Quality Video Distribution - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-10-2000, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I have a central AV distribution closet, what is the best strategy to run good quality video from the closet to each television? Would I have to run composite signals over coax (3 cables: one video and two audio), snake long svideo cables (plus audio) or what? Appreciate your help...

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-12-2000, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Well, here's the setup. I have dual RG-6 to each room. Each cable is home-run to a central distribution box in the garage. Now, I read that this setup is "ideal" for home AV distribution. So far, I disagree. The article I read said that any signal "created" in one room, could be fed with one of the coax runs back to the distribution box, and then distributed to any other room. The other run to each room was for the main feed. The system would use modulators to put each "source" on its own channel. This works ok, except with a satellite or cable system, when the DSS or cable box is in the family room. If the cable/DSS box is in the family room, you have to use at least one of the coax runs for the main feed.

Anyhow, the real question is two-fold. Can someone point me to sites with an explanation of how to take advantage of dual RG-6 coax runs to each room, or whole house AV distribution. Secondly, doesn't the quality basically suck in the modulated scenario, compared to running SVideo directly from a DSS/cable box to your TV?

Thanks,
Adam
post #3 of 11 Old 11-13-2000, 04:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
There's a few observations here.

First, you can run the modulated signals from other sources over the same coax cable carrying the feed from the DSS dish to the DSS receiver (diplexors required). Thus, leaving the second coax to feed the modulated source to the remainder of the network.

With but two coax feeds to each room, you could utilize one cable for composite video input (better than a modulated FM feed) and the second as a composite video out to a distribution switcher. This rather ignores the audio side, however. With two coaxes to each room, one could be composite video, the other digital (SPDIF) audio. This, of course, requires a matrix switch and that all your sources be located in a central equipment cabinet and that all sources output digital audio. (You could also use both coaxes to provide L/R audio and the CAT5 to carry the s-video signal.

Before you engineer a solution, I think you need to map out exactly what you want to achieve...where sources will be located, which of those source make sense to distribute (and control remotely). [I, for one, would not be amused to be watching a movie in the theater and have someone in another room switch channels or pause/change the DVD.] When you look at the costs associated with distribution schemes, often a second source (DVD, Sat receiver, VCR) becomes not only less expensive but more pragmatic.

------------------
D. Erskine
DEsign Cinema Privee
www.DEsignCinema.com
Imagine what you could do, if you could do all you imagine.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 11 Old 11-13-2000, 03:57 PM

Adam
I found having two DSS receivers in the two main viewing rooms and then distributing those to all other locations works very well. So everyplace besides those two rooms you basically have a A/B switch. Since our home is long and narrow , it cuts down on cable lengths.
Just something to consider
Grant

"Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran
post #5 of 11 Old 11-15-2000, 02:12 PM

Keeping in mind the problems many people have using modulated distribution schemes, and the obvious decrease in image quality, the following two links provide some helpful information about this type of whole house video distribution. I imagine that a mix of systems could be adopted for control of the system with a cross switch for distribution of baseband signals through your cable of choice. (s-video, composite, component RG6) However, as Dennis said, it could get very expensive to outfit the control system and cross switch making separate systems more desirable in the end.
http://www.hometech.com/learn/video.html http://www.hometech.com/learn/dss.html
post #6 of 11 Old 11-15-2000, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the all the great feedback. Those links look very informative.

Adam
post #7 of 11 Old 11-26-2000, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link.. I completely agree with you, the modulated solutions seem completely out-dated given the high-quality signals we have these days coming from DVD and DSS.

I personally would like to get people's feedback on the quality of a DVD signal when modulated and run over coax. Any feelings?

Thanks,
Adam
post #8 of 11 Old 11-28-2000, 06:43 AM

I see that I have arrived at the right forum, at the right time !
I was thinking about the 'modulated system' untill I started to see more
"options" from this group. I'll lurk, read your links, then ask some
questions.
techno challenged alien8
post #9 of 11 Old 11-28-2000, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

When modulating the output from a DVD player make sure that the audio output of the DVD player is set to PCM. On some players you may be surprised at what you get for audio output from your TV.

Dave
post #10 of 11 Old 11-28-2000, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by adamtraidman:
Thanks for the link.. I completely agree with you, the modulated solutions seem completely out-dated given the high-quality signals we have these days coming from DVD and DSS.

I personally would like to get people's feedback on the quality of a DVD signal when modulated and run over coax. Any feelings?

Thanks,
Adam
Adam,

I have not done an A/B comparison with DVD, but I have with DSS. On a 6 year old 31" JVC TV there is only a small difference between the modulated signal and the direct S-video feed. I suspect that the larger the TV the more difference there will be. In my situation the modulated signal is plenty good enough.

Jay

post #11 of 11 Old 11-29-2000, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree that the difference in video quality between direct connection vs. modulated is very dependent on the size of the TV.

I find the quality of the modulated signal to be good for our TV's 32" & smaller, but marginal for RPTV's. I also run a direct coax for the composite video feed from one of the satellite receivers in parallel with the modulated feed to our 60" RPTV & the difference between the 2 signals is very noticable.

For normal TV / Video applications, I find that the audio from the MTS (stereo) modulated signal is excellent. Not home theater or audiophile quality, but better than you'd expect.

Regards
BB

Closed Thread Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page