Voice Communication to HT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-23-2001, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the process of upgrading all the low voltage wiring in my house in preparation for construction of a dedicated HT. However, I'm unable to figure out a sensible way to receive communication from elsewhere in the house or telephone when the theater is at 102dB. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif I do not want to run the audio signal through an automatic muter for fear of degrading the signal, nor do I want to install PBX phones. How do you folks deal with this issue?

------------------
Joe

[This message has been edited by jmanthey (edited 01-23-2001).]

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-25-2001, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
How about setting up a flashing light to alert you to a call or intercom?

You could even use morse code when your system is at 102db http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Phil
post #3 of 4 Old 01-25-2001, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. That's what I plan to do if I can't come up with a better alternative. I was hoping to find some way to convert my existing phones into an intercom system compatible with star wiring, but that doesn't seem to exist. I probably need the visual aid no matter what I do. Or I can just decide that communication with my wife isn't necessary. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Joe

Joe
post #4 of 4 Old 01-25-2001, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

A couple of ideas:

1) Rather than hard-wired telephone/intercom system, consider a 2.4 GHz wireless system with multiple handsets. Quality on these is very good -- better than typical cordless phones. Some high-end systems offer ability to call from handset to handset (i.e. intercom). Only the base unit needs to be hooked into the phone line(s). The most popular system like this is Siemens, but lots more are coming onto the market.

2) To make sure that you hear the phone ringing, you can use an extra-loud ringer, which plugs into the phone line. You can get these inexpensively at Radio Shack. Another thought is a phone that is designed for people with hearing impairment -- these have ringers built in that are extra-loud and adjust for ring frequency. The best is Walker Clarity -- available in both wired & wireless (also at Radio Shack).

Regards
BB80301
Closed Thread Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page