Problem with Mutiple IR Emitters - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-13-2000, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Sony MRDD1 modulator (similar to Channel Plus 3025). It has 2 mini-jacks for IR emitters. I use one jack (#1) to control a nearby satellite receiver. I use other jack (#2) to control 3 devices over a 50 foot extension cable. At the end of the ext. cable I have mini-plug "Y" connector. I plug a single IR emitter into one connector and a twin IR emitter into the other. The problem is the emitters on jack #2 do not work when they are both connected to the "Y" connector. If I unplug either emitter from the "Y" connector the other one works just fine. They just don't work when they are both plugged in. Does anybody know why you can't use a "Y" connector with these emitters? How is the "Y connector different than the twin emitter I am using (bought them at smarthome.com). Can I get a triple IR emitter. Smarthome does not have one. I also thought about using an IR Blaster to bounce the signal off the rear wall and control all my equipment. Is there one available to work with my Sony MRDD2? Other than this problem the system work great. I can watch various sources and remote control several components from all over the house. I would be glad to answer any questions regarding modulators and multiroom signal distribution. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-14-2000, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've used Y connectors successfuly before to do exactly what you're doing. I assume the Y you're using is really designed for headphones or audio. The only tip I can give you is to make sure you are using a mono Y connector and not a stereo connector. I have a mono connector from radio shack and it works fine. Good luck!

------------------
Steve

Trying to figure it ALL out (and hope I never do!!)

Steve
post #3 of 6 Old 08-14-2000, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Steve,

Thanks for your reply. I AM using a stereo Y connector. Radio Shack did not have a mono in stock. I still don't understand why it works with either emitter connected but not when both are connected. I thought it was odd that the 50' IR emitter extension cable I bought from Smarthome.com had stereo connectors. So I tried by-passsing the Y connector and hooking up directly to the extension cable and it worked fine. Does stereo vs. mono connectors really matter or do you think it could be something else.
Thanks again.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-15-2000, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Since I don't have a stereo and mono Y in front of me to compare, I can't say for sure why it works when one is connected, but not when both are connected. I would guess that when you have two connected, you are connecting them in parallel instead of in series like they are supposed to be. Stereo jacks have 3 points of connection within the jack and only have two. You're probably effectively creating a parallel connection because the plug on the emitter is touching the two parts of the jack, thereby causing a "short" or a parallel connection. Long story short,I bet your problems go away if you get a mono Y! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Steve

Trying to figure it ALL out (and hope I never do!!)

Steve
post #5 of 6 Old 08-16-2000, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Steve,

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried a mono Y connector and it still didn't work. I guess it's possible that the stereo extension cable is the culprit.
Anyway I did get it to work by using a "triple" emitter cord. It is still connected to the stereo extension cable though, but I no longer use the Y connector. I am not sure why it didn't work before, but I'm glad it's working now. Thanks again for your help.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-17-2000, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Sometimes I run upon this problem with other devices. Try this:

First method (Series)

1)With the plug end in hand move down a few inches and cut thr cable.
2)Strip the wires for both cables and one plug end.
3)Wire the IR flashes in series. + end of plug to positive end of 1st emitter. - end of 1st emitter to + end of 2nd emitter. + end of 2nd emitter to - end of 3rd emitter. - end of 3rd emitter to - end of plug.

Second Method (Parallel)

1) Strip wires as indicated above
2) All - wires together
3) All + wires together
4) Use only one plug and one port.

Other IR distribution amps are available from companies.

Good Luck

Dave

------------------
Watch HDTV!!! Nothing else comes close!
Closed Thread Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page