Control4 FAQ, tips & tricks - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-01-2005, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tim,

Yes, metal in the structure of a house does interfere with wi-fi, cellphone and other electromagnetic signals. One can't tell just how it extreme it will be until you test it out.

Metal roofs also interfere with radio, cellphones, etc.

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2005, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGroom View Post

On another note, our house is plaster w/metal lathe in the walls. Anyone know if this will effect the wireless capabilities of the product?

Metal lathe - shouldn't be a problem unless holes in lathe it solid metal that blocks radio signals, plus you have doors and corridors for signal to travel thru
Old 09-01-2005, 03:08 PM

That metal lathe is a pain to try to cut through, went through a couple saw blades cutting holes for recessed lighting in the den. It doesn't seem to interfere with the wireless phone, but kills our cellphone reception. Guess I will have to keep my fingers crossed on this aspect.

Another question on adding a harddrive for mp3s. If you hook-up the harddrive directly to the back of a HTController, will I be able to transfer mp3s from my computer? Still not sure on the best way to accomplish this.

Tim
Old 09-01-2005, 04:39 PM

Jacksonian - thanks, exactly what I needed. I had been copying them individually via the MC, but already have them ripped to my pc. I'll try out the import feature.

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2005, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Oregun, if you have all of your mp3s in a folder or file, just go the media pane of the MC and use the Add button in the top right corner. I'd do it wired if you can, it will take about 1/4 the time. I'd just get it started and leave it for a couple of hours.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:58 PM

I recently purchased a MC and dimmers. The composer software didn't come with the MC and I am curious if it is possible to download via the web? I am very technical in nature and want to do this myself instead of paying an installer to have all of the fun doing it.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:50 PM

Hello,

Current Composer software is only for authorized dealers.

We have a media version for customers to edit their media.

Jim Gist
Dir Business Development
Control4
Old 09-01-2005, 08:52 PM

Hey guys,

The 777 will be replace but not until next year.

I assume it will have a single disc tray and HDMI

Jim Gist
Dir Business Development
Control4
Old 09-01-2005, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stash View Post

It's kinda a catch 22 right now. No IR codes means you can't us your own remote, using the C4 remote means suffering from lack of control. I would like to see a backlit remote with some activity buttons and a customizable lcd readout. I really like the Harmony design. It is nice to come home, pickup the remote, press the watch TV button, have the equipment turn on, and have associated custom commands available on the lcd. It would be great if C4 teamed up with Harmony to create a remote with the look and feel of the Harmony with the C4 brains and 2 way zigbee communication. I can dream can't I.

I will keep working on the commands and try to figure out what the DVR button does and how to assign codes to it. In the mean time I am going to go back to using individual remotes. It is a sad day when someone with an automation system has to resort back to using individual source remotes. With a name like Control4 you think they would be better at the "control" part, especially the system remote. I hope C4 follow a similar route that Crestron took when they OEM'd the philips pronto remote, albeit either with Harmony or Home Theater Master.

It sure would be nice to see Eric or Jim address some of the issues that have been raised.

Hey guys,

Sorry for the long absent. It's been a very busy summer.

With simple programming comes some restrictions.

Let's first start by chatting about use cases on the remote.

The '4' button as you know will turn on the system and launch the system command page. At this point you can navigate to what you want to watch.

you can also create custom button trys and build preference buttons for users and then program macros when those are selected.

When you do this you can also use the remote and by pressing the 'house' button you can access the custom buttons and launch the preference modes too.

The DVR button should be mapped to your DVR menu or as I did list of recorded events

As far as backlit and other form factor remotes we are looking into these types of options. Our main focus is to deliver the balance of promised products (about 7 left) and continue to make the software easier to install and use. After that we will focus on cool next additions

Thanks for all the support!

Jim Gist
Dir Business Development
Control4
Old 09-01-2005, 11:47 PM

Shouldn't the Media Controller, for $1,500, come with some sort of software so I can connect it? If not, why would an "authorized" Control 4 dealer sale this unit to me? Guess I need to speak with someone on the telephone from Control 4. If I knew I couldn't have done this myself I would have went with the Sonos or Nuvo for multi-room audio. What a headache!
Old 09-02-2005, 01:08 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry for the long absence guys (and gals)...I've been extremely busy.

The idea that a dealer would sell you ANY piece of Control 4 gear without properly supporting it is inexcusable. Control 4 cannot be sold as an out of the box solution. They are a long way from that. You can read about all of the self-installers here and know that it takes some effort to get a system up and going. Those that have done that have an arrangement in place for support with their dealer before they purchased their system. Most Control 4 dealers are not in a position to offer the support that's needed for self-installers to be successful. The last thing Control 4 wants to do is support end users on the telephone. They are in a much better position to just support the dealers and have been doing a great job at it I might add. I get straight answers and real solutions just about every time I or someone from my company calls.

To have a successful Control 4 system, you either need to have it professionally installed and programmed or you have to work with a dealer that's willing to support you directly under alternative arrangements.

Hilaldo, you've got a hard road ahead of you without the support of your dealer. I suggest you return the gear or come to an arrangement with your dealer. Otherwise, you'll have a nightmare on your hands.

Brent Huskins
Media Design
Old 09-02-2005, 01:09 AM
Advanced Member

If anyone has any questions on the latest news etc., feel free to ask.

Brent Huskins
Media Design
Old 09-02-2005, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Welcome back, Brent!

So, what are the latest C4 news, etc?
Old 09-02-2005, 07:24 AM

any news on LCD pads ?
Old 09-02-2005, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

The few unreleased items are scheduled for a 10/31 debut. This includes the wireless LCD keypads.

Everything else is becoming readily available as well. All of my backordered gear shipped out this week to me.

Brent Huskins
Media Design
Old 09-02-2005, 11:38 AM

Brent, welcome back!

Jim Gist, thanks for taking time to respond. I, as well as other I'm sure, am thankful that you take time to speak with our small group. I look forward to your october product release. I hope you get going on the new remote control sooner rather than later. Any word on the release of the IR codes?

Keep up the good work!
Old 09-02-2005, 01:02 PM

I second the request for IR support. I recently bought a Harmony 880 primarily for the other members of my house and it's going to be a tough sell to pry it out of my wife's hands when I get into my new house and expose her to Control4 equipment. She's hooked on the 'one touch' aspect...
Old 09-02-2005, 02:37 PM

I understand that the HTC can have external storage added and that you can manage storage connected over a network. However, does the HTC have the Online Music Recognition (cover art, artist info, etc.) feature found on the MC?

I haven't seen this stated specifically in the thread. I apologize for the post if I missed this somewhere.

Deedle
Old 09-02-2005, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedle View Post

I understand that the HTC can have external storage added and that you can manage storage connected over a network. However, does the HTC have the Online Music Recognition (cover art, artist info, etc.) feature found on the MC?

I haven't seen this stated specifically in the thread. I apologize for the post if I missed this somewhere.

Yes it does.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuskins View Post

If anyone has any questions on the latest news etc., feel free to ask.

Brent Huskins
Media Design

I have a question about three way switches. My understanding is you have one switch switching the load and the other a two button keypad. Is there any way I could use my existing 3way wiring with a two dimmers? If not can I configure the two button keypad to control the dimmer without an MC, my house is still going through a remodel and I would like to test the switches before the electrician leaves.

Thanks!

Sean
Old 09-02-2005, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spbarr View Post

Is there any way I could use my existing 3way wiring with a two dimmers?

No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spbarr View Post

If not can I configure the two button keypad to control the dimmer without an MC, my house is still going through a remodel and I would like to test the switches before the electrician leaves.

No, but the dimmers will function as dimmers without a controller. The controllability of the dimmer from keypads and other devices relies on the controller to coordinate those functions.

Brent Huskins
Media Design
Old 09-02-2005, 04:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spbarr
Is there any way I could use my existing 3way wiring with a two dimmers?

No

Brent - you sure about this ? I think dimmers come ready for 3 way wiring ?
Old 09-02-2005, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Positive
Old 09-02-2005, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuskins View Post

Positive

I trashed the manual. On a dimmer there is black, red and white wires for normal operation. And there is blue wire - i think it's for 2 way ? Or 2way is not the same as 3 way ?
Old 09-02-2005, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

You can't use them with traditional 3 ways...only C4 3 ways which aren't coming out any time soon if ever because of the 2 button keypad solution being able to do the same thing. You can even send the hot over the traveler if the 3 way location isn't wired with a hot already. It's really a more direct solution anyway. Easier for an electrician to understand also.

Brent Huskins
Media Design
Old 09-03-2005, 04:12 PM

Our prodcuts are dealer installed only.

We don't have a consumer support program.

Dealers must be trained and certified to install the product.

The dealer that sold you the prodcut should install you gear.

Thanks

Jim Gist
Director of Business Development
Control4
Old 09-03-2005, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirill View Post

any news on LCD pads ?

Hey guys,

The LCD's are coming long nicely and are moving into UL.

This will be the hold up.

I'll keep you posted.

Jim
Old 09-03-2005, 04:18 PM

Hey again,

THe HTC is a broadband device like the other controllers.

So you can manage your media from a remote network driver, USB drive or even an IPOD.

The IPOD (with MP3's) is very cool because you can play several streams from it at once and control it with our remote.

Also if you unplug it the media disappears from the user interface and then reappears once it is plugged or docked back to the system.

Jim
Old 09-03-2005, 04:20 PM

Hello,

Regarding the 3-way, you'll need to use our two button keypad to have this feature.

A two button keypad can be wired just about anywhere you have 120VAC

Jim
Old 09-03-2005, 04:21 PM

Blue wire.

This was going to be used as a travel but we found issues with the installation and decided to implement the two button for three ways switches