Video Distribution - Use wireless? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-18-2000, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a couple of extra 15" flat panel displays with Composite/SVideo inputs. I was thinking of putting one in the kitchen, and one in the bathroom, mounted in the wall viewable from the tub. I am still in the process of buying all of my home theater equip, so I can be fairly flexible. What I am wondering is, should I use some sort of wireless video xmission to feed video to these panels, or should I cable them? They have no tuners, so I would also need some sort of video distribution mechanism I guess. I am planning on buying a Dish or DSS system, and a reciever, but haven't made any purchases. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-18-2000, 06:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
You'll be far better off (performance and cost wise) using coax cable rather than wireless. Wireless will be very expensive.

------------------
D. Erskine
DEsign Cinema Privee
www.DEsignCinema.com
Imagine what you could do, if you could do all you imagine.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-18-2000, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

How would I convert back from coax to composite or S-Video at the flatpanel? Wouldn't I need a tuner for that?

Thanks,
Adam
post #4 of 8 Old 09-20-2000, 07:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I don't know what you mean by converting coax to composite ... composite runs on coax.

In any case, if you're saying your coax is coming from your cable or off air antenna, you will need a tuner. I've found the least expensive tuners to be cheap VHS recorders.

------------------
D. Erskine
DEsign Cinema Privee
www.DEsignCinema.com
Imagine what you could do, if you could do all you imagine.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors

post #5 of 8 Old 09-20-2000, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adamtraidman:
How would I convert back from coax to composite or S-Video at the flatpanel? Wouldn't I need a tuner for that?

Thanks,
Adam
You can terminate the coax cable with an F-type connector and use an F to RCA connector from Radio shack or from Niles Audio ( www.nilesaudio.com ), or you can get an RCA connector which solders onto a coax cable directly.

For S-video, Tributaries has a converter which converts composite to s-video. You can find it online at www.tributariescable.com the video cable is called TRIBUTARIES C2S CONVERTOR.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-20-2000, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

The setup would be a satellite receiver and DVD player plugged each into an input on a video capable receiver. I would then be feeding the output of the receiver to a TV, and to two panels. I was under the impression that the outputs on these receivers was composite and SVideo. I interpret from your replies that you can just as easily run composite over coax, and run coax to the panels, run that through a converter, and get composite or svideo into the panels. The question is, do video distribution capable receivers usually have composite over coax outputs?

Thanks,
Adam
post #7 of 8 Old 09-21-2000, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adamtraidman:
I interpret from your replies that you can just as easily run composite over coax, and run coax to the panels, run that through a converter, and get composite or svideo into the panels. The question is, do video distribution capable receivers usually have composite over coax outputs?

Thanks,
Adam
Yes, A/V receivers use composite video which uses a 75 ohm coaxial cable terminated with an RCA connector. You may be confusing coax with F-type connectors which is the standard termination for residential video electronics. Coax is a cable type which can be terminated with several different kinds of connectors including F-type, BNC and RCA.

Dave

After re-reading your question what do you mean by "panels" and "video distribution receivers".

[This message has been edited by David Guill (edited 09-21-2000).]
post #8 of 8 Old 09-21-2000, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Adam:

This actually is pretty straightforward & inexpensive. For video connection between your receiver & the flat panel displays, you:
1) Purchase a run of standard coax cable (which will be terminated on both sides with F connectors). Run this between the room where your A/V or satellite receiver is & where your flat panel display is.
2) Purchase 2 F to RCA (sometimes called "Phono") plug adapters. Here is the part info from Radio Shack:
>>> "F" to Phono Plug Adapters $1.99
>>> Cat.#: 278-253
>>> Accepts female "F" connector, fits phono jack.
3) Put the adapters on either end of the coax.
4) Plug one end into the video out of your receiver. You could also hook it directly to the composite video out on your satellite receiver.
5) Plug the other end into the composite video in.

Note that the above is a video only solution. You'll also need to get audio into these rooms. You could do this by running 2 sets of speaker wire (terminated by RCA plugs on both sides) to each room along with the coax. These can be attached to the corresponding L&R audio out jacks on your A/V or satellite receiver. In the kitchen / bathroom, you could use amplified speakers, like those used for PC's or Walkmans.

You'll also need to consider how you're going to change channels. I'd recommend a satellite receiver with UHF remote capabilities. Otherwise, you can add an IR repeating layer to all of the above.

Please let me know if you have any questions re: the above.

Regards
BB

[This message has been edited by bb80301 (edited 09-21-2000).]
Closed Thread Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page