Single source - Multiple Rooms - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-24-2001, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been earnestly following this site for well over a year now. In fact I just finished reading "Ultimate Home Distribution System", and all I can say is WOW. What I aim to do is much more basic. I would like to distribute music to multiple zones of my house, which will be used primarily while entertaining. I would like to have a seamless flow of music in the common areas vs blasting the system from one room. Can you help me with the basics of setting this up. One issue that I would like covered, is rather than buying say a B&K AV1260, which I assume will enable me to put 2 speakers in each of 6 rooms (12 channel amp), is it possible to use a much more powerful 6 channel amp that I already own and am not using (ATI AT1506)and still achieve music in six different rooms. If this is possible, how is it done and what are the pros/cons of each? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-24-2001, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

The more I think about it, your approach is probably the same route I will go. The quality of sound of the multi-room systems are really only for background listening. If an area requires that you are able to select different music sources, it should probably be setup with it's own system and speakers that are better quality than a multi-room/multi source system with in-ceiling speakers.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-24-2001, 02:46 PM

Hi all,

Just my 2 cents on this topic but probably the best way albeit not the cheapest is to purchase a muti room amp system like Kustom, Niles or Russound (I like the Kustom) and home run your speakers from each room to the amp. What I like is the higher grade model has slave Vol controls with ir (at each location) that will accept signals from up to 4 sources and you can control the sources at each location with your remote

Good luck

Gil
post #4 of 6 Old 05-24-2001, 05:24 PM

You can use any two channel amplifier (even an inexpensive stereo receiver which has many advantages) and feed it into an impedance matching device. The impedance matching device allows you to hook up several (4, 6, 8, 12) pairs of speakers but it will cause the amplifier to act as though only one pair of speakers is attached. In other words, you can take the output from the amplifier and feed it into the impedance matcher and that in turn will feed out to the additional zones. You can find an impedance matching device at your local electronics mass merchandiser. If your current 6-channel amp is 4ohm stable you can parallel two zones into each output port (2-zones per left/right) and install an 8ohm volume control at each zone. GilR's suggestion is good too if you'll be using different sources in different rooms (i.e. CD in one zone, Tuner in the other, etc...).

------------------
-John G.

-John Gonzales

wwjd?
post #5 of 6 Old 05-25-2001, 05:00 AM

Another option I ran across is - JVC makes an speaker switcher (non amplified) as described by JohnG that has ir control. That's an alternative if you have some sort of ir engine running i.e. Channel Vision etc.

Rgds
post #6 of 6 Old 05-25-2001, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

If multiple zones means 3 or less, buy the ELAN Z630 Preamp to go with your ATI amp. It will be just what you need for distributing audio through the house, and you can use volume controls, IR, or keypads depending on your preference/budget. .02

I need a girl whos name does not end in .jpg
Closed Thread Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page