Control4 FAQ, tips & tricks - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1429 Old 08-10-2005, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is the latest version of the Director Software? On my system composer is at 1.1.2 and Director is at 1.1.1.17. Is there supposed to be an update for director?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1429 Old 08-10-2005, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirill
I am sooooo bad at waiting .... Sony going to really 995 in next couple of weeks - consumer model - no RS232 and around November they should have 777 replacement - RS232 + HDMI + improved video processing.

Thanks Kirill, for clarifying. I took the quote as 777 replacement "minus" RS232 "plus" the other stuff. Guess I can sit back and wait to see what it will bring then. Thanks.

...now back to the originally scheduled program.... Control4
post #273 of 1429 Old 08-10-2005, 10:32 AM

I received my HTC today and I am in the process of getting it all hooked up. However I do have a few questions - I can't seem to make the IR flashers work correctly. They seem to be executing IR commands correctly but the devices do not respond at all, anyboby got any ideas what i'm doing wrong? the online data base had drivers for all of my equipment so i thought I was good to go. Any thoughts?
post #274 of 1429 Old 08-10-2005, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stash View Post

What is the latest version of the Director Software? On my system composer is at 1.1.2 and Director is at 1.1.1.17. Is there supposed to be an update for director?

My Director and Digial Audio are both 1.1.2.2. You should update Director from Composer.
post #275 of 1429 Old 08-10-2005, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

N.REED,
Welcome to the club. Is this your first Control4 piece? My HTC should hopefully be on the porch when I get home. I haven't decided if I'm going to use the HTC to control my theater setup or just use it as a music point and an extra remote. I'm very fond of my Harmony, and just ordered the 880, so I'll compare and see which sets up better. But I think my wife will have an easier time with the Harmony.
post #276 of 1429 Old 08-10-2005, 06:12 PM

Hey Guys and Gals!,

I just wanted to share my experience and hopefully get and give some information. I purchased my home about two months ago and have been remolding ever since. Luckily the Control4 products hit the stores around the time of my house closing. Below I will describe each room/idea and have uploaded pictures. At the end of this I have a few questions and am looking for suggestions.

Family Room / Home Theatre

Basically the family room and living room were tied together through a large breeze way; I closed the wall in and built an entertainment center on the family room side (see pics). Now for the fun stuff! In the entertainment center I am installing two Middle Atlantic pull out racks one on each side. Behind each rack there's a 4 plug outlet, 4 cat5 and 2 coax to distribution. Behind the TV is the same configuration. The entire entertainment center runs on a dedicated 20amp breaker. I am going to use speaker craft in wall fronts for left and right and a standard center channel above the TV. From one side of the entertainment center I pulled 2 speaker cables to the on wall rears and two coax for sub in the corner of the room. I also pulled four speaker cables to the outside of the house one set on the left side and one set to the right (L shaped house). I plan to connect these speakers to two speaker points I have purchased, they will be sitting in the MA racks. My control4 controller will also be in the MA rack. All switches in the house are being replaced with control4 switches. I have about 10 currently but none of them are setup on the controller (still in construction).

AV Rack ventilation inside entertainment center
I setup a vent on each side of the entertainment center that will allow cold air in from the side and push warm air out the top. I have two 12V 120mm fans in each rack controlled by a thermostat. I will put up pictures of these once installed if people are interested. The exhaust vent will end at the top of the entertainment center I haven't decided to go into the attic yet.

Cable breakdown
Right rack
4 cat5 to distribution panel in the garage
2 coax to distribution panel in the garage
4 speaker cables front right and left and rear right and left
2 coax to corner for sub
2 speaker cables for outdoor right side of house

Left rack
2 speaker cables for outdoor left side of house

Behind TV

Some of the pictures have spots that's from the sanding of the sheetrock sorry..

PICS!
http://gallery.avsforum.com/showphot...ppuser/7496802

Master Bedroom Plasma

In the master bedroom there was a small closet at the end of the room. I knocked it down and extended it to 4 feet deep. This gives allows for a his and hers closet each at 4'X6'. I also setup a sunken area for my plasma. I will be installing in wall speakers next to the plasma. The components will be in the closet except for the DVD player which will be in the corner of the bedroom. I pulled 5 rg6 and two cat5 to the closet behind the panel location. I planned on using the cat5 for IR and the 5 coax for component and line level audio. I did not do surround in the bedroom thought it was overkill, but just in case I want to do it later I pulled two speaker cables from the closet to the corner . Thinking about it I should have pulled a third for 7-1 ahhhh.. I also installed an IR receiver below the plasma I didn't get the $200 one that was rated for plasma if the one I got doesn't work I can get it later. I purchased an IR distribution so I could point the remote at the TV and control the DVD in the corner and all components in the closet. I have a question about a better way utilizing control4 will ask at the end.

Cable breakdown
Behind Plasma
5 coax to corner of the room for DVD
2 cat5 to corner of the room for IR/whatever
2 Speaker cables to corner of the room for surround if wanted later
2 Speaker cables to the left and right of the plasma for inwall speakers
2 coax to the rear of control4 touch panel in the master bedroom

Corner of room
5 coax to closet
2 cat5 to closet
2 Speaker cables to closet
Pictures! More to come

Garage distribution panel

I wanted something big enough to fit my switch, router and whatever av switcher I went with. I selected a Middle Atlantic rotate able wall mount rack. It turned out bigger than I expected but I like it. All runs in the house terminate here except for the coax behind the touch panels and a few other drops. I plan to get a POE switch for the touch panels and VOIP phones the phones will be later after I get some more cash flow. BTW the conduits are 2 and I added a third because the two are maxed out. I thought two would be more than enough I was wrong the totals worked out to be 46 cat5 drops and 22 coax drops.

Pictures

Control 4 hardware
Controller
2 speaker points
2 touch panels
10 switches
2 6 button keypads for lighting scenes and whatever I come up with.
4 2 button keypads for three way switches

Questions:

IR
I don't have a clear understanding how the control4 IR distribution is going to work. I am assuming I will run from the IR out to a room I want to control and tell the control4 controller the IR blaster is the master bedroom for example. I also want the ability to use a regular remote control. That's why I put the IR receiver below the plasma. I am assuming I can do both. Can I connect the IR out of the control four to one of my Ethernet ports and patch it to the bedroom? Anyone have any suggestion on how to do this?

VIDEO/Audio Distribution
I read in an early post the recommendation to use the KNOX RS8X8HB I am about to purchase it but I am wondering how I will get the audio to each room. Should I use baluns for the audio? I only have two coax to the bedrooms I would like to be able to view the control4 gui, myth tv and I am going to have cameras I would like to see from any room with audio. One coax will be used for standard cable the other I could use for video distribution. Would channel modulation be a better route? One room will only have a tv. I am thinking channel modulation would be good for this room. How will channel modulation work with digital cable? Would it even work?

Control4 GUI
If I distribute the control4 GUI to multiple rooms, from the remote control how can I let the control4 controller know I would like to control the main gui?

Thanks for the help,

I will update you as it progresses

Sean
post #277 of 1429 Old 08-11-2005, 12:24 AM

Dont distribute the output (gui) from one controller, its a mistake, its not designed for this.

Self-employed and un-employed are pretty much the same thing except the government helps the un-employed.
post #278 of 1429 Old 08-11-2005, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I received my Home Theater Controller yesterday and got it hooked up today. First, this thing is small. I was expecting a big component, but this thing is about the size of an external hard drive. Which is neat, since pairing it with an external hard drive will get you one hell of a Fireball killer. You can actually do a ton with this thing. In retrospect, I bet I could have just gotten the HTC + hard drive and saved some money instead of getting the Media Controller. I get one more analog output on the MC and more contacts/relays, etc...but I don't think I'm going to end up using those much.

Anyhow, right now I'm pretty much just using the HTC as a music point to have an extra zone of music. You get a remote with it, plus another on screen display in that room, so it's quite a bargain just as a music point. I have it connected to a vcr input on my theater receiver. I can also connect the tuner from the receiver to the HTC and have another source for the house. I'll probably end up connecting my cable box for the digital music channels.
post #279 of 1429 Old 08-11-2005, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

jacksonian, does the HTC have a fan? Is the HTC essentially a custom linux box with all the connectors like the MC or different?

The only thing I don't like about the MC is that it does have a fan, which is very noticeable.

I half-wonder if I should've gotten the HTC instead of the MC. All my music would be on a fileserver in the garage, mounted over the network. Ah well.
post #280 of 1429 Old 08-11-2005, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sean,

I think you could use Serial/IR extender (http://control4.com/cp/35-C1F2B324/index.htm) to control equipment that is in a different place than your MC / HTC is. I don't understand why you're trying to distribute IR, actually. It duplicates functionality to what C4 architecture provides.

Look at these diagrams on how to distribute audio. You can wired or wireless, or a combination of the two. http://www.control4.com/documents/technotes/0004-04.htm, http://www.control4.com/documents/technotes/0005-04.htm.

Max
post #281 of 1429 Old 08-11-2005, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Max,
I don't *think* it does, but I'll have to go stick my ear up to it. Actually, I'm pretty positive it doesn't, it's too small to have one. It's only a couple of inches thick. I don't notice the fan on the MC.

Actually, now that I'm comparing the MC and HTC, you really don't miss that much with the HTC. You only get 2 analog outs instead of 3, but that's not really a big deal. I think also my MC has a component video out (although it's not shown in the pic on the website), but that's not important either for the GUI.

I'm hoping I'll find some use for all those contacts and relays, but otherwise I should have just waited for the HTC. Oh well, somebody's gotta go first!
post #282 of 1429 Old 08-11-2005, 08:36 PM

The main advantage of the media controller is for a customer who doesn't want to have to use a computer to add music. The price point on the HTC is just amazing for its capabilities. HTC and a couple speaker points make a killer distributed audio system.
post #283 of 1429 Old 08-11-2005, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I think the MC is a good product, especially in a turnkey application: builtin CD ripper, builtin hard disk. From an installer standpoint, easier to integrate a single box.

HTC is more of a budget approach, a bit more items to configure -- external hard disk or network mounted drive. But, the important part is that it's a full C4 Controller/Director -- that's what's great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post

... Oh well, somebody's gotta go first!

Oh yeah, baby, oh yeah!
post #284 of 1429 Old 08-11-2005, 10:28 PM

Now that I've playing with my Control4 setup for a couple nights...

I've noticed that if you remove and then add back the MC, it loses some of the cover art. I've had to search for cover art each time - though the media remains.

I also noticed that out of the 10 cd's I copied, it only automatically added cover art for 1 or 2, the rest I had to search for - even though it found the CD info for all in the on-line database.

I'm also noticing that while copying a CD the MC performance slows down quite a bit - to the point I can't do much of anything else with it. The remote also displays "wait...." more often during this time. The remote seems to do this as well when it's at the edge of the wireless range.

I still haven't had any luck with the 777 setup via serial so no updates - anyone else have this setup yet?

I will be playing with the relays in the next week or so as I'm working on a way to have them control the pool and hot tub pumps (240v).
post #285 of 1429 Old 08-11-2005, 11:00 PM

I just connected to Director to check for updates and the update utility froze. After 10 minutes or so with no activity, I selected "cancel". Once I cancelled out, I was unable to connect to the MC through composer. It couldn't find it on the network.

I rebooted, MC hung on splash screen with "Please wait" and a black cursor blinking in upper left hand side of screen. The MC appears connected to the network - front panel is lit up, I can see the IP address. Nothing else works.

Tried reset button from right front panel, same results - hangs on Control4 splash screen.

I'll go back and re-read the documentation.... but any ideas on how to get the MC back?
post #286 of 1429 Old 08-12-2005, 12:36 AM

I attended Control4 training in SLC a couple of weeks ago and we were told that the Home Theater Receiver controller and Amp Switch Controller are being delayed to Winter 2005/2006. So don't even think about 'em! It was a consensus among the dealers at the training that there really isn't a big demand for those two items and we could do just fine without them.

Eric
post #287 of 1429 Old 08-12-2005, 01:58 AM

Also, C4 said that they checked with Sony about the DVP-CX777ES DVD changer, which some people had said was being discontinued. Sony told them it is not being discontinued.

Eric
post #288 of 1429 Old 08-12-2005, 04:54 AM

Is anyone actually using the HTC or MC to control a home theater setup? If so, I would like to know how well it is working for you.
post #289 of 1429 Old 08-12-2005, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egcarter View Post

Also, C4 said that they checked with Sony about the DVP-CX777ES DVD changer, which some people had said was being discontinued. Sony told them it is not being discontinued.

Eric

It's not going to be discontinued - it will be updated with new outputs and better processing. So i red somewhere.
post #290 of 1429 Old 08-12-2005, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayson View Post

The main advantage of the media controller is for a customer who doesn't want to have to use a computer to add music. The price point on the HTC is just amazing for its capabilities. HTC and a couple speaker points make a killer distributed audio system.

I agree 100%, but I think most folks who would have a system like this would likely have their music stored on a pc or at least be able to use a pc to transfer their music.

I actually think they should just leave the hard drive out of the Media Controller. Just have everything the same except you add your own hard drive. It would keep them from having to update the MC with bigger hard drives, would make the component cheaper, and if you already had your music on a drive, it would be plug and play.

And if folks are going to pay for an installation of this kind, they would likely do what Max did, pay a service to rip their music to a hard drive anyway.

Just my suggestions. It would be the same for Escient Fireballs. All I want from them is the software interface. Let me buy my own 300GB, 500GB, or 1TB drive. But they charge exorbitant amounts for the models that only differ by size of the hard drive (which costs them $200 more).
post #291 of 1429 Old 08-12-2005, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregun View Post

I just connected to Director to check for updates and the update utility froze. After 10 minutes or so with no activity, I selected "cancel". Once I cancelled out, I was unable to connect to the MC through composer. It couldn't find it on the network.

I rebooted, MC hung on splash screen with "Please wait" and a black cursor blinking in upper left hand side of screen. The MC appears connected to the network - front panel is lit up, I can see the IP address. Nothing else works.

Tried reset button from right front panel, same results - hangs on Control4 splash screen.

I'll go back and re-read the documentation.... but any ideas on how to get the MC back?

Let me make sure I understand, the update hung while you were updating the Composer software, correct? [not when you were updating the firmware via the System Manager, right?]

So what happened with the software update, did you ever get that to complete? Try going to Programs--Control4--Composer--Update Composer on your pc to finish the installation without connecting to Director. You may want to use system restore to go back before you tried that update.

If something has happened to the MC itself, I remember Brent Huskins telling me that they could send out a disc with the original drive image on it that you could put in the disc drive to reflash it.

Hope that helps.
post #292 of 1429 Old 08-12-2005, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Does the Control4 system allow for integration of a security system. Like turning a house alarm off or on via the remotes/touchpanels?

Thanks,
Andy
post #293 of 1429 Old 08-12-2005, 12:57 PM

Jacksonian - MC froze during a firmware update - I'm going to try a couple things later today, and Brent mentioned the restore from disk option.

He also found that the 777 serial requires a null modem cable. I'm headed to RadioShack to purchase an adapter.

If I can get the MC back online, I should have 777 integration shortly.
post #294 of 1429 Old 08-12-2005, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
AndyN: I'm pretty sure that this feature is in the works. At one time someone mentioned Control4 might team up with the GE Caddx system and have a stand alone Control4 labeled main security keypad that would integrate also. Not sure where any of that stands however. Hope this helps.

I'm very interested in this feature myself.
post #295 of 1429 Old 08-12-2005, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Oregun, I bet the restore disk is what it's going to take.

AndyN, I'm waiting to see what C4's options for security are as well. I have a standard (probably pretty pitiful) ADT system. I've been following the recent advances towards IP addressable wireless security products, so I'm excited about how C4 could fit in. As soon as things shape up I'll overhaul my whole system with cameras, etc... So I can monitor, arm, disarm, etc...remotely from the web.
post #296 of 1429 Old 08-12-2005, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to my visit with the local C4 rep.

Now to convince the wife that an LCD touchpad is a necessity.

Andy
post #297 of 1429 Old 08-12-2005, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Spivak View Post

Sean,

I think you could use Serial/IR extender (http://control4.com/cp/35-C1F2B324/index.htm) to control equipment that is in a different place than your MC / HTC is. I don't understand why you're trying to distribute IR, actually. It duplicates functionality to what C4 architecture provides.

Look at these diagrams on how to distribute audio. You can wired or wireless, or a combination of the two. http://www.control4.com/documents/technotes/0004-04.htm, http://www.control4.com/documents/technotes/0005-04.htm.

Max

Thank you for the information, I guess I was looking at it the wrong way. I was going to use the MC IR out's to each room then use an IR repeater to each device in that room. It make be a bit more costly to use the IR extender but thats how it should be done. Do you know if the extender will forward commands from the IR in to each of the IR out ports?
post #298 of 1429 Old 08-12-2005, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Spivak View Post

I think the MC is a good product, especially in a turnkey application: builtin CD ripper, builtin hard disk. From an installer standpoint, easier to integrate a single box.

HTC is more of a budget approach, a bit more items to configure -- external hard disk or network mounted drive. But, the important part is that it's a full C4 Controller/Director -- that's what's great!

Oh yeah, baby, oh yeah!

I have the MC but since I am still working on the house I have not worked with it much. Can I use an external MP3 storage on the network?
post #299 of 1429 Old 08-12-2005, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregun View Post

Jacksonian - MC froze during a firmware update - I'm going to try a couple things later today, and Brent mentioned the restore from disk option.

He also found that the 777 serial requires a null modem cable. I'm headed to RadioShack to purchase an adapter.

If I can get the MC back online, I should have 777 integration shortly.

Just as a note, the box runs some type of linux and if you watch the update it is installing packages. I scanned my MC when I first bought it and was able to telnet to the device on a high port I cant remember the port but from there I could initiate an update by typing update, reboot it etc. Not sure if this will work after initial setup but you can try it. From there you may be able to restart the update. I imagine the update process disables the services before update. Just guessing though

Search google for superscan and use that to find the open ports it was in the 1000-1900's I think. There will be one or two open ports just try them all.

from the command prompt or run type telnet ip port

Good luck!
post #300 of 1429 Old 08-12-2005, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My MC is working just fine, but just for giggles, I scanned it. Here's what it's showing:

* + 192.168.20.10
|___ 23 Telnet
|___ ........!......
|___ 139 NETBIOS Session Service
|___ 5020 zenginkyo-1
|___ 5800 Virtual Network Computing server
|___ 6000 6000-6063 X Window System

Telnetting to port 23 gives you the regular login prompt, but of course I don't know the username/password.

I tried VNC to port 5800, no luck.

Port 139 makes sense -- this is the shared drive.

I haven't tried X yet.

I *suspect* that port 5020 is used for Composer .NET framework to communicate with the MC, but I'm not sure.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page