Assistance with Crestron programming - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-05-2001, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am assisting an associate with an upgrade to an HDTV based (sharp 16:9 RPTV) home theater. We are somewhat limited because he does not want to hamper the present usability of his system which is controlled by a crestron control system. The company that programmed the crestron provided him with paltry functionality from the original remotes (no input control, on antennae switching on the RP, no discrete input codes for the TV inputs etc.) He is still using multiple remotes after spending considerable money for custom programming, color touch screen, ST-CP, lutron interface, and installation of same. This seems like a travesty to me. If this were my system, I would take the course or a attempt learn it at home, but this is not feasible here.

I would like to know if Crestron has discrete codes for Sharps HDTVs in their current database. I surmise this costly set is capable of this because the discrete IR codes have been posted at remotecentral for some time.

I would be greatful if somebody would assist, so that I can assist this person in resolving his problem

------------------
STOP HDCP on DVI
Don O

Cheers,
Don O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2001, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

There are only descrete codes on/off codes for projectors. 99% of Crestrons database is the original remote codes. Its up to the dealer to either find the codes elsewhere of use a current sensor or video sensor to determine status. As far as Video inputs its trial and error. Some dealers like ourselves are always on the hunt for codes and sell equipment that codes are available for.

I also sent you an email.

David
Audio Video Excellence

------------------
Watch HDTV!!! Nothing else comes close!
Old 03-08-2001, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Dave,
thanks very much for the guidance and information on the Crestron control system.

------------------
STOP HDCP on DVI
Don O

Cheers,
Don O
Old 03-08-2001, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Did he call the AV company for an upgrade to the programming? You did not mention that in your post. There are lots of freelance Crestron Programmers that would be happy to make the changes. I would seriously look into these options. If the engine in your Ferrari breaks are you going to get a new one from GM? If he has a Crestron System, I am sure the gear is hi-end stuff and is worth the money to make it function as asked.
A good programmer or AV company will make the initial pages and update the pages as needed. Some charge up front and others charge per hour.
You can take the time and DL the SIMPLE FOR WINDOWS program from Crestron.
With some knowledge and maybe training, you can modify the equipment programming and add the items you want. Be aware that there will be some costly extras that may be needed-A IR learner, program cables, lots of time (because of the lack of experience). Choose the route that you want to pursue.

I need a girl whos name does not end in .jpg
Old 03-08-2001, 06:11 PM
jcm
Advanced Member

Crestron has a file for the Sharp 64" rear projection set in their database, the file # is S10455. It does not contain discrete power or input commands, I checked. Input commands are available in Philips Pronto/RC5000 format on the Remote Central site. With a Crestron CNXLIR IR learner and a Pronto one could capture the codes you are looking for and use them in your Crestron system. Power control for your tv can be easily integrated with a Creston ST-CS (Current Sensor) or ST-IO coupled with some third party sensors (SmartLinc), providing feedback as to the on/off state of the set. I would take a look at the CEDIA (Custom Electronics Design and Installation Association)website and see if there are any installers they can recommend in your area. BTW, you will need a copy of the control system files from the original installer to make any modifications. You cannot retrieve the necessary files from the Crestron, modify them, and put them back, its a one way system.

jcmitch
Old 03-10-2001, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The original company reports that there are at the limit of their ability to program this device. They state that they will have to charge close to a $1000 to redo his interface. They are not promising that this will include discrete control of his inputs on the television.

I thank you all for pointing out some critical facts:
1)The Crestron has the ability to learn codes via an IR learning device-cost around $500. If the company he purchased this equipment from would purchase the IR learning device for this and all future installs they would have much better control over the products they sell. There response has been "the codes do not exist". It begs the question, why would they mate a display device with a crestron when they are unable to provide control of the TVs input?
2)The Crestron is a one way system with regard to programming. If the original company is unwilling to provide us with the file (highly likely), then he will have to redo his crestron or depend on them to upgrade the product.
3)Billing for these services varies between "flat fee" and "hourly rate".
Tweakers that require extended functionality will incur greater programming costs to build a more extensive interface for their products.

Thank you all for your assistance. I am going to call the company on behalf of my associate, and attempt to reason with them. I will let you know how it works out.

------------------
STOP HDCP on DVI
Don O

[This message has been edited by Don O'Brien (edited 03-10-2001).]

Cheers,
Don O
Old 03-10-2001, 05:54 PM
jcm
Advanced Member

It should also be mentioned that Crestron offers to learn remotes sent to them by dealer/installers at no charge. You could send a Pronto, or some other learning remote with the necessary codes, to Crestron and have them add the advanced commands for your set to their database. It often takes a bit of time to get a control system working properly, especially one as versatile (complicated) as a Crestron. Hang in there, the results are worthwhile.

jcmitch
Old 04-04-2001, 03:26 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 214
In case anyone is interested, I have written a utility that will import Pronto codes into a Crestron driver file. If interested in the program, contact me via my email address. It's free for end users, but not free for people using it for profit. It supports raw learned codes (those that start with 0000), RC-5 (start with 5000), and RC-5x (start with 5001). Until I find some documentation on RC-6 and RC-MM, I won't be able to support them.

So those Sharp codes from Remote Central would be pretty easy to add to your Crestron database - no Pronto or Crestron learner is needed, just my program and the codes.

If you need help with Crestron programming, join the Crestron email list at Yahoo Groups (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/crestron). It really isn't too difficult to figure out how to use SIMPL on your own and some of the people on the list are very helpful.

Geoffrey Reynolds
Old 04-14-2001, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

cnoblejr, I did start the sentence with "IF"!!!LOL.-j

I need a girl whos name does not end in .jpg