RS-232 and the Denon AVR-5800 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-19-2000, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As a recent purchaser of a Denon AVR-5800, and being a longtime computer/electronics hobbyist, I was intrigued when I found that the
5800 has an RS-232 port for home control systems. Denon also states that the port can be used for software/firmware upgrades but I seriously doubt they'll ever do that.

In any case, I decided since I already have a PC integrated into my home theater, why not try to incorporate control of the Denon via RS-232. Therein begins the fun, as Denon saw fit not to include either the port pinouts (although I suspect standard 9 pin serial) or the control codes that one can use via RS-232.

I've called Denon Service and to my dismay, even they did not have the info. Instead they said they would have to contact Denon Japan and get back to me. So, I ask here... if anyone has any resources on the missing info, please share it with me and the others in this forum.

I look forward to being able to fill everyone in on my progress as I invent my own home control system. Thanks in advance!

XBox Gamertag: Shadowhwk
PSN: Shadowhwk_YYC

"The first few times fighting her, I felt as helpless as a one legged cat trying to cover turds on a frozen pond." <---- We've all been there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-22-2000, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Dale,

If you find the RS232 control codes, please do post where you found it.

I'm considering getting the Denon CDM-5000 CD-changer that can be intelligently controlled via RS-232 and writing software to control it. Basically, I want to emulate what Escient does with their $5K TuneBase software. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Max
post #3 of 5 Old 11-26-2000, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry guys! I tried to pull some strings, and Denon wouldn't even tell me (a dealer) what the pins or codes are. I guess they are keeping it hush-hush so that Escient, Elan and some of the others can use it.

Sorry, I tried!

Dan

------------------
Dan Henderson
dan@net-impress.com

Dan Henderson
dan@net-impress.com
post #4 of 5 Old 11-26-2000, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Basically I came across the same stumbling block. Denon is uninterested in helping their end-users. I posted the reply I got from Denon Japan in the AVR-5800 forum on EZBoard. The link to the thread is below, and my message is the eighth one.

I've since written another email expressing my dissatisfaction, but so far no response. I'll let you all know if I find anything out.
http://pub7.ezboard.com/faussiedvdan...icID=329.topic

XBox Gamertag: Shadowhwk
PSN: Shadowhwk_YYC

"The first few times fighting her, I felt as helpless as a one legged cat trying to cover turds on a frozen pond." <---- We've all been there!
post #5 of 5 Old 11-28-2000, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

I would suggest you post a message in the Audio-Hi-Fi area of the forum, as there is a member named "Denon Dave" who is a sales manager for Denon.

Thanks,
Dan

------------------
Dan Henderson
dan@net-impress.com

Dan Henderson
dan@net-impress.com
Closed Thread Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page