descision between elan,panja,crestron - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-15-2001, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
quick question I'm in the final stages of a whole house renovation amd I need to make a choice between control systems. the choices are Panja crestron and elan. I'm interested in knowing what people think. the elan seems to give about 90% of the options available at a much reduced cost. I'm looking for audio and video distribution including music library management as well as ability to add lighting and home theater later as budget allows. initially I was excited by escient as I have a large=1k cd collection but I'm currently leaning towards hard drive storage as it will be for background and non critical listening. I don't mind spending the dollars for a product as long as its clearly superior and does the job reliably. that being said I have cost concerns
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-15-2001, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

All of the control systems you mentioned are the best out there. Your decision should be based on what you like and the budget too. For the thousands you are going to spend, please go to a dealer for each product and get your hands on the controls. These interfaces will be the most expensive portion of the system( keypad, touchscreen, wireless touchpanel)
The Elan keypads and the New VIA touchpanel sure give a lot of options and controls for the money. They have a video switcher too in the Z series.
The PHAST and Crestron line have more choices in controls and design, but are clearly the most expensive out there. Make the right choice based on where and who is going to use the system. What you find easy, your family may find frustrating. All of these systems are modular, so you can add at will when the time comes( Elan Zseries, Phast Landmark, Crestron STS)
Make sure you use a seperate lighting control system that you can interface. Lutron, Litetouch and Vantage come to mind. If you really want to play with the x-10 stuff ( not recommended) use the PCS lighting modules. -jay

I need a girl whos name does not end in .jpg
post #3 of 6 Old 01-15-2001, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

I forgot to mention the topic of Hard disk music selection. Good choice! Instant music where you want it... Check these out :Arrakis DC4-100 and the Lansonic DAS-750 pro would work well. Escient will control a CD changer (sony or Dennon) and some HD music servers.- jay

I need a girl whos name does not end in .jpg
post #4 of 6 Old 01-15-2001, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

The control system question has been kicked around in the Forum area. If you do a search you should have plenty of info.

Dave
Crestron dealer/programmer

------------------
Watch HDTV!!! Nothing else comes close!
post #5 of 6 Old 01-15-2001, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

thank you for the input ill do a search and check out the info
post #6 of 6 Old 01-16-2001, 04:52 AM

I just got back from 2 weeks at Panja and can say I'd choose them over Crestron. However, I use the Axcent/Netlinx line and not Landmark. With the network capability of Netlinx you'd be hard set to find anything less upgradeable. On top of that, Panja has their own lighting system and their own web music devices, the BMP for streaming music or the DMP for storing your own. However, since it's all RS232 you could use a Lutron, Radio Ra or other lighting system instead.
Closed Thread Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page