Volume control question w/ whole house audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-17-2001, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have whole house audio in 8 rooms. I use a Niles speaker selector box to distribute the audio. Control comes via a Niles Intellipad. Niles volume controls in each room.

My question is this. Is there any type of system that automatically sets the volume for each pair of speakers at a set level when it powers up? I know there are controls that turn on in a muted mode, but I want something that turns on at a specific level, regardless of what level the volume control was left at.

------------------
Steve

Visit our dedicated home theater, The City Cinema.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-18-2001, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

What powers the speakers-- a receiver with adjustable volume or a amplifier with a set output? Please list more of your system configuration.

I need a girl whos name does not end in .jpg
post #3 of 10 Old 03-18-2001, 04:35 PM
jcm
Advanced Member

This is a standard feature on ADA multiroom systems. Programmable systems, built from Panja and Crestron components on the high end, and Elan and Xantech components at midline price levels, can be setup to do this. I believe the IntelliNet product, and its Sonance counterpart also have this feature, but I'd have to check to be sure.

jcmitch
post #4 of 10 Old 03-18-2001, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by truaudiophile:
What powers the speakers-- a receiver with adjustable volume or a amplifier with a set output? Please list more of your system configuration.</font>
Currently, power is from an Onkyo receiver (with volume control), to a Niles speaker selector switch, to individual Niles in-wall volume controls, to the speakers.

JCmitch- Thanks for the info. I'll look into those products.

------------------
Steve

Steve
post #5 of 10 Old 03-19-2001, 05:00 PM
jcm
Advanced Member

Dennis,

What do you think of the AudioControl Director? I've looked at it a couple of times, always seemed a little kludgy to me.

jcmitch
post #6 of 10 Old 03-19-2001, 09:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
The AudioControl director also does this. You have many choices.

------------------
D. Erskine
DEsign Cinema Privee
www.DEsignCinema.com
Imagine what you could do, if you could do all you imagine.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-21-2001, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks everyone for the responses. I don't know why I thought this was something that was rare, if available at all. Now it's off to research my options! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Steve

Steve
post #8 of 10 Old 03-21-2001, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Steve, I am not sure if Yamaha has the ability to do preset volume levels with their gear. I was talking to some people about that situation and they pointed me in the direction of Yamaha. I cannot confirm this. You might check into the ability.
Overall, your need for more advanced control is going to lead you away from the receiver driving everything. The current setup not desireable, with two volume controls for the level in a room. The Elan system does not have a preset volume ability, but the PHAST system does. These systems are not typically installed by the end users.
One other thought, you may want to experiment with some programmable remotes to create a macro that will lower the volume on the receiver to the minimum and Experiment to find out how long that takes. After creating the the "lower the volume macro", you have a take off point to create a "preset volume macro" by using the UP volume control in a timed macro.

I need a girl whos name does not end in .jpg
post #9 of 10 Old 03-22-2001, 04:03 AM

You might also want to look in to the use of a controller such as the ADI Ocelot.
http://www.appdig.com/ocelot.html
This device can be programmed to emit IR macro's based upon an input from a single IR code. Different IR codes can trigger different macro's.
I have found this to be usefull in the past, so my customers remotes would not have to spit out a real long macro.

Good Luck,
Larry

It's not who you know,or what you know. It's what you can discover when necessary.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-22-2001, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by truaudiophile:
Steve, I am not sure if Yamaha has the ability to do preset volume levels with their gear. I was talking to some people about that situation and they pointed me in the direction of Yamaha. I cannot confirm this. You might check into the ability.
Overall, your need for more advanced control is going to lead you away from the receiver driving everything. The current setup not desireable, with two volume controls for the level in a room. The Elan system does not have a preset volume ability, but the PHAST system does. These systems are not typically installed by the end users.
One other thought, you may want to experiment with some programmable remotes to create a macro that will lower the volume on the receiver to the minimum and Experiment to find out how long that takes. After creating the the "lower the volume macro", you have a take off point to create a "preset volume macro" by using the UP volume control in a timed macro.
</font>

The volume on the receiver is not an issue. It's never been touched in two years. The problem is I just get frustrated sometimes when my wife or I turn down (or up) the volume in a particular room, and then the next time we power up the system, I have to walk through the house setting everything back to the "normal" level in each room.

I also expect to be forced to move away from the receiver driving everything. That's never been an issue either, it just seemed like an easy way to do it at the time. I really didn't do it to save money either, just because it was a quick solution, since I hadn't really researched all the technology available.

------------------
Steve

Steve
Closed Thread Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page