Long distance line level - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-12-2000, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What options are available for sending line level sources over long distances (around 100ft). My preferences would be for something that can be sent over inexpensive wire, such as Cat5. A pair of boxes with A/D and D/A that worked over ethernet, telephone lines, or power would be ideal. I am not interested in wireless (900mhz, 2.4ghz) technologies. Low cost is a very big plus. Sound quality doesn't need to be great, something along the lines of inexpensive mass market CD player sound would be fine. Critical listening is done in the living room where I have better equipment.

One option that I am aware of is the Terk Leapfrog. I can't find many reviews about this system though, and having had problems with Terk products in the past I am not too excited about buying more of their stuff.

My goal is to be able to listen to audio from my main stereo in other rooms. Our office and bedroom already have small stereos (JVC FS-2000), and I would just like to be able to select AUX IN on those to listen to stuff from other parts of the house, or use the CD Player/Tuner on those to listen to music independetly. For me this makes more sense then doing house-wide multisource sound, and it should be a lot less expensive.

There are ethernet-connected computers in every room that I care about, so a PC-based software solution using high quality sound cards would be acceptable if it was reliable and had good quality audio.

thanks,
alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-12-2000, 04:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Audio Control offers a series of balanced line drivers (receivers and xmiters) that allow you to do this over twisted pair wiring. www.audiocontrol.com. You're looking for the BLD-10 and BLR-10

------------------
D. Erskine
DEsign Cinema Privee
www.DEsignCinema.com
Imagine what you could do, if you could do all you imagine.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #3 of 6 Old 06-12-2000, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

What do these things cost? Who sells them? I couldn't find that information on audiocontrol.com.

Otherwise they look like what I need. I am just worried about the sticker shock.

alex
post #4 of 6 Old 06-12-2000, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Seeing you only need about 100ft your best bet would be to call around to AV dealers/Installers. Interconnect wire can be from $ .20 a foot to $ credit card linit. Will the cheap wire work? If run correctly Yes. Will the more expensive wire work? Yes. Difference- Shielding, impedence, conductivity at certain frequencies etc... I spec wire to match the equipment. My advice is to do the same. You might want to call a few places. There are a few people who want to make 5000% on wire.

Dave

------------------
Watch HDTV!!! Nothing else comes close!
post #5 of 6 Old 06-12-2000, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

My experiences are that line level cables can pick up noticable noise after 10 to 20', and I didn't think that 100' run would be suitable. The cable will be running parallel to telephone and ethernet cables (but not power) for at least 30' of the run as well, and I don't want to have bad crosstalk. I do have a 20' run of line level in my current system, going from the main reciever to a distribution amp in the basement for kitchen and deck speakers.

I used to do some semi-professional sound work (sound reinforcement for concerts up to about 3000 audience members) and we always used balanced cabling for a reason...

alex
post #6 of 6 Old 06-13-2000, 06:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
The Audio Control BLD-10 and BLR-10 (each are four channel units) are $125 each. They will handle distances of up to 1000' over CAT5 wire. The manufacturer guarantees no noise pick up (my experience confirms this). If you cannot find a source for these, please e-mail me.

Here is the site reference:

http://www.audiocontrol.com/multi_room.htm

------------------
D. Erskine
DEsign Cinema Privee
www.DEsignCinema.com
Imagine what you could do, if you could do all you imagine.

[This message has been edited by Dennis Erskine (edited June 13, 2000).]

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
Closed Thread Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page