Multiple Sony MRDD1s? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-15-2000, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it possible to use two Sony MRDD1s together to distribute four differents inputs? Could I (for example) input my DVD and SAT1 receiver into the first MRDD1, and feed the coax from one of the local TV outputs into the coax input on the second MRDD1 along with the input from my VCR and SAT2 receiver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-16-2000, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here's how I handle more than 2 inputs with the MRDD1. I connect my SAT1 receiver into the MRDD1 input 1 and the "room 2 out" of my Yamaha receiver into the MRDD1 input2. The Yamaha has a SAT2 receiver, DVD, and VCR connected. So all I do is switch the input on the Yamaha to the proper source. Everything can be controlled from another room using the IR distribution feature. You could also use a cheap Radio Shack AV switcher (about $30) but would lose the ability to change source with a remote control. Good luck.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-16-2000, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

A few thoughts:
  • As you may know, the Sony MRD-D1 is the same product as the ChannelPlus 3025. It has been discontinued by Sony, but is still available from ChannelPlus.
  • The configuration that you described should work -- use one of the outputs for short runs rather than long runs from the 1st unit to the Ant/Cable input for the 2nd unit. I'm doing something similar, which is feeding the output from a ChannelPlus 5645 modulator (4-channel MTS) into the MRD-D1. I needed to put an attenuator (purchased from Radio Shack; set at mid-point) because the signal coming out of the 5645 was so strong that it over-drove the amplifier in the MRD-D1 (causing a herringbone effect).
  • You might want to consider using an MTS modulator -- I've been really pleased with the ability to hear stereo in the remote rooms. I also like the tuning method on the stand-alone modulators vs. the dials used on the MRD-D1.
  • ChannelPlus tech support was very helpful to me in diagnosing & fixing the herringbone problem described above.

Please post or e-mail me if I can be helfpul in any way.

Regards
BB

[This message has been edited by bb80301 (edited 10-16-2000).]
post #4 of 7 Old 10-18-2000, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Alright...I've tried hooking up the first Sony MRDD1 and I can't get a signal on the destination TV. The setup is as follows (for testing purposes...not the hoped-for final)

1. I get Long Island Cablevision Basic service (locals plus a few shopping channels...heaven forbid Cable prevents me from shopping!)
2. I have the Cable TV line run directly into the RF IN on the MRDD1
3. I have the RCA composite outputs from my Sega Dreamcast (remember...testing) run into the line 1 inputs on the MRDD1
4. Power is hooked up.
5. Test TV is located nearby...only input is from the LOCAL output of MRDD1.
6. I'm able to receive the cable channels on the Test TV.
7. I can't tune to the desired modulated channel. I've tried every channel between 55 and 86. I'm wondering if Cablevision is somehow sending out a signal on all the channels that the MRDD1 can't override. I know that the high 60s and most of the 70s are reserved for PPV.
8. When I remove the CABLE TV input from the MRDD1, I'm able to get the modulated output on whatever channel I want.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

[This message has been edited by chasmm (edited 10-18-2000).]
post #5 of 7 Old 10-18-2000, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

If all of the cable available channels are already being used, I can think of two solutions:
[*]If the channels that you want off of cable are only on 2-13 (i.e. typical broadcast), you could try changing your TV tuner from "cable" to "uhf" and modulating to UHF channels (14-64).[*]You can use a lowpass filter that will block out a specific range of channels. ChannelPlus has 4 models (models LPF-xxx). You would put the filter in between the cable and the MRD-D1 input.

If you continue to have problems, as I mentioned above, I found the ChannelPlus tech support people to be very helpful when I needed assistance.

Hope this helps.

BB

[This message has been edited by bb80301 (edited 10-18-2000).]

[This message has been edited by bb80301 (edited 10-18-2000).]
post #6 of 7 Old 10-18-2000, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your help...

The problem does seem to be that Cablevision is overriding the channels, so I'm going to order a filter from ChannelPlus.

However something from your earlier post confused me...

[quote]Originally posted by bb80301:
[b]A few thoughts:
  • I'm doing something similar, which is feeding the output from a ChannelPlus 5645 modulator (4-channel MTS) into the MRD-D1. I needed to put an attenuator (purchased from Radio Shack; set at mid-point) because the signal coming out of the 5645 was so strong that it over-drove the amplifier in the MRD-D1 (causing a herringbone effect).
  • You might want to consider using an MTS modulator -- I've been really pleased with the ability to hear stereo in the remote rooms. I also like the tuning method on the stand-alone modulators vs. the dials used on the MRD-D1.

If you feed output into the MRDD1, don't you lose the stereo capability?

Chas.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-19-2000, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chasmm:

If you feed output into the MRDD1, don't you lose the stereo capability?

Chas.[/b]
No, the MTS signal passes through. It's similar to the MTS signal on your cable channels or antenna feed -- these are passed through by the MRD-D1.

Regards
BB
Closed Thread Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page