Solve one problem and I've got it - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-04-2001, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Now I'm in the right place with this question. I'm going to FPTV and want to clean up the temporary setup of the gear stacked in the front of the room. I found the perfect solution, installing an IR sensor in the front wall which will now be vacant except for speakers, and putting repeaters on all the various boxes which will now be moved to the adjacent room, and running all off a pronto.

The beauty of this setup is that none of the cable runs are long, either for the IR sensor/repeater setup or the system itself. But there's one problem. Light control.

The manual slide dimmer for this room is located in the open entrance hall to the room, right near the entrance. Trouble is, it faces the wrong way and cannot be seen or therefore IR controlled from the seating area. I might be able to get a small control cable up to it for a hardwired connect to the control system.

I've looked at the smarthome site and still don't quite understand what switch to use for a hard-wired setup and how to interconnect it with the rest of the IR system.

If I can't get a wire to it, what then? Could I use a radio frequency control setup rather than IR, with some kind of translator to take the pronto's IR output and convert it?

Somehow, I'd like to avoid spending a fortune here just to control this light switch, but it would be really cool to have a setup where the lights dim when the movie starts and come back up when you hit pause (for potty breaks).

Can you guys tell I'm green as grass here? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Dan

My HT is an oldie but goodie!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-04-2001, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

If you can get to the ceiling or another wall with just a slight view, you can use an IR blaster. You can experiment with reflections from objects or the wall opposite the switch. Semi-gloss and gloss paint reflect IR well.
The Lutron spacer light switches are available with built-in IR sensors. There are others too. RF is another possibility or you can experiment with x-10 switches. I know of a IR receiver/x-10 controller for less than $50.00
-HAVE FUN!

I need a girl whos name does not end in .jpg
post #3 of 4 Old 08-04-2001, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

True:

The wall opposite the switch is visible from the seating area at an angle of about 60 degrees. What's an IR blaster and where do you get it for $50?

Thanks.

Dan

My HT is an oldie but goodie!
post #4 of 4 Old 08-04-2001, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Try this site out to look at some stuff. Many things to look at to give you some ideas. http://www.smarthome.com/8135.html

I need a girl whos name does not end in .jpg
Closed Thread Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page