New Construction - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-02-2001, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I know this has been asked and answered before but I am in the planning stages for a new home and need the question answered for my specific scenario.

I need a system that has the ability for 4 - 5 zones, two of which will need video distribution. I would like keypad access w/volume in most rooms and possibly LCD touchpad in one room. I would like to re-use three stand-alone amplifiers I currently have in an ad-hoc multi-room set up. I also have several pairs of in-ceiling speakers that I never used in my current home that I would like to use in my new one. so, I don't need proprietary amps and speakers, only a flexible pre-amp that allows keypad or touchpad control.

Zone one (where equipment resides - will be powered by existing surround sound receiver or new?) - Hearth room with video - remote
Zone two (will be powered by amp one) - great room, dining room, ?deck? - want seperate volume - keypads + volume
Zone three (amp two) - home office - keypad + volume
Zone four (amp three) - Master bedroom and master bath - need video - LCD touchscreen?
?Zone five? - (need amp) - Deck and patio area. - keypad + volume

Zone five, the deck, may be optional if it will work with zone two. Will my recevied need to be dual zone?

Are there any experts out there that can help. I have looked at the Elan, Niles and Russound. Which would be my best solution as they are all somewhat confusing. I hope to pay less than $1000 per zone if possible. I will run all wires but may need programming help.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2001, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Video- Because the Elan Z system is modular, you can buy just the preamps and keypads and use your amps and speakers.
The elan Preamps can be controlled with IR sensors, Keypads, touchscreens, or just plain volume controls. This is just one choice of many though. Here is a 6 zone, 6 source setup.
2 Z630 preamps
1 Via touch panel
1 Pvia wall plate
6 Z100 keypads
Total would be about $5K not including labor or wiring. So the cost per zone is close. Keep in mind this not the area to discuss prices, but I don't mind letting people know general budgets and I hope others add their input too.
You might have 2k-3K in Structured wiring for Video and Audio distribution.
The Elan Via touchscreen can display video and/or control the television the rooms-very handy.
If you don't need a built-in color touchscreen with video, but would like a touchscreen remote to work your products, check out the Pronto II.
Look for a flexible A/V company in your area that will design a system including the wiring layout. You will probably pay a retainer fee for this, then after the wires you installed are in, the company can certify the connections and provide you with programming. IF you are a Technical sort of person, the programmer kit and some training can be made available to you. I'm really guessing here, but parts and education may be about $1k-$1.5K.

I need a girl whos name does not end in .jpg
Old 08-02-2001, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow, thank for the quick response.

Much to think about. I agree that I could do without the LCD touch pad by using a pronto or Marantz5000. I have one now in my HT and could buy another for the bedroom.

About how much could that save to have key pad only??

Thanks
Matt
Old 08-02-2001, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I forgot to say that yes, I am somewhat technical. Do my own HT installs, multi-room installs, programmed RC500 and installed own car audio. I think I can figure it out.

Are you saying that without labor, that parts and edu could be under $2k total?

Thanks
Matt
Old 08-02-2001, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, the only other items you would need would be the add- on IR receivers nest to the keypads. The Z150 numeric keypad is another option to think about. You can use Xantech IR receivers as well as the Elan units. The Elan units plug right into the back of the Z100 keypads.
The travel to Kentucky, hotel and the education classes=$ 500+
The Elan via learner hardware and software for programming the keypads and LCD screens = $500+
You would have to invest in these items if you wanted to do it yourself. The same goes for the Xantech Keypads-they need a $500+ interface for learing and programming the keypads. Decide if you want to invest in it or just have someone program them for you.
The VIA LCD touch screen is about $1.7K. Everything should be well within budget for you without the LCD. The VIA is well worth the money.
Your now down to $3.5K for a 6 zone system (adding in the IR receivers). This still leaves plenty for other stuff, maybe the Comm controller?

[This message has been edited by truaudiophile (edited 08-02-2001).]

I need a girl whos name does not end in .jpg