Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by mcascio
ccapolzzoli,

Take a read through the Cinemar Russound thread:
http://www.caseserve.com/cinemar/php...t=2390&start=0

It is very flexible and controllable from MainLobby.

You'll have IR pass through at each keypad. You can even assign commands to the actually buttons on the keypad. Such as triggering lights, complete lighting scenes, even adjust the thermostat if you want.

I'm pushing callerID to each keypad as well as it notifies me when someone is at the door. The system also announces callerID over specified zones.

Keypads require only cat5.
Mario,

I have an HAI Onmi system and a panasonic phone system currently. I would love to tie them all together and do what you are talking about and more.

The only problem I see, because I just looked at the installation of the system is that everything, including the speakers needs to be home run to the main controller. It is close to impossible to do that for me. If ther is a way I can bring a line level output from the Russound to where the amps are now, then that could work, except how do you control the turn on/off of the amps.

Make any sense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 203 Old 12-05-2004, 01:47 PM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If you have a two story house with an attic and crawl space, you should be able to run CAT5 cable yourself without too much hassle.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #93 of 203 Old 12-05-2004, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

I agree. I can run the CAT5 fine. As a matter of fact, when I built my house, I ran two two inch PVC pipes that tie the attic and basement together. I have already used it for additional HDTV wiring.

THe major problem is trying to get the in ceiling speak wires that are in the house now and bring them to where the main controller will be placed. Currently theyt are wires to an area int eh room where my soundstream amp is located. They are not homerun
post #94 of 203 Old 12-05-2004, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ccapozzoli
I agree Pablo. It should work better, but 10 years ago and not that much $$ to spend on it, this is what I have. I can't give you a link because there is NOTHING on the Internet that shows the system. Can you believe it!

This system is no longer! Gone see ya vamoose.

I was actually looking into the ELan VIA! system however it looks like today everything needs CAT5 and I was never ran when I build the house.

I will look into the Russound system. Maybe it can be reconfigured a little easier.

However the way the system was originally designed like this. The amp and the speaks are local to the room or Zone and then the control wiring goes back to the SN1 controller where there the source is choosen and it then plays in that zone.

If there is a system that can utilize that same design then I will switch in a heartbeat.
Look at Netstreams and Control4. They both can use the type of configuration you have. Also look at Zon by Oxmoor... Hope this helps. I think A-bus can use it too.

Pablo
post #95 of 203 Old 12-08-2004, 10:51 AM

I'm looking to do the same kind of setup as some of you mentioned. Would i be correct in assuming that with the airpanel and a home theater PC that connects to my reciever and mainlobby, that would be all i need? Basically want to use the airpanel as a remote to control everything
post #96 of 203 Old 12-08-2004, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by tom derby
I'm looking to do the same kind of setup as some of you mentioned. Would i be correct in assuming that with the airpanel and a home theater PC that connects to my reciever and mainlobby, that would be all i need? Basically want to use the airpanel as a remote to control everything
Tom, this is exactly my goal and the airpanel is on the was as we speak, however....

Your statement uses the words "basically" and "all";)

There is a number of hooks and peices that will be required to make this all come together, suffice to say that you will have to be up for the challange!

Al
post #97 of 203 Old 12-08-2004, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I'm not entirely sure I'm getting how your music server works. If I understand correctly it is IR controllable and will handle distribution to the individual rooms from the music server when switched.

If this is true a PC set up in the same location as the music server could control everything with an IR blaster. USB-UIRT works. You could put the wireless access point there also for easy wire routing. Given that a control system called CQC (www.charmedquark.com) can be set up to control it from an airpanel. If your music server can't control all your rooms from the server end CQC can still get you there but you'll have to run cables just like the Via Elan.

One thing to remember is airpanel connects through RDP which locks out console access on the PC. WinXP Pro will do fine as long as you don't want video out from the PC while connected to the airpanel. If you need both you'll have to look at something like thinsoft winxpconnect to run multiple terminal sessions.

I'm getting to the point where I'll be using CQC to run a system more like Tom Derby is describing. Pre/pro, projector, DVD player etc. The PC is primarily a controller with side duties as a HDTV tuner/recorder. Still have to spring for thinsoft, $$$, so I can do both at once. The main parts are controlled via serial cables which is far more robust then IR.

Les
post #98 of 203 Old 12-08-2004, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's not another PC in addition to the music server, it is just a remote display FOR the music server. The music server also runs the 'jukebox' software. I'm not using it for distribution purposes. I just want a single panel that will let me control the jukebox AND act as my universal remote for the theater. I just need it to be able to blast IR back out of the PC as a passthrough to a second 'eye' to the terminal block on the IR repeater and out to my lights and AV components.

Others in this thread are trying to do various other things with it. My initial requirements are pretty simple. No distribution (already have an RGBHV/SPDIF switcher), no HTPC (run an external scaler), no DVD player... you get the point.

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #99 of 203 Old 12-08-2004, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

bpape,
I'm not sure I do get your point. Which is the remote display for your music server, the airpanel or a PC? In anycase if you have a PC where you can get a usb cable out to your terminal block you can do this. USB-UIRT is a IR receiver/blaster that will work with CQC. There are others also. I use the UIRT so can say it works as advertised. CQC is easy to set up for IR control and has the benefit of being able to do anything you'd want in the future.

If you're planning on an airpanel the only concern would be that your music server display would run over RDP. It doesn't support video etc AFAIK. Regular text and graphics are ok fine.

Hope this helps and sorry if I'm being extra dense tonight.

Les
post #100 of 203 Old 12-09-2004, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't need something as advanced as CQC. The remote display would be the airpanel - acting as a remote touchscreen monitor for the music server.

GIK Acoustics

post #101 of 203 Old 12-10-2004, 08:45 AM

OK, then let me clarify what I want. I currently use a home theater pc as my dvd player and I use it to play MP3s and internet radio. It is used in a home theater with a projector. I would like to use the airpanel as a remote control for everything (reciever, cd, etc.) I thought i may be able to have a vga splitter so I can have the same thing on the airpanel as on the projecter. When I just want to listen to music, either mp3 or internet radio from my cpu, i wouldn't have to bother turning the projector on, i could just use the airpanel. I understand that I would need a usb to ir from my cpu and mainlobby, music lobby, dvd lobby. I don't mind the set up time as long as it would be fairly simple to set up. I spent a lot of time customizing my pronto tsu remote and I don't mind doing stuff like that but what else would I have to do or what else do i need. My home theater cpu run windows xp home edition.
post #102 of 203 Old 12-10-2004, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Tom, I use my HTPC to watch DVD's and play MP3's, haven't set up any internet radio yet, and if you have some tips on this maybe you pass them along.

I am running XP Pro on my HTPC (you'll need this for the airpanel), it too is connected to my projector via a DVI cable, the second output from the video card (VGA) in the HTPC currently goes to a 17" monitor.

I running an ATI 9000Pro, this card allows you to run both displays at the same time, or as you suggested you can leave the projector off and just use the VGA display, this way is the cleanest way to go IMHO, it is also way cool to drag something from the VGA (crt) display right onto the projector live and seamlessly!

Of course when I receive the airpanel I will be replacing the 17" CRT display with it and operating the HTPC from it.

Al
post #103 of 203 Old 12-10-2004, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Except that unless you hack XP, when you connect the airpanel via RDP, it disables the local PC display (your video card - BOTH outputs). It's panel OR PC monitor, not both simultaneously as I understand it.

GIK Acoustics

post #104 of 203 Old 12-10-2004, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

bpape is correct as far as he went. The only other option I know of to have more then one session, either airpanel or console, it with a software package by thinsoft called winconnect xp. It's rather pricey at $300.

Les
post #105 of 203 Old 12-10-2004, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tom derby
OK, then let me clarify what I want. I currently use a home theater pc as my dvd player and I use it to play MP3s and internet radio. It is used in a home theater with a projector. I would like to use the airpanel as a remote control for everything (reciever, cd, etc.) I thought i may be able to have a vga splitter so I can have the same thing on the airpanel as on the projecter. When I just want to listen to music, either mp3 or internet radio from my cpu, i wouldn't have to bother turning the projector on, i could just use the airpanel. I understand that I would need a usb to ir from my cpu and mainlobby, music lobby, dvd lobby. I don't mind the set up time as long as it would be fairly simple to set up. I spent a lot of time customizing my pronto tsu remote and I don't mind doing stuff like that but what else would I have to do or what else do i need. My home theater cpu run windows xp home edition.
OK, only the 15" airpanel has a vga input and when you connect it to the computer, the airpanel acts as a second monitor if you have a video card with 2 monitor capabilities. Otherwise you need a splitter like you said.

When you undock the airpanel, it connects wirelessly and as everyone said, unless you hack xp or use windows 2003 server or the thinsoft software, your main monitor goes back to the signon screen while you use the projector. With either of the three solutions outlined above, you need remote control software to make sure one session can control the other, specially with dvd playback software as you want your main screen to show the dvd overlay and the airpanel session to be the remote control.

Hope this helps

Pablo
post #106 of 203 Old 01-05-2005, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I have a 15" airpanel now with another on the way, I have been researching the problems associated with using one of these on my HTPC to control the software running there and still have the projector up and running with the DVD output visible on the PJ.

Well, there are 2 scenarios to consider, docked and undocked.

While docked there is no problem with the HTPC displays because the 15" is connected via the VGA pass through, it's just a monitor. The downside with this is the Nevo remote control appearently only functions when the airpanel is undocked, I will confirm this as soon as I have the Nevo software installed.

While undocked, you have the option to connect to the host PC or stay unconnected. When connected of course the PC's display (primary or secondary) reverts to a login screen which doesn't works well for your DVD viewing pleasure! :mad:

AFAIK if you were to start up the HTPC, get your DVD viewing software up and running in the PJ ( in my case with an ATI card, make the PJ the primary monitor), you can undock the airpanel and as long as you don't connect via RDC you won't affect the PJ/HTPC operations.

This may not appear as much of a solution, but for my setup, once the PowerDVD software is running I can control all of the software functions from the onscreen remote control viewable on the PJ image, and now with the airpanel undocked the Nevo software will function to control all of the other functions in the theatre such as lights and sound. :)

The last thing to consider if you really do need or want to work with the HTPC in the middle of all of this by connecting using the airpanel using RDC would be a minor adjustment (read: hack) of the XP Pro operating system. I have yet to try this but it has been reported to work and for those interested I can point you in the direction of the information that I found, but by running an older version of the termsrv.dll and modifying a registry entry to allow concurrent sessions, you can have up to 2 different sessions running on the HTPC at the same time, unfortunatly not in the same session, but 2 none the less.

FWIW, that's what I have come up with so far...

Al
post #107 of 203 Old 01-07-2005, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Al, wouldn't your set up run better if you had a 1st generation tablet PC which could function as a stand alone unit? I say 1st generation tablet PC because these are the ones that have a touch screen that will work with just finger control (the newer tablet PCs are stylus only :(). If your Airpanels every crap out (or you could simply resell them on E-bay), I would look at replacing them with something like a NETA 980, Simpad SL4, or SonicBlue Progear. They can be purchased for the same or just slightly higher price than the Airpanels and would give you much greater freedom.

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

PBX in a Flash user since 2012

post #108 of 203 Old 01-07-2005, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sic0048
Al, wouldn't your set up run better if you had a 1st generation tablet PC which could function as a stand alone unit? I say 1st generation tablet PC because these are the ones that have a touch screen that will work with just finger control (the newer tablet PCs are stylus only :(). If your Airpanels every crap out (or you could simply resell them on E-bay), I would look at replacing them with something like a NETA 980, Simpad SL4, or SonicBlue Progear. They can be purchased for the same or just slightly higher price than the Airpanels and would give you much greater freedom.
sic0048, Why didn't you say something before I hit enter on that last Ebay auction!!! ;)

I'll have to check out the units you mention above (if you have links, I'd like to see), the average price for a 10" or 15" airpanel from Ebay is $380 plus shipping. How do the units you mention compare?

As my lengthy post above points out, the airpanel is not the most complete solution, but it can be made to work, and either type, a Smart Display or Tablet PC causes the same grief when connecting in via RDC.

The advantage that I can see with a tablet PC is that it could use a process called shadowing to actually work within the same session that is running on the HTPC. I have seen however, where shadowing can cause a bit of a slowdown on the host PC if there is a great deal of data flowing back to the client in the form of screen updates.

The advantage with the airpanel smart display is the Nevo remote control software, which from all accounts that I have seen should combine all of the remotes that I currently have into one "super touch screen" remote. :D

So from I see, some pros, some cons. But as my stated interest has always been " I like to figure things out" please tell me more about the units you suggest, I am never too committed that I won't consider other options!

Al

Al
post #109 of 203 Old 01-07-2005, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Al,

I think that you are missing the point on the Airpanel. While it can act as a second monitor while docked, the real power comes when it is undocked and you sign on on a separate session to the computer. You can make the airpanel session communicate with the desktop session for remote control capabilities sitting on the couch and not displaying messing with any remote control stuff on your main display. You can use software like NEVO if you have direct line of sight with your equipment or Mainlobby, CQC, Meedio etc and communicate back to the HTPC via 802.11.

BTW, what you have is much better than any progear or other outdated web tablets... dont give up yet.

hope this helps

Pablo
post #110 of 203 Old 01-07-2005, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Pablo, I might have scared you with that last post, I am firmly commited to making the airpanels work within my Home Theatre - HTPC system. When I mentioned "other options" what I should have said was, undestanding of the other systems work might give me ideas how to better set-up and incorporate the airpanels.

As you mentioned, I also think that the coolest thing about the airpanel is the RDC aspect, I have a laptop with a wireless NIC, and the airpanel is better and way more portable!

I was however hoping at the beginning that the airpanel could connect to the existing session on the HTPC and still act as the remote control. I understand more about the product now and how I need to change my plan slightly. I'm not too sure what you meant when you said this:
Quote:
You can make the airpanel session communicate with the desktop session for remote control capabilities sitting on the couch and not displaying messing with any remote control stuff on your main display.
I am actually going to take some time tomorrow and re-read this entire thread, you know, see what I may have missed! ;)

Thanks again for your input!

Al
post #111 of 203 Old 01-08-2005, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Al,

glad to hear that you like the airpanel...

When you have the abilitiy to have multiple sessions running with the hack or any of the other means mentioned, you basically have a client/server system. It all runs on one machine (client and server), but it is a client/server system. If you consider that you have your server waiting to be told to do something (start windvd, play movie, change volume) on your main monitor session and the other session (client) from the airpanel is telling the server what to do. The simplest way of doing it (ok, may be not so simple :-) ) is to have girder running on the server session, and the remote girder client running on the client session. Girder client can tell girder server the commands to execute. CQC and Mainlobby dont rely on girder to do this as they have their own client/server schemes, but the concept is the same, a session (client) tells another session (server) what commands to execute. You can have 2-way interaction where the server tells the client the status of your equipment or chapter of the movie it is playing. girder uses tcp/ip under the covers as CQC and mainlobby I believe.

Like you said, the fun is just starting...

Pablo
post #112 of 203 Old 01-08-2005, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I can't say much about MainLobby as it seemed mostly a front end for a HTPC with some automation getting added in. I can say that CQC will function happily in this environment with an airpanel connecting to a multi-user session of XPPro or from a separate computer networked in the system. It was designed from the ground up this way with the front end GUI stuff being added to a backend cabable of running your house.

Currently the HTPC app control drivers are a little scarse but growing. I think most of the popular stuff is there. Theatertek is and I think WinDVD. There are others that I don't recall and more coming.

The attraction for me was slapping a serial card in my machine and controlling my existing theater hardware. PrePro, DVD player, projector amps etc. Also the front end is very flexible so you can create about anything you want.

I run this with airpanel or from either of the 2 pc's in my network. Your wireless laptop would work fine to and without disturbing the output of your HTPC.

One other option for getting multi-user sessions going is thinsoft winconnect XP though it is pricey. Something to keep in mind since I won't be surprised if MS renders the XP Pro "mod" useless some time in the future.

Glad you like the airpanel. I like the instant on, dead quiet and portable parts a lot. Most tablets are heavier, noisier and have active touchscreens requiring a stylus. I find the win ce OS a little squirrely though. Seems more like a late beta then a finished product. Looks like viewsonic is still developing product but of course the OS image for the v210 won't work for the v110 :(

Les
post #113 of 203 Old 01-10-2005, 04:29 PM

With all the enthousiastic messages about the ViewSonic Airpanels I bought a V150 myself. I however am struggling to get the Airpanel to login on the Windows XP professional computer. I followed the very short instructions which were supplied with the Airpanel. It seems that the Airpanel is working (I can see the wireless network and connect to it) and I can also add users via the supplied USB cable but if I want to test the connection (part of the software installation via the PC) this test fails. Installing it manual on the PC and AirPanel doesn't help either. I tried with a WEP key (not 802.1x) and without a wepkey.
The Windows XP computer has service pack 2 on it and is running the Dutch XP version. The Airpanel is running an English version.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,

Ronald
post #114 of 203 Old 01-10-2005, 05:27 PM

Ronaldvr,

I also recently bought a 15" airpanel. I installed the Airpanel users manually. Have a user set up on the XPPro host, then set that user up on the Airpanel. You need to set your wireless SSID on the Airpanel user....one thing that I discovered is that my WAP has to be broadcasting the SSID. I could not get it to connect without broadcasting the SSID (I really would prefer not broadcasting it)

Also I had to enable the RDP capability in XP Pro (under networking properties as I recall)

Fred
post #115 of 203 Old 01-11-2005, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Ronald, the process that Fred describes should work, you must do all of the processes, and make all of the physical connections as layed out in the quickstart guide.

Now assuming that you have done this, you have a few other things to check:

1) RDC enabled
2) port 3389 open for TCP
3) The XP firewall set to allow remote connections

Also as Fred mentioned, you do need a WEP key enabled, installed and matching on both the XP Pro PC and the airpanel. The SSID must match as well.

If these settings don't allow you to connect, definitely run the "Connection Trouble shooter" that should now be in the start menu if you followed all of the installation instructions. It will check the 3 areas where problems can arise. If it fails, there will be a log file link in blue near the bottom of the page which contains important clues to any problems. Cut an past it here and we can take this a little further.

Fred, what bothers you about broadcasting a SSID?

Al
post #116 of 203 Old 01-11-2005, 09:50 AM

From a security stand point not broadcasting the SSID is "Safer" than broadcasting it. If your clients know the SSID you usually can avoid broadcasting. I was not able to get the Airpanel to work without broadcating the SSID. Also WEP key is not required for the Airpanel to work, but most feel safer with WEP.

Fred
post #117 of 203 Old 01-11-2005, 12:09 PM

i have the Viewsonic Airpanel V150 and i would just like to ask the users here if this wireless monitor loses its charge even if it is off? if so, how long? this is rather inconvenient because you have to remember to dock the panel when not in use. i believe this is not the case and my battery must be broken. moreover, the battery meter shows a full bar but says 0%.
on a useability perspective, how do you guys deal with the mandatory log-on? it's also inconvenient to log on every time you turn on the panel, especially since there is no built-in keyboard.
post #118 of 203 Old 01-11-2005, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I think it will slowly discharge even if off. Not sure that it actually turns off fully. I've noticed the charging light start flashing occasionally even when docked.

If you don't like logging on look under "edit" in the log on name box. You should have option of either logging on automatically when turned on or have the password automatically entered.

Les
post #119 of 203 Old 01-11-2005, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

i had a problem with one of my airpanels that would not charge and always showed 0%. It was not the battery as swapping it out made no difference. They ended up replacing the unit. It would not charge the battery at all. The unit undocked and turned off should hold a charge for a while, even a few days at least...
post #120 of 203 Old 01-13-2005, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PabloReiter
The unit undocked and turned off should hold a charge for a while, even a few days at least...
I thought it was supposed to be this way. i mean, laptops do not lose charge even if they're not plugged in. Looks like I may have a defective unit or battery... when off, does the unit's wireless features still work, potentially draining some of the battery?
Pablo, my unit shows 0% but the bar is full. also, i can use the monitor 2-3 hours straight. so this means that the battery is charged... did Viewsonic replace your unit or was it the store you bought it from? thanks.
Closed Thread Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page