problems adding extensions to co-axial cables to Satelite Receivers --- help? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-05-2001, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
problems adding extensions to co-axial cables to Satelite Receivers --- help?

Ok....

I currently have a 3x4 multi switch. (going to upgrade to a 3x8)

I need to put the new multi switch closer to the floor, so I need to extend each cable about 15" (The cables coming from each receiver to the multi switch). I had some old
co-axial cable lying around. It does not say 'RG-6' or 'RG-59'

It says E83022 F6TSVX (UL)CATVX

I used the following end connectors (female end)

Radio Shack
Twist on 'TV Coax F Connecter'
24K gold-plated contact
For 75 -ohm RG-6 coax cable
Twist-on CF-59T0 plug
part number 278-286

I used the following barrel connectors (two male ends)

RCA
Two Coaxial Cable Feed Thru/In Line Connectors
"Extends coaxial cables with "F" type connectors"
part number VH66

The cable going INTO to multi switch FROM the satelite IS 'RG-6'

The cables going out of the multi switch are cables left over from the "Cable TV" days.

At first I would get a signal and picture but then it would cut out. I re-tried the connection leads a few times and the guide comes up, but then no picture and it says "waiting for signal"

Does anyone have any ideas?

Please email me!

DEguy1977@cs.com

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2001, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Well, it could be a wiring problem, or it could be that the added attenuation of adding a coupler in circuit has caused your signal to degrade. You might have to put a good quality RF Amplifier in series with your incoming cable line to boost the signal level back up.

I have the same dilemma - I want to re-locate the cable TV stuff from the current electrical panel to my wiring closet. Does anyone have any thought on the best way to splice these cables for optimum performance, other than doing the F-connector/barrel connector thing?
Old 08-05-2001, 10:20 PM

You can usually barrel connect a sat signal a few times without signal degradation(ie: multiswitch to patch panel to wall plate to reciever). I would bet it is your f connectors that twist on. If you plan on messing with coax a lot invest in a crimper and use crimp on ends. They never have the problem of the shield touching the core which is my guess. as for putting an amplifier inline with sat signal, that is a no no because the signal is running at anywhere from 13-18 volts and if you amplify that you will burn out your receiver, multiswitch, or LNB on the dish.
Old 08-06-2001, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

The cable you have probably has only a few strands of copper wire and a foil shield on the outer layer. I bet the twist on connectors ripped the copper wire out and you have no ground connection. Test continuity with a Volt-Ohm meter or another tester if you have one. Don't use those connectors in the future. They are not worth the trouble.

I need a girl whos name does not end in .jpg