Again, thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions.
I now have more information regarding the system to be installed.
The company doing the work is 'C&R Systems' (http://www.crsys.net
For the wiring, this is what I would get:
* All bedrooms have 2 RG-6 Coax & 2 Cat 5 wires in same location
* Family room media center also has 2 Coax & 2 Cat 5 wires
* Kitchen gets 1 Cat-5 wire
* 2 Coax wires run to the side of the house for cable & roadrunner service
* 2 Cat 5 wires run to the side of the house for phone & DSL
* Attic will be wired for satellite
The total cost of that is $1143. So, I would have:
* Multiple access points in home
* 5 gigahertz speed capability with combination of tecport wire
* LAN with category five wire
* 22db amplifier gain for coaxial cable
* Low noise filter - 5db
* Surge protection capability for lightning storms or power surges
* Phone system integration with simple interface
* Computer networking capability with 10 or 100 BaseT Ethernet hub
* "Cable modem ready" for high speed internet surfing
* Distribution of VCR, satellite, cable, DVD, laserdisc throughout the home
* Four lines of phone capability on each category 5 wire
Set up of the home theatre system (surround sound) will run around $1750 with speakers. Pre-wire alone is only $375.
They also provide central vacuum, intercom, zone audio systems, home monitoring, and security; priced separately.
The price seems reasonable to me, but again this is the first time I have looked into getting this done. As always, your comments are welcome.
[This message has been edited by AugustH (edited 08-05-2001).]