Niles Intellicontrol / Vidikron projectors...Incompatable?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-11-2001, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, here's what I got. We are a dealer new to the Niles Intellicontrol. I have personally programmed Lexicon 700t's, Marantz RC5000i, for some time, without a hitch.

Well, the trouble area that keeps coming up with the Niles is, no valid codes, (no control) of the vidikron projector in the system. It won't turn the projector on or off, or control any functions.

I've tried learning the codes from the original remote, from ccf files from remote central, (via Guy Kuo's ccf file, loaded into an RC5000 and learned from the RC5000), and from a lexicon 700t that uses vidikron codes.

Everytime I try to capture the IR using any of the methods
listed above, I get a different carrier frequency almost everytime. Between 14K, 38K, 167K, 184K, 307K, and 368K.

The carrier frequencies listed above, can be duplicated every so often, and randomly.

I checked the carrier frequency using Lexicon's Lexidraw, and found the carrier frequency to be around 333K ~ 336K.

I spent 2 days on and off trying to get the Niles to generate a usable code for the projector with no luck, so I called Niles today.

To my surprise, they tell me that the Vidikron projector is incompatable with the Niles remote, as far as carrier frequecy goes, and that Vidikron is not very cooperative about this issue.

I was also told that because we are using a Faroudja scaler, that we might be able to control the projector's on and off functions via rs-232 from the scaler.

Anyone have any input regarding this dilema?

Thanks in advance, JJP

"Nothing is impossible. You just need enough money."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2001, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Why not use a RC5000 to control the PJ and the intellicontrol brain ? Since the Niles Intellicontrol remote has an IR code for each button an RC5000 should work like a charm. Much more flexability.

Dave

------------------
Watch HDTV!!! Nothing else comes close!
Old 05-12-2001, 07:32 PM
jcm
Advanced Member

JJP,

Two options, contact Applied Digital and see if their Ocelot can learn the high frequency codes. You can trigger its output via the relay closure on the Niles MSU.
Second, a company named Celedon makes an IR to RS232 interface. You can address one way serial strings with infrared commands from the IntelliControl. You'll need the 232 protocol for the Vidikron.
As an alternative, you could use a different controller. Crestron and Panja have control options for the Vidikron sets. The RTI T2, some of the remotes from Universal Remotes (like the SL9000), and the remotes you alredy mentioned have the commands as well. BTW, I believe its worthwhile to keep trying with the Niles, its my favorite too.

jcmitch
Old 05-13-2001, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Do you know the url's for Celedon and Applied Digital?

"Nothing is impossible. You just need enough money."
Old 05-13-2001, 07:34 PM
jcm
Advanced Member