Closed Thread

post #61 of 78 Old 03-24-2004, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AJF
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would you recommend wired or wireless bowling balls? :-)
BTW, you're opinion is worth much more than $.02, which is why I pushed for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 Old 03-24-2004, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

D3 lighting program is as easy, if not easier to use than the HWI program. It is very similar to the Homeworks utility and is a drag and drop program. In terms of conditionals the Crestron software does them better and easier without the exceptions found in the HWI utility. Moreover, it does not require knowledge of Simple Windows so that should not be a factor in your decision.

I am aware that CAT5 has been used on Homeworks Systems but I am also aware that Lutron specifically recommends not using CAT5 on their systems. My feeling is why reinvent the wheel. You can also make a Grafik Eye bus work with home runs even though the specification is to daisy chain a mux link. I have made Grafik Eye mux links work with contact closure wire but it does not mean you should. Because it is not recommended does not mean it will not work. I would not have run CAT5, myself, to an electrical box intending to control decentralized smart devices but having it there would not preclude me from choosing a wired network. The overwhelming odds are it will work which is why I made the suggestion to go to a wired system. But if it does not Lutron may not be very helpful as it is not part of their specification.

Lutron does have a significantly more diverse and aesthetically pleasing skew. On the other hand it is more expensive than Crestron lighting assuming you have a Crestron processor for A/V control. Crestron's truly ugly CLW dimmers can act as keypads as well as dimmers which can be a useful feature if you cannot get a keypad to a location. But I guess I would have to agree with those who have advised you to go with both wired and wireless Lutron systems. Homeserve works. But a wireless system is much more expensive than a wired system and no matter how you slice it a wired system will always be better than one without.

Alan
post #63 of 78 Old 03-25-2004, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AJF
Advanced Member

At this point, I'm sure I'd like to go with Lutron but now the question is whether I want to go all RF or in combination with wired.

Is the wire that they specify their own brand (proprietary)? How many conductors does it have and what connector does it use ?
Can several switches be daisy chained or does each need it's own home-run wire ?
As far as using 2 processors, are they easy to integrate?
post #64 of 78 Old 03-25-2004, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AJF
Advanced Member

BTW, the reason Cat5 was used was because when I had the house built, I had intended to eventually have a Phast system installed and that's what the installers said is used for their lighting. But that's a whole 'nother story. :-(
post #65 of 78 Old 03-26-2004, 05:23 AM
jcm
Advanced Member

Well, lighting control was one of the parts of Landmark systems that actually worked some of the time...The wire, which is available directly from Lutron and other vendors, is not a standard configuration.There are two low voltage cable types commonly used in a HomeWorks system,
Two pair (one pair #18 AWG, one pair #18-22 AWG twisted shielded) Class 2 wire. Lutron wire model # GRX-CBL-346S-500 may be used, and One pair #18-22 AWG twisted shielded Class 2. The 4 conductor product is run to keypad and accessory control locations, the 2 condutor to dimmer locations.

I purchase my cabling from Liberty Wire and Cable for these systems. The wiring topology for a HomeWorks system is also a bit diffrent. The control busses are arranged in a Token ring fashion, with a certain number of devices (4 or 8) per ring and ending in a terminator.

I have attached the link to a HomeWorks Design and Layout guide that explains the system requirements and wiring rather well. Unfortunately, this is an older edition covering the first HWI systems. Current versions of HomeWorks documentation are restricted to the dealer side of the website, so linking them isn't very helpful. There are changes, but this should give you a good idea.

Two processors is pretty easy, you need to link them w/ the 4 conductor cable, set different addresses, and program away.

jcmitch

http://www.lutron.com/pdfspecs/362-836.pdf
post #66 of 78 Old 03-26-2004, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
AJF
Advanced Member

Thanks jcm.
Yes, the website is useless for getting info on all this because it's not considered a DIY product. They only show Vareo dimmers under the keypad selection list. Do they make a dimmer for this system like the Maestro or do you have to use the Vareo ?
post #67 of 78 Old 03-26-2004, 06:58 AM
jcm
Advanced Member

Yes, there is a Maestro dimmer for HomeWorks, wired and Rf, there's also a Maestro styled switch. Do you have a HomeWorks brochure, or any literature on the system for that matter? Would you like one? One of the tricky bits of spec'ing these systems, BTW, is plate color and finish, Not all of the products are available in all of the colors. Its a bit of a PITA getting a system to match.

I attached a link for what was supposed to be the new HomeWorks residential page. I'm not sure how you'd find it any other way.

jcmitch

http://www.lutron.com/nolimits/default.htm
post #68 of 78 Old 03-26-2004, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
AJF
Advanced Member

You know what the problem is; differentiating between wired and wireless on their site. That link you posted brings you to the Homeserve section which they say is RF. Under their HWI keypad selection guide, they don't show any switches/dimmers except Vareo.
Anyway, thanks I've got it now.
post #69 of 78 Old 03-27-2004, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AJF
Advanced Member

Can you set different ramp rates on the dimmers ? If so, can it be done individually or system wide or both? I have some of Lutrons regular Maestro dimmers and the ramp rates are a little slow for my taste.
post #70 of 78 Old 03-27-2004, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Ramp rates are completely adjustable in the HWI software per dimmer location and from within a scene. You may want immediate turn on for a stair well and gradual turn on for a living area, etc.

It's funny that I've missed out on this Wireless Homeworks discussion. I'll keep watching for questions.

Brent Huskins
Media Design
post #71 of 78 Old 03-27-2004, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AJF
Advanced Member

Hi Brent,
I don't know if you remember a while back you were the one I think who introduced me to their HWI RF system.
Thanks for the answer and feel free to comment on what's been said so far.
post #72 of 78 Old 03-27-2004, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

I do remember, now that I think about it. 50 Lutron Wireless Homeworks systems later and no issues with any of my clients. Lutron has a really great product and the software is very solid now.

AJF...I sent you a PM as well.

Brent Huskins
Media Design
post #73 of 78 Old 03-31-2004, 04:07 PM

Just my 2 cents. Brent helped me setup my HWI system back in 1/03 and I could not say enough good things about lutron or Brent. The system has worked flawlessly since then, tons of more implementation I want to do... but so little time.... With the Digiport addition I can access my home lighting anywhere. It's a solid system.
post #74 of 78 Old 04-01-2004, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter
AJF
Advanced Member

Thanks storjohann, that's good to hear.
Did you install it yourself? Check your PM, I want to ask you a few questions.
Thanks
post #75 of 78 Old 04-01-2004, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Yeah storjohann, Tell us about your system. DId you do all of the programming? How did you obtain the software and is it user friendly for someone with computer skills?
Thanks

JOE
post #76 of 78 Old 04-01-2004, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

I'll chime in...being that I'm his Lutron dealer.

He did 100% of the programming and installation. I provided him the software as a part of his initial hardware package purchase. We discussed his system needs and put together a basic system that has been added on to from time to time. It worked out very well as far as I've seen.

I'll let him address the ease of programming, etc.

Anyway, feel free to ask any questions.

Brent Huskins
Media Design
post #77 of 78 Old 04-02-2004, 09:22 AM

Ok guys, sorry for the delay, but this forum is addicting hence, I'd spend my whole workday here (which I have in the past).

Yes indeed Brent supplied me with all the hardware/software and still does. My comments regarding programming must be taken in context given the fact I've been employed by a few software companies here in the Bay Area.

With that in mind, I had no problem at all with the intial programming or with it today. It's a no brainer, but I wouln't let my mother-in-law try it, I regret the day I gave her a computer. Anyway, if one is familar with basic window concepts, and reads the user guide he or she should be able to set the system up.

Like anything in high tech, you can get super crazy programming this system, mine is pertty basic, the wife-factor kinda keeps it that way.

I would not hesitate one dealing with Brent or worry about setting up simple lighting control programs, now integration with AMX/crestron might be a different story...

Good thread you guys, always like lighting control topics.
-Eric
post #78 of 78 Old 04-02-2004, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AJF
Advanced Member

Thanks for the reply storjohann.
Closed Thread Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version