Speaker Wiring Challenge - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-18-2001, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
A buddy of mine has Hardwood Floors over slab and no attic. Anyone have any ideas how to run the wires to the rear surround speakers without having the wires snake across the floor?

Is there a viable "wireless" method that would still allow him to use his current set of speakers?

------------------
Obsessed is such an ugly word... We like to think of ourselves as extremely focused.

Obsessed is such an ugly word... We like to think of ourselves as extremely focused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-18-2001, 03:30 AM

Liked: 10
Does he have wooden mop boards along the walls? If so, an experience carpenter should be able to remove the mop boards without damaging them and you could run the speaker cables behind the mop boards. You may need to cut a groove out of the back of the mop boards so they will still lay flush with the walls.

If there are doors in the way, it would complicate things further. You would need to remove the trim boards and run the speaker wire behind them as well, going up one side of the door and down the other side.

If this isn't an option, I'd have to ask what materials are the walls and ceiling?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt that a wireless solution would give sufficient sound quality for home theater use.

-James
post #3 of 5 Old 08-18-2001, 08:28 AM

Liked: 10
I'd have to assume your friend has active (powered) rear speakers...if so, which mfg/model?
post #4 of 5 Old 08-18-2001, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by shrewdinvestor:
I'd have to assume your friend has active (powered) rear speakers...if so, which mfg/model?
Actually no they are not powered. They are standard speakers. Therefore I'd need to have wires to them directly or some other wireless solution. I have seen that ADVENT makes a pair of wireless speakers but I imagine they don't sound very good...

------------------

post #5 of 5 Old 08-21-2001, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally posted by JamesAB:
Does he have wooden mop boards along the walls? If so, an experience carpenter should be able to remove the mop boards without damaging them and you could run the speaker cables behind the mop boards. You may need to cut a groove out of the back of the mop boards so they will still lay flush with the walls.

If there are doors in the way, it would complicate things further. You would need to remove the trim boards and run the speaker wire behind them as well, going up one side of the door and down the other side.

If this isn't an option, I'd have to ask what materials are the walls and ceiling?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt that a wireless solution would give sufficient sound quality for home theater use.

-James
Or they could be added, either on the floor or ceiling. Just make sure that you or a contractor don't put nails/screws through the wires.

Wireless sucks, I can't even stand my phone.
Closed Thread Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page