Multi room speaker amplification - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-09-2001, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings everyone. I am new to this arena, so please forgive me if the if the answer to the question seems obvious.

My parents have built a new house and have installed 10 wall speakers through the first floor of the house. What type of amplifier can they use to power this? I am not asking for brands, though I am glad to hear about that too. Rather, I am referring to whether I could use a quality 5 channel amp to power 10 speakers or is the impedance too great for such an amp. Do they HAVE to buy a 10+ channel amp? I am hoping to hear that all they need to do is purchase an additional component to separate the power.

Currently, the power source will not need to power any additional home theater speakers. The speakers are all arranged in pairs, they are 6 1/2 or 5 1/4 inch two ways, all rated at 80 watts, 8 ohms. The wiring and installation was professional, but they did not sell components.

If there is any additional info you think might help, please pass it on. My knowledge on the subject of stereos is decent, but not advanced. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-10-2001, 11:03 AM

you can use any amp that has a 2 channel output at a minimum. a 5 channel amp will work but you wont use all five. also, with that many spkrs you will want to make sure it outputs at least 100 watts per channel. in addition to that you will need what is called a speaker selector. its basically a box that accepts the output from your amp then splits it 2,3,4,6,8,10 or more ways(depending on which unit you get) to your speakers while maintaining an 8 ohm impedence to your amp. there are many manufacturers that make these:niles and russound to name 2 so it shouldn't be hard to find one.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-11-2001, 03:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I never done this before, but I was planning on using a 12-channel amplifier (Niles has a 60W/channel for about $2200) with volume control in each room ($60 per). But I am not sure how the speaker selector works. If you have the amplified signal split 6 ways, do you need a 300 watt/channel amp to drive all 6 speaker to 50 watts?

What are the pro's and con's of each approach?

Niles also a cheaper 12-channel amp ($1300) that drives 30 watts per channel or bridgeable to 80 watts per channel. This approach seems easier since there is no impedance matching considerations which I am also a bit fuzzy on.

[This message has been edited by Jonmx (edited 06-11-2001).]
post #4 of 7 Old 06-11-2001, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

A nice multi-channel amp to handle the impedance is all that is needed. Just check the specs to be sure. Are you going to have the rooms play in Mono or stereo? I am assuming mono. Are there volume controls in each room? There are some nice multichannel amps with inputs that Buss together from Elan (Z660 is a six ch) and Speakercraft (BB835 is a eight channel) ,as well as many others.

I need a girl whos name does not end in .jpg
post #5 of 7 Old 06-11-2001, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I just incorporated a Sonance 1250 (12 channel-50 watts each) amp into my audio distribution system. Anyone looking at that power level in a 12 channel system should really check this out, especially if your interests and applications grow. This thing can brdige as many channels, essentially as you want, output mono or stereo and mix an auxiliary line level input (paging with audio selected source on) on each channels' output individually. It also has individual volume controls, power trigger controls and auto-on control. The flexibility is really neat. One could take 10 of the channels, for example setup for 100watts per channel for theater output and use 2 channels for a second room's output.

This thing does want its own 15amp circuit and is rack mountable, while providing great ballast at 55 lbs..

Fury
post #6 of 7 Old 06-12-2001, 06:04 AM

I was thinking of doing something quite similar to this in my new house. It is quite small so I was not going to get too complex. Would it be feasable to run a house off 4 different circuits (where several speakers were wired in parallel per channel) so that I could have, for example, 4 outdoor speakers off one output, plus 2 x 4 for general indoors and one set for the home theatre itself? I am assuming all I require is enough output power from the amp..
post #7 of 7 Old 06-12-2001, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Nathang,
You need to calculate the total impedance of the circuit you wish to connect to the amp. Keep in mind , the bridged output impedance the amp can handle is far less than per channel. 1/sp1(imp)+1/sp2+1/sp3....=1/spTOTAL for the parllel load. Make sure you read the fine print in the owners manual or info from the WEB.

I need a girl whos name does not end in .jpg
Closed Thread Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page