Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-14-2001, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
Jym
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a three channel modulator, Triple Play. It is now 4 years old. I can not get the modulated channels to come in cleanly. I now have them 104, 106, 108.

It has got worst as our cable channel has added more channels and I use the cable for Internet access.

What can I do to solve the problem?

1) I could buy another 3 channel modulator. The cheapest seems to be the Triple play or OEM versions of the triple play. Would I buy another? If I buy a better one it is going to cost me $350.00. I sure don't want to do this unless I feel comfortable that things are going to be better.

2) Buy a single channel modulator and see if solves problem.

3) Buy something that cleans up the channels. Is there some kind of filter that would clean up channel 102 before putting the signal on the channel.

As I said my triple play is 4 years old. Have they improved?

Thanks,

-Jym-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-14-2001, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
Jym
AVS Special Member

Here is in more detail what I have tried.

What I am trying to do simplified

- Distribute Tivo to 13 TVs throughout my house.

Environment

- Tivo is in theater.
- I am using a high grade Quad RG6 for all wiring
- Theater is 40 feet from video distribution area

What I have tried

- I removed modulator, hubs, etc and tested just wire.
- I did this by connecting the cable which goes from the Tivo to the video distribution area to one of the Tv cables
- I moved the TV cable from it's RF input to a RCA video input
- Picture was perfect!!!
- Total cable length was about 60 feet with two splices

Then tried with just modulator and no cable signal

- Tivo was relatively clear but no where as good as above
- Text was very washed out

Then tried with modulator and cable signal

- Things looked really bad.
- Lots of static on channels

post #3 of 7 Old 07-14-2001, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A couple of ideas:
1) 13 TV's is a lot -- what are you doing for a distribution amplifier?
2) There's no substitute for experimentation. See if you can buy a new modulator from somewhere that will let you return it with no hassles / restock fees.

I have a ChannelPlus 5645 four channel with MTS encoder. Works well for video & outputs MTS stereo signals, which gives you much better sound than you can get through a mono modulator.

Regards
BB80301
post #4 of 7 Old 07-15-2001, 09:39 AM

You have mentioned that the cable company has implemented new products. These new products could be encroaching on the frequency range that you are using for your modulator. Even if their explicit ranges are below what you are using for your modulator, the cable companies are notorious for noise.

My suggestion would be as follows - you say that you are using channels 104, 106 and 108. The frequency for these channels is above 649Mhz in the spectrum - this SHOULD be above cable, but ... You can buy a filter from Channel Vision . Look at the 3102-105 filter. This is a low pass filter that will allow all frequencies below channel 105 to pass, but provide a clean frequency range above that, which can be used by your modulator. Put the low pass filter on the line from the cable input but before the VDU.

To test, once inserted, channel 104 should disappear from the sets around your house, but if effective, channels 106 and 108 should still be present and clear.

Now, with respect to the TiVo and clarity of the text, I don't doubt that your picture was clean on the RCA connection, while dirtier over the coax. There isn't too much I can suggest here. The modulators will NOT produce as clean a picture (at any distance, regardless of noise) vs. a direct connection. However, I have found that the quality of picture that I get with Channel Plus products (particularly the 54xx or 56xx series) is excellent. Further, they have built-in amplifiers that produce a bright, strong signals.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-15-2001, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Jym,
I think the earlier suggestion about a filter is bang on. When I put in my modulator I skipped the filtering because I could look at the channels from 80-85 and there was nothing on them. But when I tried to modulate my signal onto, say, 81, I could barely get a picture. Guess where your cable company puts all the digital channels and Internet connections ... give up? On channels not used for NTSC. Channels that appear empty are not. Get a filter.

13 TVs?!

------------------
R. Aster, scanning the forums

R. Aster
post #6 of 7 Old 07-16-2001, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter
Jym
AVS Special Member

I have ordered a Channel Vision filter 3102-105 for channels 105 and above. I will put infront of the modulator. Only cost $23.00. Will see if this helps.

I am going to see what the cable channels look like just going directly to one TV. I plan on doing this because the cable channels alone look pretty bad.

If they look bad I plan on having the cable company out to get their picture improved.

If after all of this the modulated channels still look bad with and without the AMP I plan on buying a new modulator. I plan on buying the channelvision or CP one.

Thanks,

-Jym-
post #7 of 7 Old 07-18-2001, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
We had the same problem when our cable system added more channels.
I found, in one of my catalogs that are around, an item to plug in the cable line just before it enters the modulator. I forget what it is called. It is made by someone called "ChannelVision".
It blocks signals from all channels higher than 84.
Since install, picture has been perfect on our DTV signals distributed on channel 84 and the VCR on 86.

You can buy these filters that also block all channels above 50 something and other configurations.

...mike
I can't recall where i bought it, but can look it up. Cost was probably around $25.
Closed Thread Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page