Outdoor Security Cameras - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 101 Old 03-18-2005, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have any opinions or advice on inexpensive home security cameras ... primarily just for outdoor use right now.

I am wanting to have 4 cameras, all under a 12" eve on the second floor of my new home.

I am thinking about hooking up the 4 cameras and then running them into a quad tiler (which is expandable up to 8 cameras) and is I/R controllable. I would then modulate the quad tiler output into my avcast system as a new channel. I would be able to use the quad tiler I/R remote control using the avcast system from any TV in the house.

Under that system, and trying to keep things fairly inexpensive -- I have the following initial system proposal:

(4) Clover C-3320EX color weather resistant bullet cameras
- uses the Sony 1/3" EX-VIEW CCD
- 0.05 Lux usable
- Color
- very small - 2 3/5"W x 9/10"H x 9/10"D
- comes with RCA connections
(1) JWIN 8ch Color Quad Splitter model JV-TV5020
- 4 to 8 cameras
- color
- several PIP options
- I/R controllable, w/remote
- uses BNC connections -- maybe I would use RCA to BNC converters?

Another system I have considered would be as follows:
4 greyfox B/W cameras, use the 4 way tiler -- All connected using CAT5

Another system I have considered would be just 4 camodulators, like onQ or Netmedia.

I have also seen a lot of KT & C (KT&C) cameras online -- and their specs are very good (many models also use the EX-VIEW CCD) -- does anyone have good or bad experiences with the KT&C stuff? I would consider any good alternative to the Clover cameras. Does anyone have experience with this higher end Clover camera?

Thanks in advance.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 101 Old 03-18-2005, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

One more thing -- my wiring to each location will consist of a CAT5e and a RG6 to each location. I'm don't think my wiring guy is including a 18/2 to each location, but I could always ask, since he is getting $5000 of business from me on this job.
post #3 of 101 Old 03-18-2005, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bunkers
One more thing -- my wiring to each location will consist of a CAT5e and a RG6 to each location. I'm don't think my wiring guy is including a 18/2 to each location, but I could always ask, since he is getting $5000 of business from me on this job.
If you use a baseband type camera (RG59/RG6) and need 18/2 for low voltage DC power you could use your cat5e cable in a pinch. Four of the eight conductors of the cat5 twisted together would be roughly equivalent to one 18awg conductor. So, the cat5 could provide you with an equivalent 18/2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 101 Old 03-18-2005, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that good advice for using cat5.

I am thinking that since these cameras should all be attic accessible locations, that maybe I could just add a 12v Power Distribution Box (for up to 9 cameras) in the attic, then run my own 18/2 to the four locations in the attic on my own. Then I would have the cat5 and rg6 left for audio and video and a lot of choices.

If I buy a camera like the Clover, which comes with RCA connectors, how do I convert that cable connectionto use my RG6? Would I have to use a balun or is there an easier way?

Along the same lines, if I buy a camera which uses BNC connectors, how to I go from BNC to RG6?

Using a single RG6 -- or I could use the Cat5E also.

Help to clarify my worries would be much appreciated.

Thx,
Scott
post #5 of 101 Old 03-18-2005, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am thinking that since these cameras should all be attic accessible locations, that maybe I could just add a 12v Power Distribution Box (for up to 9 cameras) in the attic, then run my own 18/2 to the four locations in the attic on my own. Then I would have the cat5 and rg6 left for audio and video and a lot of choices.

Sounds like a good plan

If I buy a camera like the Clover, which comes with RCA connectors, how do I convert that cable connectionto use my RG6? Would I have to use a balun or is there an easier way?

A couple of options. You could use a channel modulator to convert the RCA composite video to a modulated signal and send that along a single RG6 down to your CATV distribution to be joined with your other CATV signals. That would also be preferable if this model has audio on RCA that you need to get to your distribution point as well.

You could also use a F-TYPE to RCA adapter or crimpon RCA connections and send the composite down to your distribution center. If you have video and audio, then you would need two RG6's per. The only issue here is that the low level composite signal may be more susceptible to noise.

Since you are using a QUAD multiplexer, you might consider locating this in the attic too...Bring your four RCA signals into it, and then the one output down to your distribution for modulation. Or you could even modulate it in the attic and send the more noise impervious modulated signal down to your CATV combining point. Depends on how comfortable and accessible your attic access is and whether you want to locate equipment there.

Along the same lines, if I buy a camera which uses BNC connectors, how to I go from BNC to RG6?

BNC to F-Type connectors or crimp BNC straight to the Coax.

post #6 of 101 Old 03-18-2005, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the excellent response. Super helpful information and analysis.

I already have an extra avcast mediacaster (RG6 modulator, which takes RCA inputs and a single RG6 NET output) -- so I could do as you said and just run the cameras into the QUAD and then take the output from the QUAD into the avcast and then use a single RG6 to the basement with that modulated signal (into my Avcast hub/cablecaster). That also gives me the side benefit of being able to hook the IR emitter up to the QUAD in the attic and that gives me control of the QUAD IR from any tv in the house.

So I am just wondering if these EX-VIEW CCD cameras are any good. How reliable and/or useful is the Lux ratings? These seem to be very low lux compared to others I have looked at, and esp. for a color camera.
post #7 of 101 Old 03-19-2005, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

oops, just when I think the solution is going to be easy, I realize that two of my four locations are NOT attic accessible. NOw I remember why I was looking at the CAT5 and camodulator type solutions.

Now If I understood how the cameras and baluns worked better, I might be able to do something there as well ... anyone have specific experience using a single cat5 or rg6 with baluns ... or I am thinking rg6 w/baluns and maybe cat5 for power?
post #8 of 101 Old 03-19-2005, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Are you set on the cameras you selected? Why not just use a Cat5 type camera that has the power, video, audio, etc. all built in one. Many on this board have used the Core Technology Multicam/Poolcam with good success. It has the same 420 lines of resolution, IR illumination (albeit short range), Power, Video, Motion and Audio built into one cable that can easily be replaced with a cat5 cable. At the end is a breakout box that converts the signal to RCA video, Mono Audio, and a Motion alarm. Oh, and it is weatherproof too.

You should be able to find other examples that use the same type setup. I've used some from Radio Shack and Lorex that had color too, but the video quality wasn't near the Poolcam.

post #9 of 101 Old 03-19-2005, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

No, I'm not at all set on any specific cameras. I just want something that is of decent quality for security monitoring. One of my cameras is going to be used to see whos is at the front door, but also to see the front yard and driveway to a lesser extent. I'll check out the poolcam -- I have heard of it mentioned, but you know you hear a mention of each of these cameras once or twice, but there isn't much to help you make a decision. Any advice on a decent quad tiler?
post #10 of 101 Old 03-20-2005, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The Core Technology Multicam is a great B/W camera for a very reasonable price. But it is B/W.

You may want the cameras that are Color by day and change to B/W at night with IR.

JOE
post #11 of 101 Old 03-20-2005, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Here are some AM snapshots of both the multicore pool cams and the color by day and IR B/W at night cams. It is raining here but the pics still look ok.
I dont think the color cameras are as good at night as the B/W cameras even though they change to IR B/W

http://joemich.com/driveway.BMP
http://joemich.com/frontdr.BMP
http://joemich.com/br2.BMP
http://joemich.com/garage.BMP

JOE
post #12 of 101 Old 03-20-2005, 07:38 AM

Where can you purchase these Core Technology cams?

Some people just need their own planet!
post #13 of 101 Old 03-20-2005, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Ebay or water warehouse are the cheapest I've seen them... Look for POOLCAMs.

post #14 of 101 Old 03-20-2005, 01:21 PM
AJF
Advanced Member

I have a secret to share about the Core Technology Multicam . They also make cameras for a company called Xanboo . Xanboo is a company that sells the color camera very cheap (usually $50 for the color camera ) because they expect that you'll sign up for their internet monitoring service with monthly fee of course . But the camera will work without using Xanboo's service . The camera has a built in motion sensor and microphone . There is a 4 camera sequencer which can signal a VCR to record whenever any of the cameras detect motion . The picture is pretty good but doesn't work well in low light .

I use them now but will soon upgrade to a stand alone DVR system .
post #15 of 101 Old 03-20-2005, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I've seen Xanboo, but never bothered because of the sign up deal.

How exactly do you get the color ones without signing up?

Robert

post #16 of 101 Old 03-20-2005, 05:02 PM

Not to hi-jack, but Ive had to order 2 new Poolcams (Core multicams) to replace 2 that crapped out. I don't know why, but here's the deal: One camera, at night, has IR problems. When you view it in the dark, its like it cycles on and off. The picture comes up, brightens, then goes dark, and repeats. Like a macabre horror film (Psycho). This could be because it gets hit with massive sunlight in the morning.

The other one, my only color one, just went dead (audio works). I may have wired this one wrong, but it worked for a while.

Regardless, for the price, Cat5 ability, IR feature, and motion detect, these are awesome ($99 bucks ea. from PoolWarehouse - always in stock and fast shipping). You cannot beat the cat5 wirability feature (thanks to robertmee & cmcjoe)
post #17 of 101 Old 03-20-2005, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

My cameras have been going for a couple of years. I do have one though that seems to move for no reason. This causes the DVR to record the motion. So I had to disable this camera from recording on motion.

JOE
post #18 of 101 Old 03-20-2005, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

One of my concerns with this system is that it almost sounds too good to be true. Thanks for all the excellent tips and information.

I found a xanboo pkg online with two of these cameras and the switcher for like $108 and no apparent committment. Almost makes me want to order tonight.

They also sold the cameras in white (ivory), which I would definately prefer, since black just wouldn't look good on my new home and below my white trim.
They say its .1 lux which seems quite good.

Are these cameras easily adjustable in terms of angle, etc? They appear as though they might not be easilt adjustable. What is the viewing angle of the lens? Is it 90 degrees or what?

They connect using a single cat5, correct? Then where is power module located and does each camera need its own power module?
post #19 of 101 Old 03-20-2005, 06:25 PM
AJF
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by robertmee
Yeah, I've seen Xanboo, but never bothered because of the sign up deal.

How exactly do you get the color ones without signing up?

Robert
You don't have to sign up until you log on to their website .
The kit comes with a hub/cpu that you connect the cameras to and that is connected to a computer/internet connection . You just don't use the hub . You hook the cameras up to their 4 camera sequencer :

http://www.smarthomeusa.com/ShopByMa...oo/Item/AS040/

The sequencer that I have also sends an IR signal to a VCR to tell it to record whenever any of the cameras detect motion . It may be discontinued now but it is the VCO50 Video Commander. There's also a breakout box if you want to use just 1 camera because the cameras use a mini-din connector . Basically I believe that any of the Core accessories will work with the Xanboo stuff and visa versa .

They're very adjustable and I think they use a 3.8mm lens which is fairly wide-angle . I've been using them for about 5 years without a problem .
post #20 of 101 Old 03-21-2005, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

It appears that the xanboo white cameras are intended for indoor use and the black for outdoor (UV ABS vs. regular ABS plastic). On the ordering sites I can't seem to specify which color.

I guess the color should really be a secondary consideration, since I could always paint if needed.

I am really seriously thinking about getting two of the CC576EC camera and CB102 talk back switcher kits. Well, 2 kits for a total of 4 cameras and 2 switchers. I would probably then also need to opt for 4 of the either cable kits, to use my cat5E wires. Total cost around 300 ... seems excellent.

The talk back CB102 switcher seems to have either manual or auto mode. I am guessing the auto mode either switches to the active (based on motion) camera or just switches back and forth every (n) seconds. Any experience here folks? The reason for this vs. the 4 way switcher is based on cost only. This kit is the better deal.

I could then modulate each of the 2 talk back switchers into its own avcast channel. So I might do front of the house on one channel and back of the house on another channel.
post #21 of 101 Old 03-21-2005, 05:21 AM
AJF
Advanced Member

I hooked all of my cameras up to the sequencer and then ran the output to a VCR . A VCR has a built in modulator ( channel 3 or 4 ) so I didn't need to buy a modulator . I ran the RF out from the VCR to the antenna input of my satellite receivers so I can view thw picture on any TV in the house .
The sequencer I have is fairly flexible, especially for the price . You can have it cycle thru each camera with a user adjustable dwell time, or you can have a master camera that it stays on . In any case it will always switch to and record the camera the detects motion .

I'm not familiar with the model cameras and switcher you mentioned though . Also, the cameras/switcher that I have use mini-din connectors , so you may need to check whether you can use Cat5. In any case, it's the least expensive system I've ever come across .
post #22 of 101 Old 03-21-2005, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AJF
I hooked all of my cameras up to the sequencer and then ran the output to a VCR . A VCR has a built in modulator ( channel 3 or 4 ) so I didn't need to buy a modulator . I ran the RF out from the VCR to the antenna input of my satellite receivers so I can view thw picture on any TV in the house .
The sequencer I have is fairly flexible, especially for the price . You can have it cycle thru each camera with a user adjustable dwell time, or you can have a master camera that it stays on . In any case it will always switch to and record the camera the detects motion .

I'm not familiar with the model cameras and switcher you mentioned though . Also, the cameras/switcher that I have use mini-din connectors , so you may need to check whether you can use Cat5. In any case, it's the least expensive system I've ever come across .
The mini-din on the core cameras is just a connector. All you need to do is cut the cable at the headend, preserving the din connector and splice it onto your cat5 cable. The provided 60' cable is just a 6 conductor cable with an RJ14 connector on one end. If you have the cable in hand during construction, you can cut the other end off (The RJ14) and fish it to your camera location, preserving the mini din connector. If you look at my structured wiring link and scroll to the third panel, you'll see where I cut the provided cable and spliced it into my cat5. The cut creates a short pigtail with the mini-din that you then connect to your breakout box or Video commander if you go that route.

post #23 of 101 Old 03-21-2005, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for all the interesting and useful information.

I don't think I'll be able to run any cable on my own without getting in trouble with the builder. I'm trying to stay out of trouble as much as possible ... if I was custom building, I could easily have more freedom since I'd me be more of "the boss".

robertmee, so in your structuied wiring pictures, it appears that you ran the cat5 wires onto a connection block in your wiring cabinet and then just connected the wires from the mini DIN half of the included cable to that block -- correct?

I was thinking I would need the adaptor cables just to keep it cleaner and cross connect to eithernet -- but it looks like that is not really necessary -- since were just talking about connecting same colored wires on either side and using the cat5 as the distance wiring, right?

I might buy the 4 channel switcher instead, since its only like $40 and I could connect everything to one switcher instead of two. I only loose the ability to use the audio on the cameras, which I would be using anyways, since the switchers would either be in the attic or the basement wiring panel.

I have just noticed the pricing is very bizzare, since individual items often cost almost the same as a package with 2 or 3 items in it. Clearance pricing, it appears.

Would you advise buying additional cameras and/or equipment up front, since this company appears to be going under and maybe these parts won't be available much longer?

Is there any compelling reason to go color over b/w ? I think the b/w would be better in low lighting conditions, right?

Had anyone here used the cameras with the audio (speakers) on them? They have motion, IR and audio on them. They are classified as the "high res" cameras.

I think I just need to buy this stuff and stop driving myself nuts!
post #24 of 101 Old 03-21-2005, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
robertmee, so in your structuied wiring pictures, it appears that you ran the cat5 wires onto a connection block in your wiring cabinet and then just connected the wires from the mini DIN half of the included cable to that block -- correct?

Exactly

I was thinking I would need the adaptor cables just to keep it cleaner and cross connect to eithernet -- but it looks like that is not really necessary -- since were just talking about connecting same colored wires on either side and using the cat5 as the distance wiring, right?

Again correct. You can open up the housing of the camera very easily, and inside is a small printed circuit board with both an RJ14 jack and terminals for your connection choice. Just pick a color standard to use with your Cat5 and connect both ends the same. You can wire directly into the terminal or if you have a phone crimper, crimp on a RJ14 male end.

I might buy the 4 channel switcher instead, since its only like $40 and I could connect everything to one switcher instead of two. I only loose the ability to use the audio on the cameras, which I would be using anyways, since the switchers would either be in the attic or the basement wiring panel.

The video commander VC050 does include audio. Here's a link to the manual on smarthome:

http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/7603vcr.pdf

I see that smarthome is selling both the black and white ones, although at a little higher price. They have them for auction at $70/ea too.

I have just noticed the pricing is very bizzare, since individual items often cost almost the same as a package with 2 or 3 items in it. Clearance pricing, it appears.

That's the internet for you.

Would you advise buying additional cameras and/or equipment up front, since this company appears to be going under and maybe these parts won't be available much longer?

This company has been around awhile, and for whatever reason is always difficult to find good information on. I wouldn't worry too much about going out of business in next few months. You might be advised to buy just one camera, hook it up to your TV and see how you like it. That's what I did before I made the plunge.

Is there any compelling reason to go color over b/w ? I think the b/w would be better in low lighting conditions, right?

Usually the B&W seem to do better in low lighting conditions. I tried a couple of color cameras (one for the baby room), and I don't see too much gained over B&W, especially considering the price difference.

Had anyone here used the cameras with the audio (speakers) on them? They have motion, IR and audio on them. They are classified as the "high res" cameras.

The ones everyone are using are the 420lines w/ audio. Don't know what site you are referring too that calls them 'high res'.

I think I just need to buy this stuff and stop driving myself nuts!
Nothing wrong with being complete in your investigation. But at some point, you'll drive yourself crazy with 'what if's'. Hence my suggestion to purchase one and try it out yourself. You can always resell it on e-bay.

post #25 of 101 Old 03-21-2005, 03:47 PM
AJF
Advanced Member

The cables for mine have mini dins on both ends . Yes you can use the Cat5 as Robertmee suggested , I just wasn't sure how "hands-on" a guy you are . The switcher manual shows the pin-outs and what each one is used for
post #26 of 101 Old 03-22-2005, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AJF
The cables for mine have mini dins on both ends .
Are you using the color version? That might be the difference.

If so, how does the color look?

Robert

post #27 of 101 Old 03-22-2005, 06:13 PM
AJF
Advanced Member

Yes color . I started with a B&W camera but my wife said watching the kids playing in the yard in B&W made them look like criminals on a suveillance tape . :-) We were much happier with the color picture .

The color cams are pretty good in daylight but not great at night; you can see what's going on but the picture is grainy and has a lot of video noise .
post #28 of 101 Old 03-25-2005, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

AJF, where can you get the xanboo cams for $50.00 each? Link?
post #29 of 101 Old 03-25-2005, 05:25 PM
AJF
Advanced Member

Here's a 2 camera system for $78 .

http://www.smarthomeusa.com/Shop/Pho...tem/CB102-02B/
post #30 of 101 Old 03-25-2005, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Ah. thanks AJF. I was hoping for the cams with color/BW and IR capability like the CC408NPC. I guess those are going to be a bit more though. I see where the RDI China site (makers of the xanboo and core multi cams) breaks out three different part numbers for the color, BW and color/BW cams. I only see either a color or BW listed for xanboo. Does the color one revert to BW at night?
Closed Thread Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page