Need advice on wire run through walls...... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-04-2001, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's my situation:
I'm retro-fitting RG-6 coax and Cat-5e wiring throughout my house. I'm running two Quad-shielded RG-6 cables and two Cat-5e's at each drop.
The master bedroom is the toughest wire run. I have to drop it down a 10 foot wall with at least two fire breaks. I have cut into the dry wall and drilled through the first fire break stud.
However, I misjudged the second fire break 2X4 stud and cut into the drywall too high above the stud.
I was able to negotiate the fish tape through a hole already drilled through the stud through which two romex cables are passing.
So finally, here's my question:
I know that running video cables (?cat-5e) along side romex (power) cables may introduce video interference. The cable would only run side-by-side with the romex through the 2X4 stud (approx. 2 inches or slightly more).
Since I'm using quad-shielded coax can I just leave things the way they are?
Or should I cut another hole (ugh!!!) in my wall to drill a new hole through the second fire-break stud in order to avoid the romex completely?
I'm also not sure what this may do as far as the Cat-5e wires are concerned. I'm not even sure if I will use the cat-5 but while I was crazy enough to take on this task, I figured I might as well run them along with the coax. I definitely don't want to do this again.
Thanks in advance for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-06-2001, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">You won’t have any problem with interference in the RG-6. That’s why it’s shielded.
Can’t say about the Cat-5. You might want to post a question on a computer forum.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
</FONT f>

------------------
My Equipment List

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-06-2001, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
You should have no problems with the Interference from most any source, especially from the RG6 cable. You did the right thing by utilizing Cat5e cable. This has much better shielding to reduce interference, as well as crosstalk (signal traveling from wire to wire) and attenuation, (signal degradation over a long span).
Hopefully your spans are under 100 meters, that's the important thing.

------------------
Joe C
MY HT/Gameroom

JOE
post #4 of 4 Old 08-07-2001, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Although it's a little late now, for future reference you may want to go to your local Home Depot. They sell 6' drill bits and the placement tool for about $30 total. This should get you through most single-story outside wall drops. If it's still short, go to ADI Litecomm if your in a metro area and they'll have EVERYTHING you need to drop any wall easily without cutting the wallboard up. Just ask'em at the counter.

Closed Thread Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page