Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi everyone -
i just posted this message on the ht general forum, but i thought i'd post it here too for more suggestions. hope you guys don't mind. i just wasn't sure which forum to post this on, so i'm hoping i don't step on any toes.
this forum has been so interesting that i decided to jump in and join the party. i've been reading a lot of the posts, and i'm learning new stuff every minute. you guys do a good job.
anyways, on to the main reason why i joined. i need your help in setting up my stuff. i'm fairly new to this ht stuff, and i'm still in the process of building up my collection. currently i have:
* sony receiver
* toshiba vcr
* rca sat receiver
* 27" daewoo tv (carryover from college days)
* phillips tivo
* sony mini component/50cd changer
* homemade htpc w/ dvd player
i have a few questions, being that i'm still trying to find my way around this ht thingy, and plus i don't really have a lot of $ to spare.
* i have a spare rca sat receiver that i want to use in the bedroom. i have a single-lnb dish. what can i do without breaking the bank?
* if that doesn't work, i have a recoton 900mhz wireless a/v sender. how can i get to work, so i can watch sat/tivo/vcr/dvd in the bedroom? where do i hook it up (tv, rcvr, sat, vcr, etc.)?
* recommendations for entry-level surround sound speakers(preferably a package already so i don't have to buy them separately) again without breaking the bank. just your regular, all-purpose set of speakers.
* also given my equipment, what's the best way to configure them so i can have all the functionality available? (i'm not sure if i hooked it up right). i'll try and post what i've done next time, but if you guys want to take a stab at it, i'd greatly appreciate it.
i'm sure there's a lot of other questions that will come to mind, but this is off the top of my head. needless to say, i'd probably be a regular here, as like i said, i'm just trying to get into this thing.
i'd appreciate any help you guys can offer, and again, kudos for doing such a good job!
i feel so inadequate reading some of the posts here and on the other forums. my whole 'system' costs less than what other people would spend on cables or surge/power protectors. i'm not ready to run with the big boys, so please keep that in mind when making suggestions. thanks.