Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by bhuskins
Jim and Mike,

Welcome to this lively conversation...

I really like Netstreams and am looking forward to banging it up when I get my demo unit. My biggest concern for Netsreams is its distribution model. AVAD may be the best distributor out there to get your product in the field nationwide, but most high-end installers like myself hate distribution companies like AVAD. They'll sell to nearly anyone and provide lousy support. It may be too late to rethink this being that you guys are so connected to AVAD and a retreat from them might look like failure. The big issue is, can I be successful with Netstreams if all the trunk slammers in town sell it for 10% over cost. Just a thought, but would be interested in your comments.

Brent Huskins
President/CEO
Media Design (Texas)

Hi Brent,

Thanks for the welcome! It has been very entertaining to say the least.... :)

I understand your concerns about the use of AVAD as the exclusive distribution of NetStreams products, however I would need to disagree with your understanding of how DigiLinX is sold.

First of all just because you have an account at AVAD does not mean you can buy any DigiLinX equipment or for that matter even receive pricing information. You are required to submit a completed dealer application. After the application has been personally verified and you and your company have been authorized by the NetStreams Regional Sales Manager (RSM) then and only then can you receive pricing information and attend NetStreams training. Since we have no MSRP we make no apologies about the fact that it is difficult to acquire pricing information for DigiLinX.

So with this policy in place you can rest assured that you will not see trunk slammers, electricians, or for that matter the best buys of the world with DigiLinX, you will only see qualified custom installation firms on the NetStreams team.

If you think of it this way, AVAD has over 27 locations throughout the country and every single location stocks NetStreams equipment. If you need something fast as in the same day for many areas this is a huge benefit as opposed to shipping from a single location in Texas. Speaking of just Texas alone, if you are in Dallas, Houston, Austin, or San Antonio you can pick up NetStreams equipment the same day, as you may know sometimes overnight may not be quick enough.

Thanks for all of the interest in NetStreams products, we look forward to earning your business.

Mike Braithwaite
NetStreams

The statement is bold and so are the people and the company! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 170 Old 09-14-2004, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jgist
Mike,

I will have Peter contact you to answer your questions this week.

Chat soon,

Jim
Hey Jim,

Its been a while, I look forward to talking with you very soon. Thanks for the quick response.

- Mike
post #93 of 170 Old 09-14-2004, 08:55 PM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
Mike,

Your presence is appreciated here as is Jim's.

This isn't the place for this discussion and we should probably carry it over to another thread but I can't resist responding. I actually have no problem with NetStreams being sold through AVAD. Personally I'd like to have an exclusive for my entire state ;) but if I were you I'd probably be doing exactly what you are doing. BUT, how do you sales guys keep a straight face when you tell us some stuff? Do you have any idea how many times we here the same lines? Really, we all know that AVAD and Cinelight are about as discriminating about who they will sell to as crack addicted streetwalker is about her "clients". Which is exactly how it is with pretty much all distributors - and how it is meant to be. Do we really need to pretend otherwise?
post #94 of 170 Old 09-14-2004, 09:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Really, we all know that AVAD and Cinelight are about as discriminating about who they will sell to as crack addicted streetwalker is about her "clients".
Hey man, why do you keep wanting to bring my girlfriend into this?

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #95 of 170 Old 09-14-2004, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by QQQ
BUT, how do you sales guys keep a straight face when you tell us some stuff? Do you have any idea how many times we here the same lines?
Thanks QQQ,

First of all, I am not involved with sales so it is very easy to keep a straight face! :) That would be his Buzzness job to keep the straight face! :)

I have no idea how many times you hear this but I will say this again, NO company will be allowed to purchase ANY DigiLinX equipment without a personal authorization from us here at NetStreams period. In the very unlikely event that you find out otherwise please let us know ASAP and I promise you that we will fix whatever loop hole someone has found immediately!

Thanks again,

- Mike
post #96 of 170 Old 09-14-2004, 09:26 PM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

But here's what I'm saying Mike. Isn't the way that it's really going to work is that I call up my AVAD contact and say "hey I'd like to sell a DigiLinx system". And my AVAD contact is going to say "well, we need to get you set up special for that". And he's going to call your guy and say "hey, I know this great guy named QQQ :D that would really be a great guy to sell your product". And your guy is going to say OK.

If that's not the way it's going to work it would be a first.
post #97 of 170 Old 09-14-2004, 09:39 PM

Wow

The introspection, handwringing, and impugning of other people's/company's motives in this thread is entertaining (if not often on-topic).

I'm not related to any of the companies in the AV distribution or control industries. My background is as a chip designer. I bow to the collective wisdom of those I've been reading for years here.

I wish Control4 luck. It must actually frighten some custom installers, as the language used to put it down, and the analogies and slurs towards those who would purchase, install, or use it -- well, it really tells one more about the ones writing the diatribes than it does about the product itself.

Netstreams? I wish them luck as well. Its a bit strange that their chosen distribution network is supposed to imply some sort of corrollary to the quality of their product or future. I suppose if the Custom Installer network shuns them because they don't get "exclusive rights" on selling it, that could hurt them financially.

I think both products are the future of the industry. The computer industry eats its young -- cannibalizes sales of today's product, and relies on sales to new users and extending into new markets to survive. I gather the custom installation industry is much more defensive.

The industry leaders (Crestron, AMX, etc) get accolades for the legacy device support they bring along, and the polish with which they bring old and new together.

The upstarts (Control4, Netstreams, etc) are closer to following the Computer industry model. Leverage industry standard protocols and commodity hardware for infrastructure, support legacy devices through adaptors or interfaces. It will be fascinating to see how proprietary they take their products.

When I read that Control4 didn't allow customization yet, I was disappointed. When I saw the stock UI, I was pleased. That's a usable and well formatted UI, and considering its autogenerated, well, that's pretty good really. If what I've read is true, and the menus are just XML, well, heck. I think honestly the photoshop UI guys are in better shape than they realize. Try a 30 day trial of XMLSpy by Altova. You'd be surprised how easy it is to modify XML data. Of course, that all depends on how much Control4 documents, or if they release their full XML Schema definitions. Reverse engineering the capabiliities from that wouldn't be too bad, really.

<FullyOffTopic>
As for the implication that higher price == better product... The computer industry tried to make themselves believe that too. Do folks who say that really believe it? Do they use AS/400's or RS/6000's or even Sun Solaris servers? One can still buy them (well, IBM renamed theirs, but they are still available). They'll definitely be the most expensive solutions.

Or one can buy a linux server from Dell or whoever. Even IBM sells linux PCs now. It does the same things, almost always (much) faster, and much cheaper.

Oh, and the Linux business model? How does one make money on a "free" product? Not by keeping the margins high on the hardware! By selling SERVICES.

I've been amazed at how specialized even the customer installers are. I naively thought they'd be uber-do-it-yourself types. Now I better understand that while some are, others are just like my industry -- a collaboration of various talents and skills.

As long as the product has a way for the customizer to add value (via their skills, not simply via exclusive control of the sales/distribution channel) there will always be demand for their services.

After all, what percentage of the folks who do custom installation are looking for something special just for them? Something to show off, so to speak? They'll always be demand for differentiation, via comprehensive solutions, ease of use, or even presentation.

Ugh, what a lousy first post.... too opinionated :P

*slinks back into another 3 years of lurkerdom*
</FullyOffTopic>

Jen
post #98 of 170 Old 09-14-2004, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by QQQ
But here's what I'm saying Mike. Isn't the way that it's really going to work is that I call up my AVAD contact and say "hey I'd like to sell a DigiLinx system". And my AVAD contact is going to say "well, we need to get you set up special for that". And he's going to call your guy and say "hey, I know this great guy named QQQ :D that would really be a great guy to sell your product". And your guy is going to say OK.

If that's not the way it's going to work it would be a first.

QQQ,

The way it will work is you would call them up and say you want to sell DigiLinX, next they would email/fax you the application, you would then complete the application and email/fax it to NetStreams. After we have verified who you are, the NetStreams RSM will contact you for some follow up and if we don't know who you are then that means we will need to come and visit you. If you are for real than you could be considered for a dealership depending on the number of other authorized NetStreams dealers in your area as we WILL NOT put on lots of dealers from the same area.

Remember this is an exclusive line, and if you are not authorized to sell it today I would seriously suggest you then start to install Musica systems as anyone with an AVAD account can purchase these systems. If you can demonstrate that you are a reputable dealer, have a business plan and can sell and install several Musica systems every month then you could be reconsidered for a DigiLinX dealership.
post #99 of 170 Old 09-14-2004, 11:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mike, I guess the flip side to this is still the long-term support channel. AVAD is terrible with support - not just technical, but CS follow through, order processing in a timely manner, employee turnover in the sales dept., out of stock items that take weeks if not months to get in, etc., etc. The only reason I use AVAD now is in a "have to" type of situation. I need a remote or a distribution amp or something of that such and I don't have a direct account with the part's manufacturer. This is rare though.

I've been in business for 11 years and have annual 7 digit sales figures. When I first got started, people like ECD in Houston and ADI in Dallas were my friends, but I wasn't much more than a trunk slammer in the beginning. After I set up a few direct accounts in the first couple of years of business I found out there typically is a huge advantage in doing so. Margins increase sometimes 5-10%, better CS, better order fulfillment, better demo programs (unheard of in distribution - although I believe Netstreams has had offers for Musica Demo Packs through AVAD though), and also better rebate programs/terms/% off for prompt payment, etc. All of these things greatly impact my bottom line.

I suppose that even if most of these safeguards and value added items could actually be established at AVAD solely for Netstreams it still feels like going backwards.

Is their ever a chance of having direct dealers?

I know that AVAD helps Netstreams in the short-term, especially with exposure. I just hope that you can come up with a plan long-term that allows the good dealers (maybe once proven at AVAD) to go direct and cut AVAD out of the deal. Why do I want to share our (Media Design & Netstreams) profit with them? They do so little for my company. No offense to them, but they will always cater to the rookies.

One note as to the quality of Netstreams DigiLinX: I by no means think that because they are at AVAD does this make it less of a product. I as well as I think I can speak for QQQ have been excited about DigiLinX from the 1st talks a year ago on this forum. That thread is still active and has provided a lot of good information. Netstreams support on this forum shows a strong corporate commitment to the industry and should help it in the long run.

Mike you had mentioned picking up gear in Austin and San Antonio. I assume you can pick it up at your factory/distribution center? AVAD is only in Dallas and Houston. I'm in the Fort Worth area, but I work all over the state, it would be nice to know I can stop in to pick up gear for a job in SA.

thanks,

Brent Huskins
Media Design
post #100 of 170 Old 09-15-2004, 12:03 AM
Advanced Member

Jim,

Do you guys have MSRP for all the products on the web site?

What's the chance of it being sold as a DIY solution, akin to Lutron RadioRA?

I'm still looking for that middle ground for tech-savvy consumers that lies between X10 (yuck!) and Crestron/AMX/etc.

Thx,
Max
post #101 of 170 Old 09-15-2004, 12:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by audiblesolutions
I shall make a prediction now - and as we have the guilty party's participation they are free to dispute or ignore- that more truck slammers will vie for Control 4 than Netstreams. Price alone would suggest this result as would the fact that you do not need to have very many skills to make the product work.

Netstreams will require its dealers to understand and demonstrate competence but I see the Control 4 software solution as seeking out less competent firms who lack the skills to install real automation systems but who desire the Monika of whole house automation company. These are the companies in my area that sought out Phast and I would venture to guess will salivate to become dealers for Control 4. Who would not want an inexpensive, easy to install, retrofit able system that did not require knowledge or familiarity with any programming language extant?

Please do not misconstrue the tone of the first sentence above. I do not wish to impugn the motives of Control 4 or suggest that anyone will become a dealer. Only that if technical competence is unnecessary than anyone with a bit of the grifter can obtain the line. It will be Netstrams and not the twits at AVID who will decide who will become a dealer. I am certain this will be the case with Control 4 but I think sales will matter far more than competence and this may not bode well for those of use in small custom shops. I have no idea why Netstreams made the decision to devalue its name by associating it with distribution but I suspect the reason was to shift the very high costs of running an accounts receivable department to an other business entity.

While I am not privy to any internal documentation on either company's business plan I can make a good guess at what it is when I see the MSRP. Granted the price of the equipment would not in and of itself provide an index to gage competence of its dealer base. But clearly better dealers will sell better products and as a rule superior products cost more. While I am all for attaining the holy grail of inexpensive automation customization has a price. Education has a value. If you remove the road block of custom software you can certainly attain an economy of scale. But volume sales suggests products like Bose and the sort of sales force that sells Bose. Quality audio suggests one type of dealer and market to me and inexpensive, volume products an other. Do you really think Linksys is the same as Cisco even if they originate from the same company? Do you think that price offers some idea of configurability and the intended market and dealer base?

Alan
Alan,

I don't think Control4 will be able to supply a moron proof or even the DIY'er a package - not trying to combine the two by any means :). Maybe as a starter system with a couple of dimmers, but not a complex system that performs powerful conditional programming, etc.

Most people can't even dream as to what a "real" HA system can actual do for them. They want an easy way to run their TV's and turn on the lights, but typically have to be educated about the rest of it. That's where someone like us can educate. To sell AMX and Lutron, I have to spend a lot of time educating my client and getting them to understand the luxury of a system. I don't see that changing with Control4. I do however see my opportunity base for a "real" HA system moving from the $500K-$750K and up home, down to a $200K home. Just because it targets a less classy customer doesn't mean that it weakens the AMX/Crestron market. I think it strengthens it. I will continue to sell AMX in the really big jobs; I would be foollish otherwise. I think that my "bread and butter" clients that buy the $10K to $20K HT system that generally frown on the $5k to $7K AMX/Crestron automation package can be sold a really nice $3K package (from potentially Control4) that otherwise would have been a Pronto or an MX-700 sale. It's a step up from a Pronto, but a really nice value added. I do sell Niles Intellicontrols and they have filled this niche well since 1997, but they are getting pretty old school these days and don't have much opportunity for upsell later.

I really think this model has potential. I'm looking forward to being able to have a product that can be added onto quite extensively for that "real" automation experience and not just a TV controller.

One other note...It's my understanding that Control4 is only looking for 400-500 dealers nationwide. This is fairly small.

I wonder if Netstreams has set a number for the amount of US authorized dealers for DigiLinX they want to maintain/not exceed?

thanks,

Brent Huskins
Media Design
post #102 of 170 Old 09-15-2004, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Id rather get poked in the eye than deal with Hilton's Avad.
post #103 of 170 Old 09-15-2004, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Great post for the Debutant. Thanks for the xls tip.
post #104 of 170 Old 09-15-2004, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

While I would be happy to discuss our business philosophy and why we have chosen to sell the way we do (believe me there has been a great deal of thought on this), I don't think here is the proper place to do so. If you wish to discuss NetStreams there is already a dedicated thread or you are welcome to email me directly.
Sorry for the thread hijack.
Back to discussing Control4. There's plenty to talk about.

Buzz Goddard
GoddardGroup

post #105 of 170 Old 09-15-2004, 06:03 AM
AJF
Advanced Member

I think the installers are feeling way too threatened by what Control4 would mean to your industry and it is inevitable that such a company/product will eventually exist . You all know that the people that frequent this forum are not your typical consumer or customer .

I think the Lutron example is a good comparison to what C4 may represent . People that buy and install RadioRA are not, and never will be your customers . Nor should you want them to be . And they represent a VERY small percentage of the consumer base ( EXCEPT on this forum ). Most people can't or won't install a simple light switch, let alone a lighting system . Ironically, most of your complaints seem to be that the C4 system seems too easy to install .

I feel that Control4, or whatever product succeeds in the sub-Crestron/AMX-stratosphere will mean a huge increase in sales for you guys as it will open up a huge as yet un-tappable (because of cost) client base . AND, you'll still have your price-is-no-object clients who will settle for nothing less than Crestron/AMX/Kaleidescape/Escient/etc. systems .
post #106 of 170 Old 09-15-2004, 06:09 AM
AJF
Advanced Member

BTW,
I emailed Jim Gist yesterday and told him about this thread . I want to thank him for replying and hope that he will continue to answer our questions .
post #107 of 170 Old 09-15-2004, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Jen

There is nothing you wrote that I do not agree with. The only issue may be how robust a system is. If your home network goes down and you cannot access the Internet, big deal. If you have limited NAT configuration in the gateway, no biggy.

If your audio system fails,who cares. If your lights do not work this is a big deal and if you heating and AC fail also a problem.

If this system works we are talking about a revolution. The folks who brought you Phast have either learned from that experience or are pulling an other fast one. Hopefully it's the former. As for installers feeling strum und drang. I have written many times that within 5 years half the firms in business will not be. This is the opening salvo in the this situation but it is the way they rolled out the product that troubles me. They have no product or software available for sale today. It is all promises that will either be fulfilled or not. Brent will either be justified in his enthusiasm or be pilloried for jumping to soon on a product that sounded good but was not ready for prime time. No demos, not all gear ready for sale. My experience with this sort of product came with Soundstream. I discovered the designer Wade Stewart and conversed with him for a year while the product was developed. On paper it was one of the best systems ever engineered. In fact is was smoke and mirrors as they could never make the system work. The lessen I took from that was to never become an early adapter of any new system. Control 4 needs to ship product and prove they have stable hardware and software. They tried the same thing with Phast and the poor folks that bought into the hype did a disservice to every client and especially the firms that installed that product.

The fact is that many on this board and most all of us in the business are in love with technology and behave like 11 year olds looking at Playboy for the first time when they encounter something this cool and novel. But UPnP and .NET also seemed revolutionary and what have they wrought. Let's see what ships and how stable it is.

Control 4 will have no effect on large custom systems but the bread and butter of most firms are not such systems. And on that bread and butter if Control 4 fulfills its promises it will have an effect. Crestron and AMX hardware cost the dealer more than the installed price ( including programming ) of what Control 4 anticipates its system to cost. That is revolutionary and it will cut into the big boys business if they stand pat and IF control 4 works.

Alan
post #108 of 170 Old 09-15-2004, 08:43 AM

Thanks Alan

Your last post really helped me understand where you (and others) are coming from. It can be hard in threads like this to determine if its the idea/concept, the architecture/infrastructure, the marketing, the distribution, the personnel involved, or the product that is being scrutinized.

In a business where your continued success rides on your reputation for delivering solutions that work in real world conditions, a healthy amount of skepticism over unshipped products is not only understandable, its commendable.

I confess that I have high hopes for this product because it is targeted at end-users like myself. My little half-million dollar house will be finished in December. I can't justify spending more than I did on kitchen cabinents on a full-blown Crestron/AMX system. I want to start with whole-house multi-sourced audio/video distribution, and add lighting/etc over time. I've looked at the full-out DIYer products like Charmed Quark and Mainlobby. While I've certainly got the skills to make them work, and they appeal to the penny-pincher in me, I also recognize that I want a system that works, not yet another computer-related hobby to suck up all my freetime.

I'd love to see more "middle ground" solutions that have room for expansion into whole-house automation like Digilinx or Control4. Heck, I'd love to be a guinea pig for a new product. Even glitches and problems that would be utterly unacceptable in a professional install wouldn't bother me much. After all, I'd be facing them anyways if I pursued one of the PC based "roll your own" solutions.

Good Luck to everyone!

Jen
post #109 of 170 Old 09-15-2004, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AJF
BTW,
I emailed Jim Gist yesterday and told him about this thread . I want to thank him for replying and hope that he will continue to answer our questions .
I see the error in my ways. (blush)

My apologies to one and all for hijacking this thread, it was not my intention. Jim is a great guy and I also hope he will continue to reply. (backing away from the keyboard now)

Best regards and warm wishes to all from Texas.

Mike Braithwaite
post #110 of 170 Old 09-15-2004, 10:04 AM
AJF
Advanced Member

Mike,
I emailed him before you even posted . I was just hoping someone from their company would come on and give us some info .It had nothing to do with you if that's what you're thinking .
Don't worry, this thread was hijacked several times for all different reasons :) .
post #111 of 170 Old 09-15-2004, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Back to Contro4.

How does the lighting portion of it compare with Lutron RadioRA or HomeServe? How are scenes created and selected?

Max
post #112 of 170 Old 09-15-2004, 12:22 PM

Hi Max,

We won't be selling through DYI channels.

You can buy it through a dealer or if you are a developer you can attend our session at CES and then create drivers for the system. Being a licensed developer (non cost to you) you can buy one system once certified and licensed.

Please contact me for more information

jgist@control4.com
post #113 of 170 Old 09-15-2004, 01:18 PM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Jim,

Could you tell us when dealers will be able to modify Control4's UI? I do understand you reason for auto-generating a UI and absolutely agree with the strategy. That is an absolute must if you want to address a wider section of the market. But as a dealer the need to customize the interface is a must for higher end projects.
post #114 of 170 Old 09-15-2004, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AJF
BTW,
Hello,

The market being sold to today is a small percent of only 1% of the total US home market.

At any given time only 1% of US homes are new construction, of that less than 1% are wealthy people building new homes.

So if we are able to make products wireless dealers will be able to sell to all wealthy people, but if we can make it affordable, then you will be able to sell to all customers buying digital TV's on up.

Now all your customers can afford really home theater control, media management and lighting control at an affordable price.

You will no longer be restricted by wires and walls and now can automated an entire home from foundation to finish.

We want to partner with dealers to help them substantially grow the businesses, making it easier to program, install and service.

Hope this helped.
post #115 of 170 Old 09-15-2004, 08:21 PM

Hey guys,

OK

I saw a couple of questions:

1) UI creation or modification

We like to say Personalize for Profit, that said we will publish a SKD allowing you to create skins for user interfaces similar to how skins are created for Window's Media Player.

We will introduce this at the developers forum at CES.

2) Dimmers

The dimmers at UL Listed(They have completed UL already) at a 1000Watts. We have also created the following patented features

- Slim style line air gap switch - This allows us to create a decora type rocker switch
- Auto switch leg sensing circuit, meaning that one switch can be used for many types of installations
- Innovative patch antenna located under the key cap to provide increased signal strength.

The dimmers will communicate via Zigbee 802.15.4 or Ethernet

3) Quality

No kidding!

I too was a PHAST dealer and saw the issues.

So this time we have focused on building a world class organization.

To this end we have build a state-of-the-art testing and certification facility along with a fully equipment PQA lab. We can test for UL, ESD, Environmental, RF as well as forward and backward software/hardware compatibility testing.

In addition we have been conducting large scale beta testing for several months and will continue even after products have been shipped.

Running this group is Paul Nagel, our VP of engineering. Paul has a vast background running 3Com, Megahertz and Compaq engineering groups.

To find out more or to schedule a visit please contact me directly.

Chat soon

Jim
post #116 of 170 Old 09-15-2004, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The folks who brought you Phast have either learned from that experience or are pulling an other fast one.
That's a good one...

Quote:
Brent will either be justified in his enthusiasm or be pilloried for jumping to soon on a product that sounded good but was not ready for prime time.
No pillory here...trust me, I tend to take a long time to make permanent business decisions as to what new products and manufacturers I choose to carry. There is a fine line in being an early adopter or missing the boat. Timing is critical on making decisions like this. If I sold 30 Control4 systems at an average of $7,000 before the end of the year were only talking about 5% of my overall business. So, yes I will be trying them out, but they will be on probation so to speak. Just like any new dealer is with a manufacturer.

Quote:
They tried the same thing with Phast and the poor folks that bought into the hype did a disservice to every client and especially the firms that installed that product.
Although I won't argue that there are many Phast customers that have had their systems ripped out a few years later to be replaced with a Crestron or an AMX (Netlinx) system because of major problems. Of the many Phast customers I had, I would say that only 15% of them are not still in service and fairly happy (meaning they still buy from me). The problem wasn't so much in the system itself as much as people improperly designing and installing them to do things they shouldn't have done. How many times have I walked into a Phast home and found a wall of Phast dimmers all daisy chained together to handle the lights for the whole house? Needless to say much more than once. Some of this was inadequate training and some of it was the equipment limitations. Either way there is/was such a thing as a good Phast installation. I had it in my last home for almost 4 years back in the late 90's and it did everything I wanted it to do fairly well. The new home owners continue to be happy with it and this is nearly a 10 year old system. How many Crestron or AMX systems that are 10 years old do you still find in operation? - not many. People want the latest and greatest.

Brent Huskins
Media Design
post #117 of 170 Old 09-15-2004, 08:28 PM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bhuskins
If I sold 30 Control4 systems at an average of $7,000 before the end of the year were only talking about 5% of my overall business. So, yes I will be trying them out, but they will be on probation so to speak.
Sounds like your customers will be trying them out to me :).
post #118 of 170 Old 09-15-2004, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Nothing like being a beta tester! :)

Brent Huskins
Media Design
post #119 of 170 Old 09-16-2004, 02:42 AM
Advanced Member

Here's a press release I found:

###

Control4 Announces Vendor Partner Program; IP-Based Products Enable Communication Between Third-Party Devices
E-mail or Print this story

9 September 2004, 09:05am ET

SALT LAKE CITY--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 9, 2004--Control4, the leader in IP-based home control and entertainment systems, today introduced its Vendor Partner Program at the 2004 CEDIA Expo. The Control4 Vendor Partner Program is designed to support third-party manufacturers of consumer electronic devices. Participating vendors will team with Control4 to create plug-n-play drivers for their products. The third-party devices will then be used to communicate in an IP environment and seamlessly interface with Control4 automation systems.

"Control4 not only enables intercommunication between multiple devices from third-party vendors, but also allows non-IP devices to interact with its systems," said Jim Gist, director of business development, Control4. "We are pleased to introduce our Vendor Partner Program with such a distinguished list of founding partners."

Control4's Vendor Partner Program will offer two levels of participation; Level 1 -- C4C(TM), Control4 Certified -- partners will supply Control4's Integrated Systems Department their protocol and Control4 will create the plug-n-play drivers. Level 2 -- C4D(TM), Control4 Designed -- Control4 will work with partners to incorporate C4IQ(TM), embedded control platform software, into their products.

Control4 is working with the following vendors to launch the program: Apex, D-Tools, Denon, Escient, Infocus, Integra (CI division of Onkyo), JVC, Kaleidescape, Kenwood, Litetouch, Lutron, Mitsubishi, Orbit Irrigation, Panamax, Pentair Pool Products, ReQuest Multimedia, Russound, Sharp, Solar Shading Systems, Somfy, Sony, Vantage, VisionArt and XM Radio.

For more information, visit the Control4 Booth (#2029) at the Indianapolis Convention Center.

###

Nice to see a broad base of industry support.

Brent Huskins
Media Design
post #120 of 170 Old 09-16-2004, 02:47 AM
Advanced Member

It's good to see Apex on this list. They need to get Jandy on board as well.

Brent Huskins
Media Design
Closed Thread Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page