IR Distribution - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-06-2000, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Channel Plus stuff is very good equipment. Can't address others. Sony "shouldn't" be a problem because the C.P. gear just receives, converts, reconverts, and xmitts so as long as the IR freq is kosher (ie: within the C.P. equipments range) you shouldn't have a problem.

Peracom also has a system that looks like it might work in this situation and might cost less. It is call A/VCast and is the brainchild of some IBM guys; as I understand it. Haven't used it yet, but have small setup to install soon. Will post only if I have troubles or on request.

Good luck.

The greatest oxymoron in the world is the "simple cell".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-06-2000, 09:39 PM

Greetings,

I'm considering the following options for distributing IR control throughout my house, and would be interested in your opinions:

1. PowerMids. Cheap and easy to install, but I've heard they don't work as well as a hardwired system.

2. ChannelPlus distribution AMP with IR engine. I need modulators too, so this would kill two birds with one stone. Simple installation,since IR is carried on the coax. Relatively expensive (~$300-$500 with distribution amp).

3. Xantech or Bufalo(sp?) hardwired transcievers and emmiters. More dificult installation (need new cable runs), and I don't really like the idea of using emmiters on my equipment.

The equipment being controlled is an IR satellite receiver (Echostar 7200) and a Sony Mega CD changer (CDP-CX450). I've heard the Sony might not work with IR repeaters.

TIA!

Kit
post #3 of 7 Old 06-07-2000, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shorton:
The Channel Plus stuff is very good equipment. Can't address others. Sony "shouldn't" be a problem because the C.P. gear just receives, converts, reconverts, and xmitts so as long as the IR freq is kosher (ie: within the C.P. equipments range) you shouldn't have a problem.

Thanks. I've decided to go with a ChannelPlus system.

Kit
San Diego, CA
post #4 of 7 Old 06-07-2000, 03:40 PM

Kit,
I have a little of ChannelPlus, Xantech, Niles, and Bufalo in my house and have been happy with all of it. The only problem I had was the Niles signal would not work when the emitter was placed directly over the ir window of my reciever, I had to lay the emitter at the bottom of the cabinet pointed up then everything worked ok. If you need an online source try http://worthdist.com/, they have the best prices. If you have questions call them @ 800-282-8864 and talk to richard. Good luck.
Bob
post #5 of 7 Old 06-08-2000, 06:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Kit:

I'd have to agree the Channel Plus would be the path of least resistance and is a works first time every time system. There is a warning here however ... you need to purchase DC blockers from Channel Plus as well. On any coax run that you do not terminate at a Channel Plus termination (ie, 2100A) you MUST install the DC blocker. When Channel Plus runs IR over the coax cable, it places DC voltage into the coax. This DC voltage is not well received by TV Sets, VCR's, etc. You can have a "blue smoke event".

While Niles has good "stuff", the rule of thumb in the field is you don't mix Niles with non-Niles IR stuff (ie, Xantech, Channel Plus, etc.) Xantech and Channel Plus have an incestuous relationship ... Niles is a loner and maintains proprietary differences in their designs. In some cases, Xantech and Niles can be mixed; but, in most cases the result is "unexpected results". The easiest way to avoid this potential problem is don't do it.

------------------
D. Erskine
DEsign Cinema Privee
www.DEsignCinema.com
Imagine what you could do, if you could do all you imagine.

[This message has been edited by Dennis Erskine (edited June 09, 2000).]

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #6 of 7 Old 06-09-2000, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Kit_C,
with the channel plus system you must use emitters to communicate with the equipment. Your distant IR receivers will communicate with the channel plus distribution panel and subsequently with the modulator. The modulator has 1/8 inch female connections for the insertion of emitters that will be placed over the IR windows of the source equipment.
All of your coax runs from the channel plus distribution panel to the ir recievers in each room must be home runs (no splitters). The ir signal is not able to pass through a splitter back to the distribution panel. You can split the signal on the TV side of the IR receiver, but not between the distribution panel and the receiver window.
Don O

[This message has been edited by Don O'Brien (edited June 10, 2000).]

Cheers,
Don O
post #7 of 7 Old 06-13-2000, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Molson:
Kit,

The SONY MRDD1 is the equivalent of the Channel Plus 3025. It has been discountinued by Sony and is currently being cleared out on UBID. Currently at $40. Cheap Cheap Cheap. I bought mine Yesterday.

FYI
Thanks for the tip - I just won one of these at auction. Is this really just a re-packaged 3025?

Dennis - thanks for pointing out the need for the DC block. I'll make sure I do this.

Thanks,

Kit

[This message has been edited by Kit_C (edited June 14, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Kit_C (edited June 15, 2000).]
Closed Thread Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page