Single Channel or Multi-Channel Stereo Modulator? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-26-2001, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
rsd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am planning to set up a distribution system that modulates the output of a few devices (DirecTV, DVD and ReplayTV) located in my main entertainment area to the rest of the house. I would also like to be able to preserve the stereo sound in order to preserve as much as possible of the viewing experience.

I had thought that I might use a multi-channel stereo modulator, but they seem to be quite expensive. Is there any reason why I couldn't use just a single channel stereo modulator with an RCA video switcher that I could control remotely (via the same method I would control the output devices, the Powermid Pyramids from Smarthome) and just switch the output device that goes into the modulator as needed?

I'm pretty new at this whole modulator thing, but I've been lurking a while and trying to educate myself enough to take on this project. Any input would certainly be appreciated. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by rsd (edited 06-27-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-27-2001, 08:02 PM

Yes you can use a switcher. However, be careful to compare the costs. I looked at doing precisely what you are thinking of. However, by the time I added up the extra cost of the switcher + IR distribution equipment, it was no more than the cost difference between a 1-channel and a 4-channel modulator. I would suggest that you look at the Channel Plus modulators. They have the 56xx series. The 5615 is the single channel model; the 5645 is the 4-channel model. By my thinking, the 5645 is the easiest and cheapest, in the long run. Plus it will modulate MTS stereo surround sound on all 4 channels.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-28-2001, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have the ChannelPlus 5645 (4 channel MTS) modulator & it works very well. Best price I've seen is from Worthington Distribution www.worthdist.com $565.55 (way less than I paid...).

With respect to the switcher approach, you could use an A/V receiver & route one of the VCR outs (composite & both audio channels) to the modulator A/V inputs. The disadvantage of this approach is that you can't watch two different video sources (other than regular TV) in two different remote rooms.

I have had much better results using wired IR systems (ChannelPlus) vs. the wireless ones (e.g. Powermids).

Regards
BB80301
post #4 of 4 Old 06-29-2001, 04:28 AM
jkv
Advanced Member

If you don't *really* need stereo, you could always use the mono versions of the modulators.

Riverside Cinemas
Closed Thread Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page