Question regarding mono modulator - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-17-2001, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Sony MRDD1 non-stereo modulator. It has a left and right audio input. I have 2 cables (currently used for left and right audio) run through the wall from my Yamaha AV receiver to the modulator. I would like to use one of those cables for another purpose. Can I use an RCA Y cable adapter to combine the left and right output from my receiver, use one cable for the combined audio and then use another Y cable to connect to the modulator? Thanks.

Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-18-2001, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jay:

What you're describing should work fine. I don't think that you need the Y adapter at the modulator end -- you could just plug the single RCA plug into either the left or right input.

Please try it & let us know how it works.

Regards
BB80301
post #3 of 5 Old 01-19-2001, 01:12 PM

Jay,
Use both Y-connectors as you describe. If you do not use the Y-connector at the modulator end, the audio level will be reduced by 3dB.

If you want to convert this mono modulator to MTS stereo, look at our model 5601 http://www.channelplus.com/modultrs.htm#new5601. (You will still need only the single RCA cable.)

Rich Foye
post #4 of 5 Old 01-19-2001, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
bb80301 and rfoye,

Thanks for your replies.

rfoye,

How can you use the stereo converter (5601) with only a single RCA cable? Once the right and left channel are "combined" how does the converter separate them? Also what is it that makes a stereo modulator so much more expensive than a mono. The price difference between a mono and stereo VCR is insignificant. Thanks again.

Jay
post #5 of 5 Old 01-19-2001, 03:02 PM

(Long answers to short questions.)

Decoding an MTS signal is relatively cheap and easy. The greater complexity of the system was designed into the encoding task. The rational being that there are LOTS of TVs that will decode an MTS signal and relatively few broadcasters that will need to encode the signal. SO, make it easy to decode and don't care about it being hard to encode. Thus, MTS decode chips are plentiful and cheap and MTS encoding chips don't exist. Stereo VCRs only decode the MTS signal. They do not encode MTS.

The only sat receivers that ever had integral MTS circuits were a couple of C-band receivers from Chaparral that have been off of the market for years. ALL current VCRs, satellite receivers etc. are monaural on their modulated (ch3/4) outputs.

The MTS signal takes the left and right audio signals (L & R) and sums them together to create an L+R signal. Added to that, riding on a high frequency carrier wave, is an L-R signal (with a lot of DBX compression). So, now you have one 'signal' that has both channels of information. That is how a single RCA cable can carry both channels of information.

I don't know if this is at all clear. MTS works very much like FM stereo. (With a lot more noise reduction.) There are probably better descriptions of this technique elsewhere.

Rich Foye
Closed Thread Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page