New home automation closet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-05-2001, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My electrician just finished wiring my new home. As was recommended here in this forum, I have home runs from all rooms with 2 cat5e and 2 RG6 outlets (plus an empty comduit) to the central closet. Here's my question: The closet is just a bundle of wires now...how should it be "trimmed out" to make it look more like a "switchboard", if you know what I mean, so I can route stuff to different rooms when I want to? Is there some type of board(s) where all those wires should terminate?
Thanks
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-05-2001, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

There are lots of ways to trim out a wiring closet. The best way depends on the complexity of the wiring, how neat you want it to look, how much flexibility you want in wiring it, etc.

In my wiring closet behind the theater, I will have a half-dozen conduits coming in from various parts of the basement. Plus a bunch of loose wiring from other existing rough-ins. One option is to simply put up a big piece of plywood, then use tie-wraps or wire staples to bundle the wires logically and attach them. (I like the tie-wraps that have a screw head fitting - you screw them to the board where you want them, then pull the wires together and tighten the tie wrap down). You'll wind up with a look similar to the way your electrical panel and telephone service probably look now. If that's okay with you, there's nothing wrong with it.

If you want a more professional look, you can buy aluminum boxes to put your stuff in, and that's what I'm doing. For example, all the cable TV cables will be pulled together into a conduit in the ceiling, and the conduit will run down the wall and be screwed right into the metal service box. Inside that box will be the splitters, amplifiers, modulators, etc. The metal box is grounded. This prevents stray RFI from causing problems, gives good mechanical connections to everything, protects the wiring from damage, etc. You can do that with every box, and run conduit between the boxes for wiring components together. This is more expensive, and more work to install, but in the end it looks great. Since the room this is being added to is going to be a combination wiring closet/hobby room, I don't want any of that stuff exposed.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-06-2001, 05:05 AM

The way that it gets trimmed out depends on how you want to make use of those wires. In my house I have a setup very similar to what you have described.
The telephone and the data lines get punched down onto a 110 block and from there either to my phone system or my router. The 110 block gives a great amount of flexibility because only the station wires, or the ones running to the jacks, are permanently connected. The interconnects can be removed by just pulling on the wires.
For the coax I just have cable so they all run to a bank of splitters. The thing to remember here is that you want the smallest amount of dB drop as possible so don't skimp.
What I would recommend if you want to do what I have described call a network cabling company and ask how much it would be to terminate these lines.

-Mike
post #4 of 6 Old 08-06-2001, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

btberry- check out these links for ideas and information on how the wires are connected. You can do this your self with some knowledge and the right tools. Have fun! http://www.smarthome.com/distribution.html http://www.openhousesystem.com/products1.htm

I need a girl whos name does not end in .jpg
post #5 of 6 Old 08-20-2001, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Here's another link for you to learn from: http://www.hometech.com/

Max
post #6 of 6 Old 08-22-2001, 08:19 PM

Yup... many ways to go. Here's mine thus far:
http://ht.napurano.com/housewiring.html

And here's the latest pic . As you can see, I still have to finish the sattelite wiring (the empty area above the video modulator and cable mode/router.

------------------
Mike Napurano
My HT (updates!) | Dallas Home Theater Group (DHTG)

[This message has been edited by MikeN (edited 08-22-2001).]

Mike Napurano
Closed Thread Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page