest to the "dependability" or lack thereof factor.
post #444 of 447 Old 12-13-2009, 03:58 PM

Netstreams was recently sold. Not sure the name of the parent.

As for product, there is an hdmi/dvi output option coming in the new year. I think this option, which is cheaper, will help.
I believe there is also an input coming soon as well. This was a huge hole in the offering.

I will have a naim server in a couple weeks. Looking forward to the unit. The connection with naim should certainly help.

Naimnet.com
post #445 of 447 Old 12-16-2009, 09:20 PM

NetStreams was acquired by ClearOne. I big player in the commercial A/V market. They are looking to expand into the residential market. Those still involved in NetStreams seem very optimistic about the deal.

My system is working pretty good these days except for that SMM100 that nobody seems to be able to help me with.

Anyway, I look for good things to come from NetStreams in the future.
post #446 of 447 Old 12-17-2009, 10:03 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmilin View Post

NetStreams was acquired by ClearOne. I big player in the commercial A/V market. They are looking to expand into the residential market. Those still involved in NetStreams seem very optimistic about the deal.

My system is working pretty good these days except for that SMM100 that nobody seems to be able to help me with.

Anyway, I look for good things to come from NetStreams in the future.

I wonder though if our systems are obsolete.

My system is not, and can't afford to get it fixed. I abhor the smm100 I have, and though my original dealer did a piss poor job of setting it up, I am in no shape to hire the right person to clean it up. So I live with constant reboots having to see my "shares".
post #447 of 447 Old 02-20-2010, 07:22 PM

Has anyone heard if Netstreams is still coming out with the ViewLinX Micro?
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page